NoEXIST

RC Deck - Performance Power Supply With Radio Control

Sooo... I got pretty scary pic of everything connected! Next step should be packaging everything inside but, I did find out that Dumbo's receivers will not allow you to use a classic motors for channel 3. Google says it can be used as a light channel by using sort of switch or something. Or as I did find out myself it can be used with geekservos (45° to the one side when button is off and 45° to the other side when the button is on and no 0°), but I don't know about their motors. Let me know what do you think about this? It seems that easiest way out is simply making channel 3 used for rc lights and servos...

1280x1707.jpg

But good news is that everything excluding channel 3 works fine!

@NoEXIST That channel 3 is more a limitation of the transmitter(the pistol) as that only got the 3 way switch on channel3  It wouldn't make sense to make a receiver that handles channels differently in terms of pwm signal output. I got the 6channel transmitter and receiver from DumboRC and the 5th channel is just a 0-100 turn knob, yet it can drive an esc. Anyway great progress so far.

14 minutes ago, Ryokeen said:

That channel 3 is more a limitation of the transmitter(the pistol) as that only got the 3 way switch on channel3  It wouldn't make sense to make a receiver that handles channels differently in terms of pwm signal output

Same for me, I got X6 transmitter and receiver. X4FM was bought just for the deck.

It seems that every dumborc transmitter has similar usage of channel 3 (on/off button). So for me solution is quite simple, 2 ports for geekservo.

14 minutes ago, Ryokeen said:

Anyway great progress so far.

Thank you;)

@NoEXIST ohh confused 3rd and 4th channel but yea they simply just send a different/fixed signal to the receiver. 3rd channel is mostly for stuff like lights or difflocks. 4th channel is often used for stuff like a gearbox or a winch.

29 minutes ago, NoEXIST said:

So for me solution is quite simple, 2 ports for geekservo.

So one servo for fixed 2 position stuff channel 3 and for 3 position stuff channel 4. Channel 2 for throttle, channel 1 for steering ?

54 minutes ago, Ryokeen said:

@NoEXIST ohh confused 3rd and 4th channel but yea they simply just send a different/fixed signal to the receiver. 3rd channel is mostly for stuff like lights or difflocks. 4th channel is often used for stuff like a gearbox or a winch.

So one servo for fixed 2 position stuff channel 3 and for 3 position stuff channel 4. Channel 2 for throttle, channel 1 for steering ?

1ch for steering, 2ch for throttle, 3ch with 2 positions(2 speed gearbox maybe?) And 4ch for a PU motor with 3 switch position (forward/stop/backward)

Actually sounds similar to RC cars(well, quite expectable using RC components:grin:)

2 hours ago, NoEXIST said:

Or as I did find out myself it can be used with geekservos (45° to the one side when button is off and 45° to the other side when the button is on and no 0°)

Can't the angle be tuned on the transmitter to make +90° and -90° turns on the two positions? On my FlySky TX/RX, that's what happens on the two position switch with a GeekServo hooked up.

I'd simply do an output for throttle on ch2 through an ESC, and leave all other channels for GeekServos (no ESC needed, just direct connection from the receiver).

@gyenesvi always depends on the transmitter or (hope not) receiver(and servo). Most proportional channels are in the range of 1000us - 2000us of pulse width, that translates to -90° and +90°. If the transmitter just got a fixed setting and sends signals between 750us and 1250us you still have enough difference for an on/off switch, but a servo will turn less.
Some light switches(like the one i used on my delorean) need exactly that. A sudden change from "negative" signal to "positive" signal as a trigger, so that makes sense as it's also not a switch button on the receiver but a hold button.

FlySky transmitters are a bit more on the expensive and more configurable side of transmitter/receiver combos.

7 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Can't the angle be tuned on the transmitter to make +90° and -90° turns on the two positions?

Unfortunately not, on the transmitter it's just a button without any adjustments... There's a similar flysky receiver, but it's twice as expensive as x4fm with gyro

6 hours ago, Ryokeen said:

FlySky transmitters are a bit more on the expensive and more configurable side of transmitter/receiver combos.

Yeah, that's why I bought the FlySky one..

2 hours ago, NoEXIST said:

Unfortunately not, on the transmitter it's just a button without any adjustments... There's a similar flysky receiver, but it's twice as expensive as x4fm with gyro

However, my other option was a DumboRC with 6ch receiver, where the transmitter did have limits configs for most channels as far as I can remember, and I was guessing that it would work with a 4 channel receiver as well (and was half the price). So I was wondering if it depends on the receiver, people might be able to use it with a bit more sophisticated one to get a different servo range out of it.

23 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

However, my other option was a DumboRC with 6ch receiver, where the transmitter did have limits configs for most channels as far as I can remember

Well if we're talking about the same DumboRC X6 transmitter and receiver it has endpoints and trim for channel 1 and 2, other things are as they are. 

400x400.jpg

Another one is mini version, seems that it has more adjustments

400x400.jpg

And their best one(?), I bet this one might have these adjustments...

400x400.jpg

Good thing that they all are working with same receivers, so it's only on a customer

P.S. Flysky receiver I was talking about:

Not sure why it has 5 ports, Ali says it's 4ch. Price is 35-50€ for receiver only. Again, if someone will want Flysky version there will be no problem to install this one instead of DumboRC as they are similar size, but more expensive 

400x400.jpg

40 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Yeah, that's why I bought the FlySky one..

However, my other option was a DumboRC with 6ch receiver, where the transmitter did have limits configs for most channels as far as I can remember, and I was guessing that it would work with a 4 channel receiver as well (and was half the price). So I was wondering if it depends on the receiver, people might be able to use it with a bit more sophisticated one to get a different servo range out of it.

@gyenesvi is it really possible to define rotation angle on your FlySky TX/RX transmitter in the 3-position switch? I am working on a project where I need to switch gears in the gearbox and I find geek-servo not turning as precisely as I would like.

1 hour ago, NoEXIST said:

Well if we're talking about the same DumboRC X6 transmitter and receiver it has endpoints and trim for channel 1 and 2, other things are as they are. 

Yeah, I was thinking of that one, I guess I mistook the endpoint trims for angle adjustments then.. But yeah, maybe the better ones have that too.

P.S. Flysky receiver I was talking about:

Not sure why it has 5 ports, Ali says it's 4ch. Price is 35-50€ for receiver only.

That sounds pretty expensive, I also saw 4 channel FlySky receiver on Ali, but that one was just a few euros. For example this one shows up for just about 3.5 Euros for me:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005992276197.html

Same thing for 4 Euros:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004900977069.html

Again, if someone will want Flysky version there will be no problem to install this one instead of DumboRC as they are similar size, but more expensive 

That would be great to have as an option.

1 hour ago, Krxlion said:

@gyenesvi is it really possible to define rotation angle on your FlySky TX/RX transmitter in the 3-position switch? I am working on a project where I need to switch gears in the gearbox and I find geek-servo not turning as precisely as I would like.

I'll have check it out later, it has a lot of tuning options..

29 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

That sounds pretty expensive, I also saw 4 channel FlySky receiver on Ali, but that one was just a few euros. For example this one shows up for just about 3.5 Euros for me:

Yeah, I've seen this one, it's quite nice but I'm not sure because of it's height and length (maybe it will be okay if I solder wires directly to the receiver, but it's not really replaceable then)

Another good thing about DumboRC is built in gyro

P.S. for me it's 7 Euro;)

Gyro is a real game changer in faster models. I wouldn't swap that function in example, for defining rotation angle on geek-servo (under a button in transmitter).

Well one can always plug in a separate gyro, but built in is surely nicer.

3 hours ago, NoEXIST said:

Not sure why it has 5 ports, Ali says it's 4ch.

That 5th port on the Flysky is a connection port for a gyro, so 4 channels + gyro interface

1 hour ago, Ryokeen said:

Well one can always plug in a separate gyro, but built in is surely nicer.

That 5th port on the Flysky is a connection port for a gyro, so 4 channels + gyro interface

For Dumbo it seems the same, x4fmg has "5" channels including gyro. The thing I'm not sure is how are you adjusting gyro sensitivity with a X4 transmitter. On X6 it's done by turning top knob (6ch)

I would assume that you simply don't :D Or there is some potentiometer hidden on the receiver.

One of them is built and waiting for the tests! Fun fact, it's already seventh printed body and first one I manage to build Pretty sad statistics:innocent:

1280x1454.jpg

(It's so cute to look on only one box and the same size battery for RC system knowing how much wires it takes)

Few days of testing says Deck works fine for smaller models. I tried some higher gear ratios - I was able to call built in motors protection, with any heat in deck. (Which is great in my opinion, next step is bigger testing chassis!)

Building this one showed me that it's just better to have small PCB board for pinout, so I'm designing one right now!

1280x1707.jpg

P.S. Originally built for buwizz. Hopefully won't hurt anyone with this photo:head_back:

Another testing prototype... 1.5kg car with 4L motors up geared 1:3 to a daytona diff.

30 minutes of play without any differences to a behavior in small buggy. I decided that I need some more powerful motors, so I'm waiting for 4 buggy motors for the next test. Stay tuned!

1280x960.jpg

P.S. Do you like that front rim?

Glad to hear it's working well!

And yes, that front rim does look quite nice!

Nice!

Also, that front rim looks good, is it your design?

Edited by Lixander