mdbz

<MOC> MÁV Class 424 Large Scale Model V2

I'd like to share my latest build here. I have a plan to make some of the iconic locomotives from Hungary in large scale and this is the first of them, started from the begining the stream era.

800x450.jpg   

The 424 series was engineered and manufactured in Hungary. 514 units had been made between 1924 and 1958. As a multi purpose engine it was used for passenger trains and hauling and later for commuter trains. Was allowed to fly with 90 km/h what was a good number at that times but the unofficial speed record is above 120 km/h. There were several modifications as the years passed and was used till the early 80s. Two working engines remained and serve as nostalgia train sometimes.

800x450.png

The scale 1:33 was determined by the big wheels (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=90840#T=C&amp;C=11). And it led to 1 stud wider gauge than the standart tracks (it's almost the G gauge).  Not modelled a particular one, more like my favourite mixed version from the early era. It's a 'motorized display set' so you can observe the rods' movement if lifted with some bricks under the frame. A huge thanks to @zephyr1934 here for the custom rods and valve gear bars.

640x360.png

All the big wheels are driven by 2 power function L motors. The battery box and the IR receiver is in the tender. Theoretically it can run on G gauge straight tracks, but I haven't had any to try sadly.

800x450.png

I've used about 3200 parts and the model's dimensions are 73*11.2*15.6 (cm, L*W*H). 

800x450.png

Some more pic (The rendered pictures are without the pneumatic tubes as I couldn't find them in stud.io.)

800x450.png

800x450.png

640x360.png640x360.png

800x450.png

Some not rendered

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

640x427.jpg800x533.jpg

640x427.jpg

And some from the original:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x544.jpg

(the last one is with the permission of the author of the pic)

And the very last: sample from the stud.io plans:

800x455.jpg

Hope You like it.

There are a V1 version I have submitted on ideas, but not yet approved. This version is without the smoke deflectors as on ideas max 3000 pieces are allowed, and of course without the custom rods as only official lego parts can be used. So the V1:

800x250.jpg

800x450.png

And if there is someone who wants more I have made a secret V3 version as well :)

640x360.png

Have a nice day!

Oh wow, that's an impressive build. Great job capturing all of the details of the prototype and an interesting history of this workhorse.

Very nice, and a perfect choice of scale! :thumbup:

Just one thing: The boiler diameter seems a bit small compared to the prototype. Perhaps it might be possible to increase it a little?

Oh, that is really a nice one ... you know, there were (and are) many steam engines (to be) built in bricks. 

What really catches me on your choice is the clear "loftiness" between boiler/smoke box and running gear/cylinders. The LEGO approach (used e.g. for the Emerald Night) and many, many other designs, seem to imply a bold and solid (brick built) connection between the steam engine and the "wheels". That is absolutely fine with me. But the moment you see the thermodynamic machine (smoke box, boiler, cylinders) propelling the engine via rods/mechanical force transformation assemblies) clearly separated - that is what I find very exciting.

And that is what you accomplished here.

Thanks for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten

On 3/17/2024 at 10:39 PM, Sven J said:

Very nice, and a perfect choice of scale! :thumbup:

Just one thing: The boiler diameter seems a bit small compared to the prototype. Perhaps it might be possible to increase it a little?

I feel the same about the boiler, but I had calculated the diameter based on the real one's and the scale, and the built is quite accurate. Maybe it's some optical illusion (the very long things looks thinner sometimes, and this boiler is long ;)) and regard the photos the perspective makes the 'nose' bigger. Or the later versions of the loco was built with bigger diameter boiler but it's hard to find technical infos or blueprints so I don't know :) One of the earliest version overlayed with the actual built:

800x325.jpg  

Don't forget to make her happy with supporting the little -almost twin- sister on ideas :D 

800x450.png

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0719c385-2cb4-47f0-bb7f-1b902ba52c8d

@mdbz Oh yes, you're right and I was wrong.
I think I was misled by perspective as well as by the fact that German steam locomotives (which I'm more familiar with) don't usually have such a vast empty space between frame and boiler, so that unfamiliar sight just seemed somehow wrong to me.

But I googled a bit and yes, the MÁV HAS that giant gap, so I apologize for what I wrote in my first post. Your model absolutely does justice to the prototype.

62042_156095231082275_4389284_n.jpg?_nc_