Tim Bit

Canadian Eh?

Another great day at the Grand opening!

It was fantastic to see some old friends again! And the FINISHED Yoda, and the heartbreakingly fun task of 'shredding' it... :cry_sad:

I'll post pictures tonight after work.

...I thought it was Sly-Mocks. ;)

I am pretty Sly... and I do make do try to mock myself :hmpf_bad:

I was at Fairview again this morning for the t-shirt and I overheard the district manager mention that they may be opening another Lego Store in Vancouver for Spring 2012!

Fantastic news!

The previous rumour of a 3rd Toronto store would be a bit excessive at this point. Spread the love! :thumbup:

We endured the 2 hour wait to get into the store and we were lucky to get a minifig set (#490 of 500).

I thought there were only supposed to be 300 of the special minifig sets. Im happy that there were

more than 300. :thumbup:

They probably gave away 400-450.

the remainder were given to store staff, volunteers, LEGO Canada and probably HQ etc.

The store managers got 1&2 ;)

I went as well, bought more than I was supposed to, but got the minifigs so all is well. Now... really, what's with the dude on the BL selling, what, 5 of these, at 175 bucks each? Might they sell anywhere near that? Yowzers. [And how did he get 5 of them?]

URgh.

Urge to kill rising.

Though I did talk to a few people and they said they brought in extra members of family just to get more... :sick:

Long green jacket doesn't ring a bell. I might be able to sqeeze in that T-shirt. :laugh:

*cough*

I can.

(is there a 'I'm a Twig' emotion?)

URgh.

Urge to kill rising.

Though I did talk to a few people and they said they brought in extra members of family just to get more... :sick:

Maybe that was the dude I saw buy stuff and then grab stuff and get back in the buy line before more people out in line got a chance to come in... Woulda been a good policy to try and prevent that, but I dunno how you'd police a thing like that. But maybe I'm not allowed to say anything, because the lady friend was with me, and she got the advent calender, and as such I now have two of the aforementioned minifig sets. I guess I'm part of the problem. But hey, if I sell the set, the proceeds go into the wedding fund, 'cause technically I'd be selling her set. I'm not selling mine, yo.

In any case, it's a lovely store. Feels a bit bigger than the Sherway store, and the build-a-fig bar had guys from series 2 in there. Pretty sure I saw Vampire parts. So no hope in Zombies being released this way, I guess, but an army of vampires might be possible. I'm looking forward to going back when it's a little less crazy so I can get a better look at the built stuff in those bubbles. I love that stuff.

Edited by IAmWillGibson

Maybe that was the dude I saw buy stuff and then grab stuff and get back in the buy line before more people out in line got a chance to come in...

Wow... that REALLY makes me... :angry:

It's one thing to bring superfluous people - at least that's waiting in line and such - but that's plain cheating and wrong IMHO.

--

Anyways there were a few other things you could get on the weekend - they're 'exclusive' just not 'exclusive to Fairview opening'

A generic Yoda Duplo brick:

6278738992_69ff9a9770_z.jpg

and a participation certificates - yay me!

6267686263_d5995b2fe5_z.jpg

--

And how can we not post the finished build:

6278221975_011900a779_z.jpg

and there are a few more pictures up on my Flickr stream

URgh.

Urge to kill rising.

Kill away :laugh: .

Seriously, I get the scalpers but it really is a shady thing to do. I suspect that a guy like this simply purchased the $35 minimum, passed it to a friend and then proceeded to make four other purchases. There's no way that they could police something like this with so many people in the store. I wonder if he's even a fan or if he simply knows how desperate some collectors can be.

Does anyone have an extra minifig set from the Sherway Gardens grand opening they would like to trade for one from the Fairview Grand opening?

Send me a PM if you do.

A generic Yoda Duplo brick:

6278738992_69ff9a9770_z.jpg

Aww nertz, I just got the "get this brick!" postcard in the mail today! I could have added to my Star Wars Duplo collection.

A few minutes ago I saw the top row filled in and then bam it was done!

You caught me mid-process of creating the inventory. I noticed you're new to the site. Welcome. You might want to do some searching (google) for references to packing the cups. If you are going for 2x4's, they may be cheaper through BL...unless you go for the more expensive colours (e.g. Dark Red)...but in this shape, you can get ~165+ 2x4s in a single cup if stacked correctly.

Enjoy!

You caught me mid-process of creating the inventory. I noticed you're new to the site. Welcome. You might want to do some searching (google) for references to packing the cups. If you are going for 2x4's, they may be cheaper through BL...unless you go for the more expensive colours (e.g. Dark Red)...but in this shape, you can get ~165+ 2x4s in a single cup if stacked correctly.

Enjoy!

Hmmm. There are no cheese slopes or 1x1 plates to fill all the gaps with, just the round orange one. Bummer.

I'll have to make up for it by buying 4 Tripod Invaders with the Zellers BOGO sale...

Aww nertz, I just got the "get this brick!" postcard in the mail today! I could have added to my Star Wars Duplo collection.

They didn't give me one when I was there on Saturday either - so I called and went back. Showed them my receipt and they gave me one.

Maybe call to see if they have any extra and tell them you were there on Saturday.

And I am Still waiting for my postcard :sceptic:

Edited by legomaniac83

I checked out the new Fairview store today. It was my first visit to a Lego store. It was nice to finally see of the larger sets built on display. I was going to buy the Emerald Night, but they ran out of the bonus holiday sets. Since it's free shipping from the online lego site, I'll just buy it from there to get my holiday bonus.

Edited by eliminator

I checked out the new Fairview store today. It was my first visit to a Lego store. It was nice to finally see of the larger sets built on display. I was going to buy the Emerald Night, but they ran out of the bonus holiday sets. Since it's free shipping from the online lego site, I'll just buy it from there to get my holiday bonus.

Picked up the Emerald Night from the Sherway Gardens Store today. Got the free holiday set and the double vip points.

Picked up the Emerald Night from the Sherway Gardens Store today. Got the free holiday set and the double vip points.

Hehe you went back again?

Dangerous habit my friend, dangerous ;)

So I'm sort of in an awkward situation here now, in that I think I'd like to sell my Minifigure set from the Fairview opening, but I don't wanna be a scalper 'cause I hate those dudes. But on the other hand, it's sorta the first and only thing of "value" I've ever had that I'm willing to sell. So what's a good price to set? High enough that I'm not robbing myself, but not so high that I'm robbing anyone else? And not so high that it'd not actually sell, either. Looking at it right now, I think I'd like to get, say, the VW van for it? Or is that extravagant and piratey?

I have no head for business.

I have no head for business.

Work out the time you spent in the lineup to get the set...multiply that by your hourly rate...or pick the rate of an appliance repair dude coming to your house...add in the grief you have to endure for your spouse/partner/dog feeling scorned and guilting you into slavery for an extended period of time because you abandoned them to go buy pieces of plastic, and you won't feel bad for asking market rate. ;)

It's worth what people are willing to pay for it.

Does anyone have an extra minifig set from the Sherway Gardens grand opening they would like to trade for one from the Fairview Grand opening?

Send me a PM if you do.

Likewise, I have two from Fairview and none from Sherway. :hmpf_bad:

Go to the store and ask about the brick. They had a lot left from the G.O. and folks have come in with the postcard and still received their brick.

Don't delay though...don't know how many they have left.

I posted some pics of my haul from the Fairview Mall pick-a-brick wall over here. Linky.

Not too bad, I managed 104 2x4 tan plates and 62 2x4 dark red bricks +200 other bits in one cup.

I posted some pics of my haul from the Fairview Mall pick-a-brick wall over here. Linky.

Not too bad, I managed 104 2x4 tan plates and 62 2x4 dark red bricks +200 other bits in one cup.

Nice Haul!

some good pieces in there too!

Man now I wanna go for some pab stack'n.

Even though I haven't unpacked my last cup :sceptic:

I mentioned this here, and figured I'd post in here too:

I called the Lego store at Sherway Gardens and asked them about Christmas set #2 (3300002). It starts on the 25th (Black Friday in the US, Brick Friday in Canada).

Same conditions as the first set - Spend $99 or more and receive set #2. One per customer per purchase while supplies last.

I'll be there bright and early on the 25th :laugh:

Remember that your BL average prices don't include the $10 in shipping...but you paid a few bucks in taxes, so you're still ahead.

I'm thinking of going to fill up a cup of tan 1 x 4's, and orange plates for a carrot farm. :)

Man now I wanna go for some pab stack'n.

Because of you and your MOCs...I haven't taken a breather on my BL orders and have a couple hundred gray slopes in various forms coming my way amongst other things for an attempt at your amazing rock wall sculpting...grrrrr...now my children will go hungry. :blush:

Edited by Toadtorrent

Anyone else get their "holiday" catalog late? My wife (as the one who buys from the catalog) got hers Oct 31st.

Yep, the last day of the free shipping promotion she gets the catalog. Nice. *huh*

Any Canadians out there order from the amazon.fr site? I'm looking at the 7939 Cargo Train since it's a good price, but I'm curious as to what kind of customs/duties that I will be charged.

Récapitulatif de commande

Articles : EUR 91,51

Livraison : EUR 10,59

Montant total : EUR 102,10

I think they ship via DHL?

DHL Customs Brokerage Service For Canada

DHL Canada has implemented a disbursement charge for all air shipments requiring customs brokerage service. The fee applies when funds for duties and taxes are not provided in advance for DHL. The disbursement fee will be 2.5% of the value of the labels provided (excluding the shipping charge), or a minimum charge of $7.00 CAD. The disbursement fee covers part of DHL's administrative and financing costs relating to the amounts they pay customs on your behalf. This fee does not include the applicable GST or province tax.

Edited by eliminator