Bob

MOC: Courthouse

Is my courthouse good:

cimg1358.jpg

cimg1359.jpg

cimg1360.jpg

It's the judge!

I'd rather not post pictures of the back, as there isn't much to look at, and theres also no interior. Sidewalk has been taken over by stairs.

Again, I could always remake it. Shark Island is always looking for ways to spend tax dollars...

Is my courthouse good:

It would help if we left this thread for discussion and put MOCs in their own topics.

As far as the courthouse goes, instead of offering any specific criticism, I have a few questions:

1. Did you base this off of a real courthouse?

2. If so, could we see a picture?

3. Does it look like a courthouse to you?

4. Could you explain the function of everything we're seeing?

Before answering those questions, Bob, post the MOC in it's own topic, please. I will move these posts over to that topic once you've done so. Thanks. :classic:

Anyway, I didn't exactally base this off of anything. I will be rebuilding this, but for now, this is how it stands.

Hi. Good creation. I am wondering whether you could use the arches that are on the bottom row near the top row instead and have columns underneath. Often such styling makes buildings look more public / governmental which would suit in this case.

Just wondering, you mention the building hasn't much of a back to it. If I were you I would do away with that back altogether as I am assuming you are somewhat short of bricks. I would first make the 2 parts of the building either side of the door look the same (symmetry).

You should be possible to do this as you have a fair number of similar pieces visible in these pics. The columns I would use from ground level and the 2 big arches (grey) I would use connecting to each other to form the main doorway..

Edited by Calvin

I touched it up a little, made it better, and I even added a second floor!

cimg1370.jpg

cimg1371.jpg

cimg1372.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures, I am in a hurry posting these up here, as I have a very important meeting to attend.

No longer am I ashamed to show the back, and there was a back on the first one...just not a very good one.

Edited by Bob the Construction Man

Hi Bob.

I think you did some great improvements. Good job :thumbup:

The only small things I would modify are

(1) maybe make the front a little less flat looking, perhaps by adding some 1x2 columns or planting some trees or something else?

(2) the steps may look more prominent if only around the doorway and not the entire length of the front. Also if they are built a little out for before the steps start as in this example:

doorway1.png

You're off to a good start with the courthouse, but there's a way to go yet. Right now it's a bit plain. I think it would benefit from being smaller and more detailed. Limiting the courthouse to the width of the current windows would enable you to concentrate on more detailing.

Stone facade courthouses (which I am assuming this is) usually have more ornate detailing. A small arch or detailing under the awning would be a good start. Along the corners, a set of colums, or simply some a 1x2 line sticking out to represent a colums would be a good addition. If you choose to keep it as wide as it is you definately need more widows and detailing on the front.

The rear could use some windows and a service entrance, and perhaps some vents. The roof could use some detailing. The balustrade at the front edge of the roof would benefit from a shorter, but more detailed (maybe a parapet style) edge. The current front looks more like a bilboard frame.

Sorry if this comes across as alot of criticism, but I'm sure you can work this into a good MOC. If you need detailing ideas, here's a great MOC of a courthouse that though built to a standard unattainable to most of us, can nevertheless provide plenty of inspiration. My MOCs never turn out as good as the sources I use for inspiration, but starting from good source material is one of the best ways to work toward building great MOCs.

All the best.

Edited by Eilif

I actually like the stairs going around the entire front, but I do agree, the front is a little plain. I don't want to add collumn's and I am going to add some decorations around the frontal areas, but other than that...

Great adjustments! Really, way to take everyone's criticism well and go with it. I would like to see some more texture and use those columns in the facade instead of the roof. Courthouses usually look a little more colonial, so maybe the columns could support a gabled roof above the entrance. The whole structure should have a gabled roof, IMO. Basically, follow Eilif's advice. He's given some great places to start and some really good projects for you to tackle to challenge your building skills...and the limits of your current collection. :wink:

I actually like the stairs going around the entire front, but I do agree, the front is a little plain. I don't want to add collumn's and I am going to add some decorations around the frontal areas, but other than that...

If you like the full width stairs, then there's no reason you have to loose them. You could refine them by adding a one or two stud wide landing at the top, and a decorative railing up each side. Think about the way that museums and cathedrals have grand stairways and you will have some idea.

Columns are a classic feature of many courthouses, but if you don't want them then that's ok too. Ether way, you need some detail. Consider heightening each floor by 2 bricks so that the picture windows don't come so close to each other and to the roof.

Lastly, when it comes to a building's front facade, it's a good rule of thumb that there should never be more than a 3x3 or 4x4 stud space without something on it. That something could be a decorative element, a linear pattern, or just another color, but it has to be something.

There are exceptions of course. Larger sized MOCs, sidewalls, etc, but when working in minifig scale, empty space on a front facing facade leves the MOD looking incomplete.

Here's a good blog that will give you a multitude of ways to detail the fronts, edges, and roofs of buildings. http://bricktowntalk.blogspot.com/

This index thread at the top of this forum has some great building pictures as well.

Kudo's to you for your willingness to seek design assistance, I look forward to seeing what your next version looks like.

Edited by Eilif

Update, What do you think?

cimg1430.jpg

cimg1431.jpg

An Axe through crime...

cimg1432.jpg

Looks like the Judge moved inside.

cimg1433.jpg

Comments or Suggestions? I'm still working on this, so don't think i'm done.

Very interesting use of parts, but somehow it starts to look a little spacey... Would almost fit into a Sci-Fi Theme now.

Very interesting use of parts, but somehow it starts to look a little spacey... Would almost fit into a Sci-Fi Theme now.

I think it's because it's all light grey. Some dark grey/beige/other detailing would break it up. Maybe pillars or doors/window/roof in contrasting colour would help?

Cheers

Rog

I think it's because it's all light grey. Some dark grey/beige/other detailing would break it up. Maybe pillars or doors/window/roof in contrasting colour would help?

Cheers

Rog

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking, and maybe a railing for the stairs, and some tan pieces. IMO, the first version with the third version's roof decorations with pillars and without black would look good

Edited by prateek

Nice job sprucing up the area under the awning, and very interesting work on the roof. It does have a sci-fi look to it, but I like it. For some reason it also reminds me a bit of the compound curves and gargoyle-ish corners of the Harold Washington Library in Chicago. (See here and here) However the enhanced roof does make the front walls look even more plain. It really needs some greebling there.

It's definitely starting to come together. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Eilif