Murdoch17

42638 inspired 1890's Victorian townhouse MOC - real world WIP

Posted (edited)

This model was built from a single picture of 2024 Friends set 42638 - Castle Bed and Breakfast. I made the model in my own style, while attempting to keep the proportions of the set. I gave it a fold open back, and had to redesign the turret-area as I had no clue how they assembled it in the set. The official roof was likewise unfamiliar territory, so I improvised a new one using bricks and slopes. (which was total pain!) Also, instead of making it modular style with removable floors, I made it swing open like a dollhouse and lock shut on a technic pin. The model only opens up to 90 degrees, which makes picture taking difficult. 

53698859432_ebd5c5fc78_z.jpg

The model is missing four reddish brown window pieces (with glass) in style 73878 from the bay window because they aren't in LDD. This will be rectified when built in real life.

53699752006_635ee41aba_z.jpg

The rear isn't too exciting. I struggled to get the stairs on the inside, which left little room for windows. I did manage a back door, and added a chimney by the turret up front.

53700092329_737e1318ae_z.jpg

Inside the front half, which I need to figure out more furniture for. The empty attic will have lots of boxes in it... and maybe a ghost. (Unsure at this point about that!)

53699969373_45ba085164_z.jpg

Inside the rear half. All of the furniture designs in this MOC will be stolen from a previous house model I made.

53698863452_26f309912c_z.jpg

Here is a cropped and upsized version of an official Lego picture of set 42638, for comparing to my version of this house.

EDIT 5/9/24:

53710022299_a7fb674097_z.jpg

Of the 1,065 parts on this building, I've found 333 pieces, leaving 732 parts still to go. These totals do not include furniture or the modular base - these items have finished the parts-finding phase and have been ordered from Bricklink as of the 7th.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Leave them below!

Edited by Murdoch17

53705222141_d033af86a2_z.jpg

I just designed this detachable modular base for my Victorian townhouse MOD. It uses an enlarged / taller version of 2002 set 10069 - Christmas Tree for decoration, as the original tree from the polybag looked puny next to the house. Also of note, I ordered the house's furniture and the modular base's remaining parts. The house itself will also be ordered in the next few weeks.

First post updated as of now!

53710022299_a7fb674097_z.jpg

Of the 1,065 parts on this building, I've found 333 pieces, leaving 732 parts still to go. These totals do not include furniture or the modular base - these items have finished the parts-finding phase and have been ordered from Bricklink as of the 7th.

I'm excited to see it come to life, I think this is a great idea, and it'll be interesting to see as your progress continues, please DO put a ghost in the attic, it'd look perfect with the house, which kind of reminds me of the Addams family house but more grounded and less over-the-top so a ghost would be a nice nod to that in a way. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the furniture, it's going to look great! I was also pretty inspired by the friends bed & breakfast set and this is looking to be an even cooler version of that since you won't be limited by part count and all that.