Sign in to follow this  
SeaKing61

Classic space minifig with sticker?

I recently received a box a lego bricks that used to belong to one of my mother's friends. It's mainly technic but there's also a classic space minifig. What's got me curious is that it appears to be a plain white torso with a sticker applied with the classic space logo on it. I was wondering if anyone knew if this sticker came with the torso as part of a set or if it's from an ideas book or perhaps home made. Thanks very much. I'll try to upload a picture sometime soon.

Cheers,

Laurie

sp063.jpg

Is this the fella?

If so, then he's from 1978.

I am not sure which set he's from.

But he sure is genuine.

That's the chap, thanks for your help. I've only got the torso and head unfortunately. He seems to have discarded the helmet and air pack and swapped his white trousers for some black ones at some point in the last 30 years!

Thanks for the help KimT,

Laurie

Edited by SeaKing61

sp063.jpg

Is this the fella?

But he sure is genuine.

Maybe it's from one of the idea books. I know a few of them included sticker packs and at least one had minifig torso stickers. I don't think any of the actual space sets came with torso stickers instead of prints.

Maybe it's from one of the idea books. I know a few of them included sticker packs and at least one had minifig torso stickers. I don't think any of the actual space sets came with torso stickers instead of prints.

nono, Kim's right. the early space sets used to have stickered torsos. yes, idea books had stickers too, but not the classic space ones...

nono, Kim's right. the early space sets used to have stickered torsos. yes, idea books had stickers too, but not the classic space ones...

That's interesting. I guess they must have switched to printed torsos after only a year or so, as all the (original lineup) classic space sets I've seen on ebay seemed to have them printed.

That's interesting. I guess they must have switched to printed torsos after only a year or so, as all the (original lineup) classic space sets I've seen on ebay seemed to have them printed.

Looking at bricklink it seems they were only used in 1978. They don't seem too uncommon though, there are a few for sale on bricklink.

Laurie

Correct... and only the white and red ones have stickers in those days...

Yellow,blue and black is printed on the chest (white & red also in a later stage).

Is this the fella?

But he sure is genuine.

Wow. Interesting bit of trivia there. I never would have known that a stickered version of this figure existed. Were I to have received one or purchased one by mistake on Bricklink I would immediately assume I had been ripped off and sold a custom job. Very interesting that they sold these.

I´m puzzled.

I know for a fact that I never ever had an idea book (although I always wanted one), but I had a blue space minifig with sticker. The most interesting part is that this sticker didn´t cover the whole torso as that white guy over there. It was a) just big enough for the space logo and b) had a clear background, not a blue one.

Does anyone know anything about that fella?

The blue guy came out some years after the original classic space lineup, which only had white and red. It's strange that they still had the stickers at that point.

The oldest space set I have is a 6927 ATV from 1981, which has white and red guys but they're both printed.