Brickaholic

Eurobricks Community Build-Lego County

I'm thinking that a 64x64 building would be huge. The largest buildings in the castle community project is 32x32, and I think that's good enough for something that tall. Plus I think the tallest it should be is 10 stories or 100 bricks.

I'm thinking that a 64x64 building would be huge. The largest buildings in the castle community project is 32x32, and I think that's good enough for something that tall. Plus I think the tallest it should be is 10 stories or 100 bricks.

Industrial buildings, downtown train stations, courthouses, libraries, hotels can easily become a 64 x 64 structure...

I agree with Hinckley for a change (you know I love you man)

32x32 isn't big at all in this setting. 64x64 is a good max for people who are up for it.

Edited by Aliencat

I agree with Hinckley for a change (you know I love you man)

32x32 isn't big at all in this setting. 64x64 is a good max for people who are up for it.

:tongue:

Absolutely. And the smaller shops in the residential/commercial district could be as thin as a 16x16, that is more of a neighborhood zone, but in the high-rise zone, look out! I suppose people could get even bigger. There are buildings in Chicago that take up full city blocks.

I think it's a great idea! Maybe I'll try a governmental building :thumbup:

There are buildings in Chicago that take up full city blocks.

Your house I suppose? :tongue:

Hey Brickaholic (and the others involved in planning this)

Can I have a 96x48 studs (that's two 48x48 next to eachother for the math-impaired) on the edge of this for a "big industry" zone? I'm talking disgustingly polluting factories with smoke stacks and everything.

It can be on the outer edge somewhere because I realize 96x48 is hard to put somewhere in the middle of everything, and that would also make it more realistic: how many city centers have you seen with big industry right in the middle?

If it's possible/allowed then I would hereby like to claim my 96x48 studs land lot for this big industry stuff.

This is starting to sound even more thrilling! Aliencate mate, I can't wait to see what you come up with... Love all your town designs to bits, but this one sounds like it could be your best one yet!

P.S.: Oh, and since that parking lot thing obviously won't be a problem - count us in with another structure, which I'll just call the biking spot for now - Zone 3, 16x32 please. However, we'll only start working on that after we're done with the florist, so I hope you guys are not in too much of a hurry...

Edited by Asya & Bobby Otters

Any room for an abandoned/wrecked building? Perhaps on the edge of town? I always find myself trying harder when i'm making something in a "less than perfect" state :classic:

Any room for an abandoned/wrecked building? Perhaps on the edge of town? I always find myself trying harder when i'm making something in a "less than perfect" state :classic:

Arg, You took my second project idea. I was only seconds away from posting that...Oh well, I could always build something else.

Since we are now beginning to knock about ideas I'd like to propose that I build some kind of public sector building in a colonial style. It may be a diplomatic office, library, museum etc (something along those lines). The final use of the building I will determine once it's built! :tongue:

This is the kind of thing I am talking about:

vietnam_pack.JPG

I would ideally like this module to open up onto a town square of some description. So I am proposing that this whole module will cover 48x96 studs.

Is this acceptable?

(Will there be a time limit on the building phase? If so, can it be at least 3 months? :grin: )

EDIT: Apologies about the link. Hopefully this one will work better.

Edited by Basiliscus

Errrr...What's going to happen to this project now that Brickaholic is "Taking a Break"?

I hope that it doesn't interfer in project, as it's a good idea!

Regarding our mate who simply cannot lay off Brickahol, here's what happened in his "Hello" thread:

Topic closed because this member has been banned many times already in the past.

Obviously, he got this whole project started, so I do believe he should take credit for that. I don't know what the guy has done in the past, but he does seem like a nice chap to me.

As to the entire Community Build - we have to keep the momentum. At this stage, there's not too much left to clarify and we're almost done with planning. A map is not sorely needed and I think we can do without it for the time being. We have agreed on zones, sidewalks, building height etc.... what more do we need now, before this thing is official?

On a side note - I think that Hinckley could fuse the two themes which already exist regarding this project into one (the poll has pretty much fulfilled its purpose) and then we can start a new thread which would remain locked and just be a clear overview of the rules and guidelines for the Community Build with a plan of the zones and a map (if we can come up with one). That thread should also list the participants who have already confirmed they are taking part and their respective buildings. Naturally, it will have to be updated on a regular basis - and once the MOCs have been finished, they will also be put up in that same thread. What do you guys think, wouldn't that make things a bit more clear?

I too would like to see this continued, maybe even officialized. An official topic with the rules as we've decided them and who builds what.

I'm building my 48x96 lot of heavy industry either way, but it would be nice if it also had a purpose ;)

I don't think anyone needs permission to add to this. We can just build stuff and post it here, adding to the Town we create. WhiteFang and I, and the rest of the staff are working on refining the guidelines for this idea. Hold tight and we will probably start a new topic with a new name and guidelines and everything.

Hold tight and we will probably start a new topic with a new name and guidelines and everything.

And everything? That's an awful lot of things, is everything. I'm expecting a very long topic.

In all seriousness I think that once some guidelines are set, and hopefully a visual representation of the zoning system will be in place, then it'll be a lot easier to get started on this. Don't forget very strict Juckfozzer rules please. Thanking you kindly

Laurie

And everything? That's an awful lot of things, is everything. I'm expecting a very long topic.

I thought about that when I posted it. I felt somewhat like a 12 year-old and everything. When do I end sentences like that? :wacko:

So, you're very funny and you crack me up. Is Laurie a girl's name or a guy's name? You are Laurie, but a SeaKing and a tie wearing monkey who drives a limousine wearing a naval cap. I only ask because if you are a lady, we have a Ladies group that some of our AFFOLs like to join.

OK, a lil update from us here... Even tho we're not finished with the Bulgarian Renaissance Village project, we've already started planning ahead for the florist using LDD + quite a few sketches. And the result is: 16x16 is too tiny for what we're planning to do. We've tried hard as hell to fit in all the details we wanted to on such a small scale, but it's simply impossible. So we're changing that florist entry of ours to a 16x32 Commercial + Residential structure (2 floors).

For now, the motostore shall remain as a 16x32 structure ;] We'll see what comes out of it once we're done planning...

Freakin' cool Otter family! Can't wait to see what you come up with. :sweet:

And after a little bit of planning (I usually don't plan much, I put 2 lines on paper and then I'm like "nah I can do this better with bricks" and I just go build),

I've started building the industrial thing (haven't got a name for it yet), spent a few hours on it just now and I'm really enjoying this build already :D

Since Brickaholic is obviously "taking a break", I thought I'd post an updated list of the buildings which have already been announced for this community build. Hinckley mate, could you please edit Brickaholic's first post so that it includes these - or just put them up in a new thread and lock it up for the time being, along with the rules from Brickaholic's first post.

Civic Buildings

Courthouse- 16x 32 - Bob The Construction Man - Zone 8 - WIP

(?) Jail - 32x32 - Brickaholic - 16x32 - Zone 9

Train Station - 32x32 - AgentRick57 - Zone 1

Public Sector Building (Unnamed) - 48x96 - Basiliscus - 48x96 - Zone ?

Firehouse - ??x?? - SeaKing61 - Zone ?

Media Building - ??x?? - Caseyref - Zone ?

Commercial Buildings

Florist Shop - Asya & Bobby Otters - 16x32 - Zone 3

Motorcycle Accessories Store & Bikers Bar - 16x32 (?) - Asya & Bobby Otters - Zone 3

Store (?) - ??x?? - SeaKing61 - Zone ?

Industrial Buildings

Big Polluting Industrial Area - 48x96 - Aliencat - Zone ?

(?) Brewery - 32x32 - Hinckley - Zone ?

(?) Auto Mechanic - 32x32 - Hinckley - Zone ?

Sausage Factory - ??x?? - Ricecracker - Zone ?

Residential Buildings

Abandoned Block - ??x?? - Skinny Boy - Zone ?

The community build seems to be shaping up nicely despite the question marks - I'm sure those will be dealt with in time. Obviously, I've also used a slightly modified categorization here, which included the new category of "Civic Buildings" - previously divided into "Railways" and "Government" - for Zones 1, 8, 9 and 10. "Industrial Buildings" sounds just about right as a new category to fit Aliencat's upcoming dirty & polluting MOC. Who knows, perhaps we may get more entries for this one once people get inspired by our feline visitor from space...

P.S.: Proposed new additions added.

Hinckley, in England Laurie is more often a guy's name, whereas in America it seems to be a girl's name. I am, as it happens, a guy. At least I was when I last checked. Incidentally there's a place near Leicester (where I live) called Hinckley.

To keep on topic, after being led off topic by badly behaved admin, I love Juckfozzers. Also, I'm just finishing off a shop with a 2 storey apartment above it and have an old fashioned firehouse with a modern extension planned. I'd love to make these compatible with the community build. I just need to think of something for the shop to sell.

Mr. Laurie

PS I drive a lovely open top bus, not a limousine.

Hinckley, in England Laurie is more often a guy's name, whereas in America it seems to be a girl's name. I am, as it happens, a guy. At least I was when I last checked. Incidentally there's a place near Leicester (where I live) called Hinckley.

To keep on topic, after being led off topic by badly behaved admin, I love Juckfozzers. Also, I'm just finishing off a shop with a 2 storey apartment above it and have an old fashioned firehouse with a modern extension planned. I'd love to make these compatible with the community build. I just need to think of something for the shop to sell.

Mr. Laurie

PS I drive a lovely open top bus, not a limousine.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I knew it was a stupid American thing to ask. *huh* But, I wanted to be sure. I even thought, due to the different spelling, that it was in fact a guy's name.

A town called Hinckley? There's also a would-be-presidential-assassin named Hinckley. which my screename is based on. I played him in a musical in college. Yes, a musical about assassins called Assassins. It was my first big role and I used it as my first e-mail address and now I use it for everything.

Can't wait to see everyone's creations! I'll be "taking a break" also for a week. When I return I hope to start adding more creations to this as well. Since I'll be going to a convention this Summer, I need to rebuild my town anyway so that the streets separate easily from the buildings. Right now I just add on and it's basically one enormous baseplate with no easy to part seems.

As far as our fearless leader goes, I don't wish to discuss why he's "taking a break." He may rejoin us, he may not. That is a private matter. However, WhiteFang and I did realize that we were doing a lot of work to reform his original ideas and we will be taking over. It's something we had discussed introducing to our forum but in more of a Classic Town version. Only smiley heads, only four-wide cars :sick: , open-backed buildings, etc. So, I will say that I think Brickaholic was a little too young to head the whole thing up (or a little too fond of the brickahol :look: ) and WhiteFang, Shadows, Brickster and I are discussing a good standard to start the whole thing over with.

I am particularly interested in adding some good zoning guidelines for industrial creations after creating a brewery and auto mechanic on tall baseplates and really wanting to build some more industrial MOCs!

I am particularly interested in adding some good zoning guidelines for industrial creations after creating a brewery and auto mechanic on tall baseplates and really wanting to build some more industrial MOCs!

Just as an update, I am about 2/3 done my sausage factory.

Is it possible that I could build a Media Building that includes a radio station/tv station and a tv studio?

I will come up with some designs and post them here as a consulatation :classic: