Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

Eurobricks Town Community Build

Eurobricks Town Community Build sidewalk standard  

46 members have voted

1. 1. In our Community Town, would you prefer plain baseplates or would you rather build a sidewalk?

• Plain baseplates
    • Build a sidewalk
  2. 2. Would you prefer a sidewalk using tiles or plates?

• Tiles
    • Plates
  3. 3. Should the sidewalk be one plate or two plates high?

• 1 plate
    • 2 plates
  4. 4. Should our community use the same pattern as the current LEGO modular sets?

• Yes, let's match the current pattern!
    • No way! We should build our own and express some creativity with it!

Well, looky here, the pickiest chandelier inspector in all of Lego County! :tongue: I was hoping for tiles 1 high.

You must of been watching our site for a while... Anyhoo I like the sidewalks 2 high and tiled. Just a better way in my opinion.

Stupid juckfozzer, that's not a rick-roll,

:tongue: You don't know how hard you made me laugh when you wrote that. (I didn't do it though). I wonder how many people you've gotten......

:tongue: You don't know how hard you made me laugh when you wrote that. (I didn't do it though). I wonder how many people you've gotten......

I did; All it is is a lazy cat

Yeah, I've been watching for a while. :wink: Isn't Hinckley funny? He made me laugh!

He may be funny but he's as dumb as a door knob :laugh: .

In regard to the recently announced Eurobricks Town Community Build we would hereby like to announce the following:

All your base are belong to us. :vader:

Get back on topic guys! Good thing I'm not your moderator :devil:

Guys, let's not de-railed away from this topic anymore. Let's stay focus on the intended discussion so we are able to conduct our Eurobricks Town Community Build, by first establishing our standards among our members whom are interested in this community project. Thanks. :classic:

Oh, I am serious by highlighting my point above.

Well, 19 have voted, and I was looking for 20. The results are in.

Results:

Build a sidewalk.

We are using tiles.

We are using 1 plate.

We will make our own pattern.

Mods may lock the topic if deemed necessary. :classic:

I did; All it is is a lazy cat

:hmpf_bad: Stupid boring-cat-roll ruiner...

In regard to the recently announced Eurobricks Town Community Build we would hereby like to announce the following:

All your base are belong to us. :vader:

Get back on topic guys! Good thing I'm not your moderator :devil:

:laugh: Thank you for adding your rational, non-disconcerting post. :tongue:

Guys, let's not de-railed away from this topic anymore. Let's stay focus on the intended discussion so we are able to conduct our Eurobricks Town Community Build, by first establishing our standards among our members whom are interested in this community project. Thanks. :classic:

Oh, I am serious by highlighting my point above.

Cheese it, we're in trouble! Everybody run!

Sorry, White Fang, everybody. I got too goofy. I blame the 2 x 4.

*but that was weeks ago*

Oh God, please don't let me start that... :hmpf:

No more goofing off without sticking to the topic!

Now, to lead by example, those who want 2 plate high sidewalks, would they step up? Would the first "step" be a gutter? Could there be a 1 x 2 space left from the bottom layer to look like drains? How do you envision a 2 plate high juckfozzer/sidewalk?

Now, to lead by example, those who want 2 plate high sidewalks, would they step up? Would the first "step" be a gutter? Could there be a 1 x 2 space left from the bottom layer to look like drains? How do you envision a 2 plate high juckfozzer/sidewalk?

Foot. Path. :tongue:

I think if the footpaths become two high, it would give a great opportunity to add little details like having the bottom layer plates being brown to represent dirt under the sidewalks, apart from the road side of the footpath, and the section below the gutter grill that can be a trans-clear or trans-blue colour to represent the water in the drain.

Of course, two plate high footpaths would take up far too much of my plate collection, so I would personally choose the 1 tile option. If I had more parts though, I would choose the 2 plate high, because it can add that extra touch that makes it look incredible. :classic:

I chose 2 plates for the same reason: an opportunity to have things like puddles and to add some texture to the ground or pavement.

However since dark bley has been banned from the approved paving colourss I fear I shall have nothing to add in any case :sceptic:

I think if the footpaths become two high, it would give a great opportunity to add little details like having the bottom layer plates being brown to represent dirt under the sidewalks, apart from the road side of the footpath, and the section below the gutter grill that can be a trans-clear or trans-blue colour to represent the water in the drain.

Indeed! This shall serve a great representation of details for the pavement/sidewalks. However, the limitations could be the lack of bricks or parts that could prevent you from expanding. Perhaps, any kind soul whom have some spare bricks by their side could provide us some visual appeal of these various options. I am sure it will be helpful to organise our thoughts much better. :blush:

Dear all,

another option could be to make the side-walks/ footpaths/ juckfozzer part of a road mudule.

Thus freeing up more space on the 16 x16 and 32 x 32 base plates for building.

And this would also allow people who do not have an appropriate amount of dark (bley) grey tiles to build sections for the community town.

Just my two cents.

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

I like the way this is evolving. I would like to see a pavement used with the standard LEGO baseplates (I have a stack of these so it helps me use my collection effectively) with one layer of tiles straight on top of the baseplate. Although if someone wished to introduce a more run-down building I think a mixture of tiles and plates will represent deterioration more accurately.

I think we should create our own "standard" as this will give the collective build more originality. I don't understand why dark bley tiles can't be used though for the pavement? Surely a mix of the two would allow a "worn" look?

PS - Pavement should be the standard term for sidewalk (US term) or juckfozzer (made-up Aussie term) since this is EURObricks! :tongue:

Dear all,

I have another more practical question:

- If we are going to use SNOT roads, which will at least be one stud high this requires the entrances of the buildings to be raised.

- If we would make SNOT roads 2 studs thick the entrances need to raise to at least 5 plates height.

Somehow I think we should find a consensus on this matter. Before we can start any construction.

Kind regards,

Teddy

<edit: If we use standard LEGO road plates this problem does not occur, in the sence that the door should be one plate heigh due to the pavement .

Question than is which LEGO roadplate would we use. They tend to be verry different. >

Edited by Teddy

In my opinion I'd prefer road baseplates over SNOT roads as it keeps things simple. I don't really think the difference between baseplates is such a big issue as could we not keep regions with similar road baseplates grouped together? The new style baseplates are dark bley anyway so this would approximate the predominant pavement tile colour (i.e. dark gray).

SNOT roads would add to the realism but I think it would have to be well co-ordinated and possibly scare off some of the less adventurous builders. Not trying to be a Sally-spoil-it-all but I am just trying to keep the expectations realistic for our first communiy build! :thumbup:

Dear all,

another option could be to make the side-walks/ footpaths/ juckfozzer part of a road mudule.

Thus freeing up more space on the 16 x16 and 32 x 32 base plates for building.

And this would also allow people who do not have an appropriate amount of dark (bley) grey tiles to build sections for the community town.

Just my two cents.

Teddy

That is exactly what we are proposing. The only way to make a modular City work with other people is for plates to be able to separate, thus the standard of building the shops, houses, etc... only on 16 x 16, 32 x 32, etc...

Dear all,

I have another more practical question:

- If we are going to use SNOT roads, which will at least be one stud high this requires the entrances of the buildings to be raised.

- If we would make SNOT roads 2 studs thick the entrances need to raise to at least 5 plates height.

Somehow I think we should find a consensus on this matter. Before we can start any construction.

Kind regards,

Teddy

<edit: If we use standard LEGO road plates this problem does not occur, in the sence that the door should be one plate heigh due to the pavement .

Question than is which LEGO roadplate would we use. They tend to be verry different. >

I don't think anyone has suggested building SNOT roads.

As far as which baseplates, I guess the most logical solution would be to use the ones that TLG makes now. That way people have easy access to them. It's a good idea to discuss it.

That is exactly what we are proposing. The only way to make a modular City work with other people is for plates to be able to separate, thus the standard of building the shops, houses, etc... only on 16 x 16, 32 x 32, etc...

I don't think anyone has suggested building SNOT roads.

As far as which baseplates, I guess the most logical solution would be to use the ones that TLG makes now. That way people have easy access to them. It's a good idea to discuss it.

Dear Hinckley,

I was refering to the discussion we had regarding pavement in which it was not clear weather it is part of the building module or a raod module.

After much consideration, I think we should make them Cafe Corner style. :sweet:

Cafe corner implies part of the building module.

I'm only suggesting that that would not be practical for sertain members and that pavement should be part of a road module.

As for the roads. I was replying to this comment:

I say we do standard snotted roads.

I was not introducing this nor making a dissision, but remarking the pros and cons.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just trying to get things clear.

kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

I was refering to the discussion we had regarding pavement in which it was not clear weather it is part of the building module or a raod module.

Cafe corner implies part of the building module.

I'm only suggesting that that would not be practical for sertain members and that pavement should be part of a road module.

Teddy, are you suggesting that we should have separate categories for building modules and road modules as 2 separate basic building entities? In other words, we will have 4 basic road plates for consideration, which are T junction, Cross road, Straight road and curved road?

I am not sure what are the general feel about this, but I am fine with any of the settings, as long we can make building a pleasant experience. :classic:

Teddy, are you suggesting that we should have separate categories for building modules and road modules as 2 separate basic building entities? In other words, we will have 4 basic road plates for consideration, which are T junction, Cross road, Straight road and curved road?

I am not sure what are the general feel about this, but I am fine with any of the settings, as long we can make building a pleasant experience. :classic:

Dear WhiteFang,

I was pointing to these two options as depicted below:

building1jpg.jpg

Were in option 1 the roads include pavement and are also 32 x 32 modules. Like in regular Lego base plates.

Or option 2 which is cafe corner style where the pavement is part of the 32 x 32 of the building and the roads are smaller modules.

In my opinion option 1 is preferable. But from the discussion in both topics it was not clear which one we would use.

I'm trying to clearify this. :classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

I prefer option 1, with the juckfozzers as part of the road modules. People would have to remember that any steps or porches that overlap with the pavement would need elevating one plate (or 2 if that standard is chosen). Of course, even if we chose option 1, that doesn't mean people can't have a bit of juckfozzer on their building plate. We don't want it looking to regular and inorganic, or do we....?

Laurie

Edited by SeaKing61

I would prefer option 1 from Teddy's suggestions. That way the buildings can be positioned to the road more randomly (and realistically) and there is scope for building self-contained harbour or other off-road buildings.

I also agree with comments above regarding pavement going onto some modules to keep it feeling more realistic and less regular.

Edited by Basiliscus

Tiles? Really guys? Don't you realise: 1. They're not nearly as much in supply for the average builder 2. Nothing will be able to stand on the sidewalk

Yes they may look better, but is that worth everyone participating with a limited supply having to immediately visit BL?

Tiles? Really guys? Don't you realise: 1. They're not nearly as much in supply for the average builder 2. Nothing will be able to stand on the sidewalk

Yes they may look better, but is that worth everyone participating with a limited supply having to immediately visit BL?

They are commonly available in LEGO stores and on PaB as well. I intersperse jumper plates in order to have places to stand. Although, it is a good point that if we bring these to conventions, we will need to be able to afix the figs to studs. Having a jumper plate every other tile, may actually limit the action that can be created in street scenes...

I ordered a bunch of 2x2 bley tiles from pick-a-brick a couple of months ago and they've really lasted. Well worth the investment in my opinion if you want quality juckfozzers (and what kind of fool doesn't want a quality juckfozzer?). You could also use 1x2 tiles to make patterns as long as you have some 1x1s to fill in the gaps. The pavements in a town will vary enormously. I could go outside and find a number of different patterns and colours of paving slab. I've mixed bley and dark bley in my town and use lots of different size tiles. I reckon even plates could be used as not all juckfozzers are paved. A black plate would resemble a tarmac portion of juckfozzer quite well in my opinion. Variety is the spice of life when it comes to juckfozzers. This isn't like the community castle build where a solid continuous wall was a necessity.

Reading this post back it appears I spend a lot of time studying paving. This isn't entirely true, I just love juckfozzers.

Laurie