Sign in to follow this  
Appie

Optimus Prime G1 Transformer (version 1.0)

I made this last year and didn't get around to make a topic about it until now.

20240112_100342

20240112_100357

20240112_100546

A video of it transforming:

The model weighs 1.6kg and most of that is on the front axle. I haven't been able yet to make a mechanism that will allow Optimus to lift himself without a "hand of god" :wink:

Some more photo's

20240112_100619

The rope you see between the front wheels in the photo above is what makes the flaps with the headlights at the front besides the grill fold back when Optimus is standing, but flex (thanks to  rubberbands) when the hands need to be folded back into the body when he's transforming into a truck.

20240112_100716

The little grey wheels you see at the rear wheels make the black rear wheels barely touch the ground, this helps the leg spread mechanism.

Speaking of which, the clicking in the video comes from these 2 mini-LA's in the legs:

20240112_100524

They make Optimus spread his legs a little when he's standing. I thought that looks better than him simply having his legs straight when standing, but the gearratio is off. If I manage to make a mechanism for the legs that works in lifting the model on its own then I might be able to tackle this gearratio too.

20240112_100322

In case somebody wonders where I put the battery box, it's external :classic:

Thanks for taking the time to read my topic, hope you enjoyed it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Very impressive transformation! After TC21, I know how hard it is to synchronize that many moving parts

5 minutes ago, Frequenzberater said:

Thats pretty cool! Maybe you should try for an optimized redesign, which does not need any manual support 

That would be absolutely amazing, but it also sounds extremely difficult to do, given the weight of the model and the awful mechanical advantage you'd have doing the first part of the lift. It seems to me that even if you had enough torque, some parts would be too strained to hold under those circumstances. In fact, it sounds so hard to me that I'm tempted to call it impossible, but then not much is truly impossible with Lego, so it might be able to happen!

Saw it at LW last year where you gave a little demonstration. Not easy to make it fully automated but with a little help it always works. Also build the trailer I would say!

23 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

That would be absolutely amazing, but it also sounds extremely difficult to do, given the weight of the model and the awful mechanical advantage you'd have doing the first part of the lift. It seems to me that even if you had enough torque, some parts would be too strained to hold under those circumstances. In fact, it sounds so hard to me that I'm tempted to call it impossible, but then not much is truly impossible with Lego, so it might be able to happen!

Exactly this. The XL's could handle it fine, the wormgear could handle it fine, the 36T gear however, it bends, not just to the sides, but also (due to how that 36T is constructed) inwards. I have tried 2 gears, it still skips under the weight. Swapped to 40T gears, still skips. 28T look alot more solid, but due to them needing half a stud offset with the new wormgear, not ideal. Not to mention that 40T and 28T both mess with the desired gearratio.

The current plan that might work is 2-3 (normal or large) LA's in each leg instead of a wormgear. Or perhaps some sort of pulley system. I don't think I can optimize the cabin transformation anymore besides making it slower at the motor (so the weight stays longer in the center of the model). Nor do I see much options for Optimus to lose some weight :laugh: Actually, when he was a skeleton, he got up with L-motors instead of XL's in the legs, but the guy needs some bodywork and I tried to keep it light.

@Dennis Bosman

Oh yeah, the trailer. I was considering that (also to cheat with a sort of rope system hidden in the trailer :wink:)

Edited by Appie

Very nice! I once made a manual-activated transformer, but I can hardly imagine, how this is possible with a motor activated transforming mechanism... And yes, spreading the legs was also challenging in this build.