Nabii

LEGO Collectable Minifigures General Discussion

They're all made of the Chinese plastic, and yes, it's infuriating when there are slight colour differences. I tried mixing the Cheerleader up a bit by combining her with the fig pictured below (Cheerleader head and legs, this lady's hair and torso) and the head's different colour was extremely noticable. I took it apart, it looked too bad. twn078.jpg

I see a lot of people calling the surfer dude a favourite in Series 2, why is that? Is it just the barechested torso, or are there other reasons? He's low on my own list of priorities.

There are some things that could make it better:

-Dark tan hair

-Matching hair/facial hair

-Not copying off of other minifigs

Whoever heard of a surfer with dark hair?!? Haha.

knowing TLC though, the hoplite will be only 3 per box. same with pharoah, surfer dude, babewatch babe. anything from new molds will be just 3 per box. just take a look at series 1 and take an educated guess. :tongue:

I've been away for some time and since it's been hot outside me and my niece have been playing outside, neglecting our Legos until yesterday... I felt guilty about it too for some reason. Anyway, I called the Local Lego store and they still have the minifigs. I'm having a rough month with bills but I'm going to see if I can be a full box so that me and my niece can pick the ones we want then sell the doubles. I'm a bit saddened that they are only doing this for one month per series. Lego says they are caught by surprise at the demand but I don't understand how they couldn't have forseen these would be immensely popular especially at the price. Situations like these have all the ebayers going to the stores buying them all out then selling them for more money online. I can't understand why they are only selling for 1 month. So basically you only have one month to collect them in the stores or else you have to pay a premium through online resellers.

I've been away for some time and since it's been hot outside me and my niece have been playing outside, neglecting our Legos until yesterday... I felt guilty about it too for some reason. Anyway, I called the Local Lego store and they still have the minifigs. I'm having a rough month with bills but I'm going to see if I can be a full box so that me and my niece can pick the ones we want then sell the doubles. I'm a bit saddened that they are only doing this for one month per series. Lego says they are caught by surprise at the demand but I don't understand how they couldn't have forseen these would be immensely popular especially at the price. Situations like these have all the ebayers going to the stores buying them all out then selling them for more money online. I can't understand why they are only selling for 1 month. So basically you only have one month to collect them in the stores or else you have to pay a premium through online resellers.

Welcome to the world of supply and demand. Since we have economically speaking a rather difficult period, some people could use an extra buck with not too much extra trouble. Even people who are not regular sellers are drawn to stores if they know that they can make easy money by buying some small figs and sell them a few days later at a premium. I am truly wondering how things are going to be let's say 2 years from now. What will these figs sell for? I mean, these figs already sell for prices between like $4 and $8 (and more) on bricklink and they are not even completely sold out everywhere.

As we know, series 1 caught TLG by surprise and this first batch of figs will most likely remain the rarest of all as their supply is insufficient in comparison with the demand for them. Prices will rise as soon as all stores are emptied completely (which will soon happen if people keep on hoarding the figs and sealed boxes) and as soon as the secondary market will become the only place to acquire them. Also, the army builder figs like the ancient soldier will ost likely sell well over time, I am sure.

The problem with supply and demand is about half the people wanting these minifigs also want them to resell and the smaller portion who want them want them for a set to collect and an even smaller portion want them for building armies and such, as to the ancient Greek/Roman warrior if I can get them for $2-2.50 fine but beyond that I'll just continue to build my armies with Brickforge accs. and minifigs with my own decal designs, since that is more cost effective for me, already people are slowing down on buying these on the secondary market so prices will eventually go down on them with them avg. $3-4 ea. with the rare few going for a few dollars more, remember supply and demand goes both ways, right now the prices are going up because of the hype, but the hype doesn't last long and prices will drop.

I used to collect Beanie Babies but when they started hitting retail stores I knew their time was up so sold everything, made a pretty penny, 2 weeks later even the retired bears were not worth more then a couple of dollars ea. if lucky, and they still haven't recovered, maybe in about 10-15 years they may but not now.

It's possible that prices may drop in a few months, however if these collectable figures prove hard to come by on the secondary market I'd imagine that prices may remain fairly inflated for the foreseeable future. I don't expect that they will ever reach the utterly absurd prices that Batman figures currently sell for however I'm certainly not expecting that you will be able to pick them up for $1.99 either.

As for series 2, I would hazard to guess that it will be just as difficult to acquire as series 1 given that our resident insider grogall has indicated that production for series 2 finished in May. Now it's possible that LEGO will rethink things for series 3 but I expect that series 2 will have similar production numbers as series 1. I just hope that the hoplite is produced in higher numbers (i.e. 5) as opposed to being a hard to get figure however with the number of new accessories he comes with I get the unsettled feeling that he will be 3 per case.

Somebody important confirmed that the minifigs were being produced in equal quantities, didn't they? I don't know where the quote is. Not all boxes had the same breakdown, but there were definitely patterns. And the thing about new molds meaning lower production doesn't hold up. Here's what whitefang got, which seems to be a dominant pattern in Europe:

4 Cavemen

3 Cheerleaders

3 Circus Clowns

4 Cowboys

5 Deep Sea Divers

5 Demolition Dummies

4 Forestmen

4 Magicians

5 Ninja

3 Nurses

4 Robots

3 Skaters

4 Spacemen

3 Super Wrestler

3 Tribal Hunters

3 Zombies

The wrestler and zombie have no new parts, but only appeared three times. The zombie's chickenleg is slightly different from the normal, but so is the diver's visor and the forestman's bow. The Spaceman is loaded down with new parts but appeared four times. The Skater only has new hair but came up three times.

The most valuable ones are the ones that most people are actively trying to get. It's nothing to do with variations in supply.

Confirmed USA purchase at Five Below last night. There they were, just short of a full box, sitting there in some dumpy little aisle not that far from the door. If TRU is concerned about pickpockets, either 5B isn't worried or just doesn't have a clue, because the morally corrupt would have no problem getting these out the door.

Grabbed another cheerleader, another forestman, a second ninja, and one last cowboy (for the guns!), all at $1.99 each. I think I'm officially done with Series 1.

My advice to Americans who have yet to lock down a full set is to pay close attention to this site, and when someone reports a new vendor, GO there that very day before everyone else catches on. I bet if I go back to Five Below even today, it'll probably be cleaned out. Pay close attention to the reports here and act on them quickly. Worked for me.

Somebody important confirmed that the minifigs were being produced in equal quantities, didn't they? I don't know where the quote is. Not all boxes had the same breakdown, but there were definitely patterns. And the thing about new molds meaning lower production doesn't hold up. Here's what whitefang got, which seems to be a dominant pattern in Europe:

The wrestler and zombie have no new parts, but only appeared three times. The zombie's chickenleg is slightly different from the normal, but so is the diver's visor and the forestman's bow. The Spaceman is loaded down with new parts but appeared four times. The Skater only has new hair but came up three times.

The most valuable ones are the ones that most people are actively trying to get. It's nothing to do with variations in supply.

No, there was never a statement that they would be produced in equal quantities, just that there would be three complete sets in each box, randomly distributed. The randomly distributed has been called into question by the fact that Whitefangs reported distribution has been repeated so often that any other distribution can safely put down to tampered with boxes.

Since the least sort after figures seem to be divers and crash test dummies, and the most sort after are cheerleaders and zombies, It appears to me we're seeing a combination of the two effects.

Confirmed USA purchase at Five Below last night. There they were, just short of a full box, sitting there in some dumpy little aisle not that far from the door. If TRU is concerned about pickpockets, either 5B isn't worried or just doesn't have a clue, because the morally corrupt would have no problem getting these out the door.

Grabbed another cheerleader, another forestman, a second ninja, and one last cowboy (for the guns!), all at $1.99 each. I think I'm officially done with Series 1.

My advice to Americans who have yet to lock down a full set is to pay close attention to this site, and when someone reports a new vendor, GO there that very day before everyone else catches on. I bet if I go back to Five Below even today, it'll probably be cleaned out. Pay close attention to the reports here and act on them quickly. Worked for me.

Surely, the hype will go down some day but some figs remain hard to get, especially those that are collected in larger quantities such as the cheerleader which actually seems to fit those not much liked NBA and soccer sets that TLG marketed a few years ago.

What worked for me is driving to smaller towns with at least 1 toy store and/or a retailer/wholesaler (such as Woolworth and Galeria Kaufhof in Germany) known to sell Lego products. That is where I got most of my figs. Don't go to obvious places (i.e. shopping malls and shopping streets) where everyone is shopping but go to those small, neglected, forgotten and remote areas that only serve the local population. They usually have more interesting things left that are worth buying as well. I managed to find a couple Indiana Jones sets (2 copies of Venice Canal Chase) and Spongebob sets (Mrs. Puff's boating school and 2 copies of that orange bus set) on clearance (they were all marked half off) the other day. Lucky me! :cry_happy:

I've never heard of Five Below before, and when I tried to find a store on their website there wasn't one within 100 miles of me. :sad: I should be going to Target today, however, so I'll be on the lookout there.

Note to self, buying 67 bags is not the same as a sealed box. I got 8 crash test dummies, 7 spacemen, and a decent number of the rest except the zombie and clown. Only one of each. Which of course are the ones I wanted most.

Time to buy more or trade I guess.

If anyone is in Copenhagen, Denmark or is wanting to visit, I would recommend the large supermarket chain BILKA outside Copenhagen in Ishøj where I saw a 3 level tower 2m high of the minifigures filled with at least 3 boxes. BILKA does have great prices when there is a sale usually 25% off sometimes. It took me about 5 min to actually find some cheerleaders and it does seem some other people have gone through the stack. There was even presence of one torn up bag, but plentiful for anyone wanting a full set.

I guess not a lot of people buy LEGO in Denmark as the market is very low. We don't have a official store only at the airport past security which you need a flight ticket for and also no LEGO Club. There are plenty of minifigures in supermarkets BILKA, Føtex and toy stores such as BR and Hamleys in Magasin in Copenhagen city. I guess that is the reason why there are so many minifigures but I think when series 2 comes out the residual series 1 might be relocated abroad

Note to self, buying 67 bags is not the same as a sealed box. I got 8 crash test dummies, 7 spacemen, and a decent number of the rest except the zombie and clown. Only one of each. Which of course are the ones I wanted most.

D'oh! Although I'd be happy with 7 spacemen.

Yeah thats a shame, seems like someone had already raked through. Glad you managed to pick some up though, now you have a few to trade for the ones you want (just like lego always wanted!)

really? check again. the 3x figures consistently price higher than others on BL. i have gone through 10 boxes and every single one only has 3 cheerleaders. if anyone found 4 from a sealed box, i would like to know.

really? check again. the 3x figures consistently price higher than others on BL. i have gone through 10 boxes and every single one only has 3 cheerleaders. if anyone found 4 from a sealed box, i would like to know.

Actually there were 4 in ea. of the sealed boxs I got at my local TRU. (and no not keeping them they're going to some christmas function at the Elks for kids.)

Edited by Asterios

Actually there were 4 in ea. of the sealed boxs I got at my local TRU. (and no not keeping them they're going to some christmas function at the Elks for kids.)

My box of 60 (which arrived from S@H today) had the following:

5 ninjas

5 divers

5 crash test dummies

4 forestmen

4 magicians

4 cowboys

4 spacemen

4 cavemen

4 robots

3 wrestlers

3 clowns

3 cheerleaders

3 nurses

3 skaters

3 tribal hunters

3 zombies

Edit: So, the same contents as the European boxes.

Edited by Edmond Dantes

Interesting. This is the first time I've heard of a case with a different distribution ratio. So far everybody (European and North American) has reported that certain figs like the Cheerleader have been only 4 to a case. Asterios, did you buy the entire case or did you just look at the barcodes? In either case, I'm wondering if anybody else has seen a case variant.

Interesting. This is the first time I've heard of a case with a different distribution ratio. So far everybody (European and North American) has reported that certain figs like the Cheerleader have been only 4 to a case. Asterios, did you buy the entire case or did you just look at the barcodes? In either case, I'm wondering if anybody else has seen a case variant.

Cheerleaders have been reported as three to a case along with Native Hunter, Clown, Zombie, Skater, Wrestler, and Nurse.

4 to a case means only 2 to a box which would be less then what some are reporting, also i'm not the only one I've heard with 4 Cheerleaders in a box, and yes visually verified the barcode on the figs in the 2 sealed boxs I bought, (they never hit the sales floor).

from what I can tell so far 80% of reported boxes have 3 per box and 20% has 4 per box, heard a wild tale of someone finding 5 cheerleaders in a box, but nothing else heard on that, I imagine 3 per box is the average with 4 in a box being rare until more pop up, might have been a certain production period on the boxs not sure though.