gusmoore17

Harry Potter 2010 discussion thread

Thanks Christian!

I'll do some photo-editing to remove the white space and update the first post.

EDIT: First post updated, yays!

I wonder if the Lego Company ever considered making a UCS-Scale Hogwarts?

besides star wars have they even made a UCS for a licensed theme?

Yes, the Batmobile was an UCS. I think. Pretty sure though (I bought it for like 20 EURO, great parts pack). But a Hogwarts UCS model? That would be awesome, something like the new Architecture line. :thumbup:

oh yes the Batmobile, I wasn't really into the batman stuff when it was out.

About Hogwarts, I would rather it be more like the new Tower Bridge set, big and mostly accurate. The Architecture sets seem a little small to me. I wonder what LEGO would put in the information packet for that set :tongue:

I'm really looking forward to these!

I am definately getting that Hogwarts express! :wub:

It's easy to motorize it, if you have the city train set.

The battery box goes in the tender, the reciever goes in the cab, and the motor clips onto the chasis. Easy! :classic:

The only thing is in the burrow, in that scene in the film, Harry's torso is red, not blue!

Oh well. Lego these days :hmpf:

That new dobby looks awsome! :wub:

Argos are already advertising these in the new catalog!

Not long to go :classic:

Argos are already advertising these in the new catalog!

Not long to go :classic:

Woah. Did not expect that! Do they give prices, or just images?

Woah. Did not expect that! Do they give prices, or just images?

unfortunately no, it was just a banner saying "availible instore from october".

when i saw that i too got my hopes up :hmpf_bad:

Here's a quick photo while I have the catalogue to hand.

argos.jpg

Nothing to see, really.

Nothing to see, really.

Yeah, and the Hogwarts game isn't really even on page 1663. :wacko::laugh:

Yeah, and the Hogwarts game isn't really even on page 1663. :wacko::laugh:

It is in mine... keep in mind, I'm using the Irish catalogue.

Oh? I figured the catalogues would be identical but for the prices. There is an error in the UK calalogue, and I thought I would mention it because it took me a while to find the Lego Games pages in the store using their "helpful" indications! Well, never mind then! :blush:

Edited by Fugazi

The only thing is in the burrow, in that scene in the film, Harry's torso is red, not blue!

Oh well. Lego these days

:hmpf:

Edited by darthperson

Oh well. Lego these days :hmpf:

:hmpf:

The only thing is, in the books there wasn't even a scene like that. The Burrow didn't burn down.

Oh, well. Film makers these days! :cry_sad:

But I'm not complaining anymore. Thanks to that ridiculous scene we got the best set that's part of the new LEGO Harry Potter theme! Yay! :thumbup:

Let me be the first to say I'm against a UCS Hogwarts. What good is a giant, expensive Lego model of the most magical place on earth if you can only look at it after building? I think it's much better if they just keep making the playsets with minifigs and do the best job they can on those.

Let me be the first to say I'm against a UCS Hogwarts. What good is a giant, expensive Lego model of the most magical place on earth if you can only look at it after building? I think it's much better if they just keep making the playsets with minifigs and do the best job they can on those.

To some extent i agree that the smaller sets are more mobile, and allow greater playability, and i honestly doubt that TLG will ever design this :hmpf_bad: , but it would be an awesome repository of tan bricks. Also, it would be at least as usable as most of the UCS line (ISD, the Millennium Falcon especially, etc), none of which had interior, since a UCS Hogwarts would most likely have some form of interior, or removable levels. If it was designed well, it could easily be a great set.

Just my two cents... (or if one is ever officially released, $300+ :wink: )

Edited by Sirius Black

Well, at least the SW UCS sets tend to be actual minifig-scale and have some interior (like the Falcon and Imperial Shuttle) and are nice to look at with all their greeble, and the Batmobile had some playability, but a UCS Hogwarts would just be a beefier version of the playset minus the interior, minifigs, and play features, and would still not be true minfig-scale. And if it doesn't have an interior, it's no fun since Hogwarts is all about the magical adventures that take place inside, not its facade.

And if you're just interested in tan bricks, you can just get multiples of the playset, or go to PAB or Bricklink. :wink:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

A playable UCS Hogwarts would be brilliant... but I'm not holding my breath. Besides, wasn't that idea at the heart of the original concept back in 2001? You can stick as many of the individual Hogwarts sets together as you like and still keep on expanding. The same is true today! Of course, it's not to scale height and depth wise but seriously who has that much room? Even the super-expensive Taj Mahal is on a 48x48 footprint and still unsatisfying in terms of detail.

As a little weekend project I've been studying the flickr pics of the new castle and trying to build it from scratch from parts (obviously some things are missing like 2x2 red-brown windows or tan corner walls which don't yet exist) but from what I've seen the 4842 is the most brick-intensive and solid Hogwarts yet. Buy 4 of these on sale and you'll be able to make your own UCS model, no question default_blink.gif

I think it was mentioned before, but maybe an Architecture-scale Hogwarts. :classic:

A playable UCS Hogwarts would be brilliant... but I'm not holding my breath. Besides, wasn't that idea at the heart of the original concept back in 2001? You can stick as many of the individual Hogwarts sets together as you like and still keep on expanding. The same is true today! Of course, it's not to scale height and depth wise but seriously who has that much room? Even the super-expensive Taj Mahal is on a 48x48 footprint and still unsatisfying in terms of detail.

As a little weekend project I've been studying the flickr pics of the new castle and trying to build it from scratch from parts (obviously some things are missing like 2x2 red-brown windows or tan corner walls which don't yet exist) but from what I've seen the 4842 is the most brick-intensive and solid Hogwarts yet. Buy 4 of these on sale and you'll be able to make your own UCS model, no question default_blink.gif

It was the idea of the original series, but the main problem with them is that they weren't meant to be an accurate representation of Hogwarts from the exterior or interior. The main castle especially is very weak in design, at least to me, when compared to the real thing.

I definitely agree that the newest one has an excellent selection of parts, and some of it is fairly accurate. I was thinking that if the rest of Hogwarts was built in a similar scale, it could end up being a 4-5000 piece model. While I don't expect this to ever be done, it would be a must-have if it were released.

Well, at least the SW UCS sets tend to be actual minifig-scale and have some interior (like the Falcon and Imperial Shuttle) and are nice to look at with all their greeble, and the Batmobile had some playability, but a UCS Hogwarts would just be a beefier version of the playset minus the interior, minifigs, and play features, and would still not be true minfig-scale. And if it doesn't have an interior, it's no fun since Hogwarts is all about the magical adventures that take place inside, not its facade.

And if you're just interested in tan bricks, you can just get multiples of the playset, or go to PAB or Bricklink. :wink:

The falcon didnt have any interior, unless you count the 4 seats in the cockpit and the gunners seat. Most UCS models are designed to be accurate on the exterior only, look at the RBR, ISD, DSII, etc. Even if a Hogwarts was designed without interior, it would still be impressive, and would have the same intent as the UCS line, accuracy.

I probably will end up getting a lot of dupicates this year of 4842 though :wink:

Sirius

Edited by Sirius Black