Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

LEGO Pirates - fictional or realistic?

Would you prefer Lego Pirates to:  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer Lego Pirates to:

• Be realistic, with only people, ships etc. from real life
    • Include fantastic elements such as monsters etc.

If anything could make it more realistic, probably having a galley stove funnel coming out of the deck. But I do say it is the best ship ever.

Well, based on the size of the BSB, it's either a Brigantine (smaller than Brig or Brig o' War) or a Sloop o' War (Bigger than sloop).

Based on no particular evidence, I'd say no, there shouldn't be one. Besides, it's not like the BSB could have any plausible below-decks, anyway.

Another think to make it realsitic is cut down the stern. In fact, I would have been very happy had it been something like Phred's HMS Charlie.

If anything could make it more realistic, probably having a galley stove funnel coming out of the deck. But I do say it is the best ship ever.

Well, based on the size of the BSB, it's either a Brigantine (smaller than Brig or Brig o' War) or a Sloop o' War (Bigger than sloop).

Based on no particular evidence, I'd say no, there shouldn't be one. Besides, it's not like the BSB could have any plausible below-decks, anyway.

Another think to make it realsitic is cut down the stern. In fact, I would have been very happy had it been something like Phred's HMS Charlie.

I would say that the BSB could have a lower deck. It would actually be quite a small ship, but it would have a cargo deck below a gun deck and then the top deck. It is a great ship though.

I'll be alright with some fantasy, especially as it's established that there will be at least two human factions already. So if they want to make some sets "Pirates vs. Squid" or "Soldiers vs. Skeletons", I'm alright with that. I'd PREFER that they stick with mostly humans, but if incorporating some fantasy well help sell the line and keep it around for years to come, it's alright in my book.

BSB is definitely a brig. The designation of a brig refers not to size, but to the ship's rigging. BSB being rigged square, with two masts...she qualifies as a brig. A brigantine would be a ship with a square-rigged foremast and a fore-and-aft rigger mainmast... and maybe this should become a separate thread.

I would say that the BSB could have a lower deck. It would actually be quite a small ship, but it would have a cargo deck below a gun deck and then the top deck. It is a great ship though.

A ship as small as the BSB would carry its guns on the main deck; a lower deck devoted to guns would make the ship FAR too tall for its length.

I'll be alright with some fantasy, especially as it's established that there will be at least two human factions already. So if they want to make some sets "Pirates vs. Squid" or "Soldiers vs. Skeletons", I'm alright with that. I'd PREFER that they stick with mostly humans, but if incorporating some fantasy well help sell the line and keep it around for years to come, it's alright in my book.

BSB is definitely a brig. The designation of a brig refers not to size, but to the ship's rigging. BSB being rigged square, with two masts...she qualifies as a brig. A brigantine would be a ship with a square-rigged foremast and a fore-and-aft rigger mainmast... and maybe this should become a separate thread.

A ship as small as the BSB would carry its guns on the main deck; a lower deck devoted to guns would make the ship FAR too tall for its length.

So this ship isn't as realistic as we originally thought. So the BSB gun deck would be for cargo, and the deck above that would have the cannons right?

So this ship isn't as realistic as we originally thought. So the BSB gun deck would be for cargo, and the deck above that would have the cannons right?

I always think off it as a frigate (class 4 or 5), but i must admit i add the other guns in my mind, its simply impossible to produce a larger, 2 or 3 deck ship for TLC because few people can afford it...

We all know some people are building great-looking realistal ships (the HMS Victory, the Dutch prins Willem,...) but i think we cant compare some basic Legosets to THOSE superprojects.

Pirates didnt have Class 1 (or 2) vessels at all, if I remember right, i never heard of a 100+gun pirate ship, if we exclude the ones that were seized by mutiny - mutineers arent real pirates i think)

BTW Even a Brigantine of a Sloop o' War had more then 8 crewmen... You need (as a standard) 6 men per gun (or at least 4 for a small 6pounder)

Pirates didnt have Class 1 (or 2) vessels at all, if I remember right, i never heard of a 100+gun pirate ship, if we exclude the ones that were seized by mutiny - mutineers arent real pirates i think)

BTW Even a Brigantine of a Sloop o' War had more then 8 crewmen... You need (as a standard) 6 men per gun (or at least 4 for a small 6pounder)

Pirates took what they could get when it came to ships, but often preffered small light weight fast sail boats to raid treasure ships. If you look back in history, very few pirates actually had ships.

In regards to the gun crews I agree, although will only ever have two men in my MOC's so as I don't run out of people.

I prefer realistic, there are too few LEGO things that are actually based on real life things. Also would look way better then the other themes. I do say that something like pirates of the carabian would be a nice addon aswell although it should not be the main thing. perhaps a healthy mix?

Definatly realistic. I was going to start collecting the castle line, to get a change from Star Wars, but once the Goblins were put in, I decided I will just wait till the next line of castle comes out.

So I'll definatly be getting the Pirate sets, lets just hope they don't start making zombie pirates...

im surprised at the way the pole is right now! most in favor of realistically... i think a "davy jones" type ship would be cool... and giant sea monsters(obviously not something lego has invented, for it would look like crap)

i think aquaraiders stuff made good aditions to my pirate collection. cant wait for the octopus in the upcoming atlantis sets.

Well most of the stuff made is Realistic, such as islanders and ports

I like it much better that way anyway

So I voted for Realistic

Now being realistic can include sets that feature sea creatures, like a giant squid because that is a real animal

Also calling a regular dark red octopus a kraken is ok too :pir-grin:

I would like my LEGO pirates to stay realistic, fantasy is left for the movies

:shark:

I'm not a big fan of fantasy, so 3/4 times when I build a MOC, its normal.

Fantasy ruins it in a way, but I tolerate it.