Clone OPatra

Batman (DC Superheroes) 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

Posted (edited)

Could be a large scale btas batwing…

glad it’s DC but it’s probably a large bat vehicle which I’m not a fan of those. 
give me minifigures scale dioramas and play sets but unlikely to get that love from Lego dc. 

Edited by BatDeanj

"but unlikely to get that love from Lego dc"

Why are you all saying things like this? That is untrue. NOT true.

14 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

Is it though?

Let’s have a look, a steady decline in the number of sets we get. Most of those being overpriced. There is no creativity with the playsets anymore it’s just Batmobile after Batmobile. Whilst marvel has more heroes getting their own sets, here we are with purely Batman Harley Quinn and Joker sets not a single Robin in 3 years for some figure diversity. Despite 6 DC movie’s releasing in the last two years.

From my viewpoint, DC is Lego’s least favourite franchise child when you compare it with Marvel.

1 minute ago, CloneCommando99 said:

From my viewpoint, DC is Lego’s least favourite franchise child when you compare it with Marvel.

I totally agree. We were lucky that WB was chosen to film the Lego movie, and they weren't afraid to make Batman one of the leading characters, who became popular enough to get his own spinoff. If this didn't happen, we wouldn't have gotten those numerous Lego Batman movie sets.

Movies are way more popular than comic books and animated shows. The MCU's success was beneficial to the Lego Marvel theme. The DCEU's failure ruined the Lego DC theme. Lego seems to be reluctant to produce many-many sets based on beloved classics, hence we're getting only two BTAS sets

46 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

This is ABSOLUTELY true. Lego DC only gets ~2-4 figure-scale playsets a year now. And absolutely zero of the figure-based dioramas themes like Star Wars and Jurassic Park have, or the black-base figure-filled diorama/playsets Marvel has. @BatDeanj's post was completely accurate.

29 minutes ago, CloneCommando99 said:

I think just in general. Though it's not necessarily that it's lego's least favorite, or they don't like it, as much as it is their worst-selling of the evergreen licensed themes. That said, they've put themselves in a cycle of poor sales- low quality/bad set- poor sales. Stuff like the Batcave, that should have been an easy layup, ended up being shelfwarmers because lego was too afraid to be comic-based or invest in more prints/figs.

I think you have a point.

In 2022 we got 4 sets from The Batman (2022). Maybe more sets from that? BUT then if you compare small "themes" like indiana jones. It got 3 or 4. AND for example CITY subthemes. Exploration 2023, Space 2022 ... 4 sets each. Now Jungle 4 sets and so on. MAYBE TBAS gets 3-4 sets. So that is not a lot. 

Still let's not forget Shadow Box and Art set. Or BIG Tumbler (1-2), Batmobile, Batwing.

I think the point is that, while City subthemes are smaller, the City line as a whole gets probably 30+ sets each year.  Star Wars and Marvel probably get 18-20+ annually if I had to guess.  Harry Potter is probably somewhere in that 15-20 range as well.  DC gets maybe a handful of sets each year, usually 1-2 of which are UCS-scale, another 1-2 of which are 4+, maybe a polybag, and then like 2-3 system scale sets.  I know that DC isn't as popular right now as Marvel or Star Wars, but theoretically it should be a well-known enough property to where we could get larger waves, even if it's still really heavily Batman focused (think the 2006-2009 era).  For whatever reason, though, the sets just don't seem to sell well enough to warrant this.

Could this be the reason... Marvel is for kids - Batman for adults...?

Spoiler

Just now, legoturtle said:

Reveal hidden contents

Simply put, no. Batman and other DC heroes can certainly be done for kids - see the $45 Batmobiles we get for kids for LEGO DC. They just don't have faith in DC to carry big sets beyond Batman related ones, etc. etc. (See prior discussions for the past 46 pages since this thread has little to discuss) 

Does Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Amazon Prime show Batman kids animation shows?

OR just Marvel shows?

Just now, legoturtle said:

Does Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Amazon Prime show Batman kids animation shows?

OR just Marvel shows?

Marvel and DC shows/movies exist together across multiple streaming platforms. Disney Plus doesn't have any DC due to licensing, but otherwise I believe any of those would have DC, Marvel, or some mix.

Posted (edited)

Ok. Then movies. LIVE ACTION MOVIES. The brave and the bold... there is not even written a movie script yet. Joker 2 will be a musical. The Batman 2 has gone even further away. (and it is uncertain will Batman: Caped Crusader come in 2024).

So this does not look good for Batman. MAYBE that 200 € set is Superman set. Mayne that movie is our only hope. That it is quality movie. And it gets lot of movie theatre audience... then we might see sets where is also Batman.

OMG!

I just figured out what will this 200 € set be. Well it is obvious. What year is 2024? AND what kind of set was in TLBM series...? in 2017... I am 100 % sure of this. First I thought it is sci-fi so it could be the Bat. BUT no no no... it will be batman rocket. From TLBM ... because it is also a year of SPACE!

Spoiler

70923_alt1.jpg

Edited by legoturtle

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Reveal hidden contents

My favourite "Batman doesn't get lego sets because he's for adults and not kids" was when Warner made The Lego Batman Movie.

Edited by PGBQW

"DC and Marvel are under the Superhero theme umbrella so they share a budget. I suppose Lego determined that there just wasn't much demand for DC characters that aren't Batman. In addition, the DC movies are pretty bad so less people are going to be inclined to get sets based on them.

Marvel has proven to sell very well and the movies do much better, so the vast majority of the budget goes to the Marvel side."

(reddit)

21 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

"DC and Marvel are under the Superhero theme umbrella so they share a budget. I suppose Lego determined that there just wasn't much demand for DC characters that aren't Batman. In addition, the DC movies are pretty bad so less people are going to be inclined to get sets based on them.

Marvel has proven to sell very well and the movies do much better, so the vast majority of the budget goes to the Marvel side."

(reddit)

I mean... that's basically it. 

Marvel has just sold much better in the recent years. Even last year, which was probably Marvel's worst year yet, they still easily outsold major DC flops like Shazam, The Flash, or Blue Beetle.

Let's just hope Gunn manages to revive the love for DC with his DCU. If not, then the future of this theme is dim.

Why do we keep going in circles here? :tongue: Unrealistic set ideas, aslume jokes, Marvel vs DC, the failure of the DCEU, aslume jokes, hopes for the DCU, aslume jokes, reasons why the DC theme is in the state it‘s in, unrealistic ideas, comments about the state of the thread just like this one, rinse and repeat. Oh, and aslume jokes.

And mayyyyyyyyybe a sprinkle of actual set discussions once in a while :laugh_hard: How did we get here? 

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Why do we keep going in circles here? :tongue: Unrealistic set ideas, aslume jokes, Marvel vs DC, the failure of the DCEU, aslume jokes, hopes for the DCU, aslume jokes, reasons why the DC theme is in the state it‘s in, unrealistic ideas, comments about the state of the thread just like this one, rinse and repeat. Oh, and aslume jokes.

And mayyyyyyyyybe a sprinkle of actual set discussions once in a while :laugh_hard: How did we get here? 

That's correct. We keep going in circles here...

We better leave only Aslume jokes here to keep going on...

NGL, I think past a certain point LEGO DC's failure have been almost entirely due to LEGO's mismanagement. Like there's the obvious things like the WW84 set, the roster for the CMF, etc but also Batman is so popular and has such a diverse cast he could absolutely hold an actual regular theme if LEGO didn't constantly handicap themselves. We talk a lot here about how kid's need a DC cartoon for them to care about Batman but hundreds of non-LEGO Batman toys thrive to this day. I mean sure kids now play the Arkham games and there's a million of those 'sigma male grindset' videos for sexist 12 year olds based around the Bale films but surely those aren't what keep Batman products moving, I think if they just did a handful of distinct colourful sets with various Batvehicles and villains they'd do better than coasting off nostalgia for the guy from The Flash. Maybe it's just what I've seen but I swear to god the tie in sets for half the Marvel movies now seem to never leave store shelves 

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I wish the unrealistic set ideas to aslume jokes ratio was what it is in your comment. The fact that Luigi's pizzaria was unironically suggested still blows my mind.

To try to add something real, here's my guesses on the $200 DC set:

UCS The Bat ($199.99): TDKR Batman, Catwoman

UCS BTAS Batmobile ($199.99): BTAS Batman, Phantasm

I LOVE how unrealistic my McGuffin airlines plane suggestion is. Wanted such a set ever since watching TLBM for the first time 

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

To try to add something real, here's my guesses on the $200 DC set:

UCS The Bat ($199.99): TDKR Batman, Catwoman

UCS BTAS Batmobile ($199.99): BTAS Batman, Phantasm

I‘d be happy with either of those two :laugh: A good third option would be a UCS 60‘s Batmobile, with an updated Robin.

As long as it‘s not a remake of the Burtmobile, I‘m fine with whatever they‘ve cooked up and dare to serve us :laugh_hard:

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

At least this topic is alive thanks to all the nonsense we're discussing — it's not like there's anything else. How much can one say about vague descriptions of four sets?

We've gone the exact same route r/BatmanArkham has. No new content, so we delve deeper and deeper into madness.

Posted (edited)

Is the $200 set definitely a "black box" D2C set? We have never had two for DC in the same year before, and we aren't even guaranteed one every year. Harry Potter is getting a mainline $200 Great Hall playset this year. $200 doesn't go as far as it used to; even small non-licensed modulars are a bit more now. The Burton Batwing went for that in 2020, and the first Tumbler was $200 in 2014. I don't expect a mainline DC playset at this price point, but who knows. And even then the only things that I could see at a price point like this would be a largish vehicle or two at play scale (the BAT vs Bane's Tumbler? I can't think of anything else from well-liked movies which would be iconic and "large scale" enough) or a location like Joker's amusement park, ACE chemicals, Iceberg Lounge, or Arkham Asylum are possible (and could all be BTAS/TNBA based since they are so allergic to the comics now), but those are all too interesting for what we usually get, and there aren't likely to be many minifigures. A new Batcave would compete with the shadowbox, even if that's going to have a short life.

Even if the price seems relatively low to me I think a bat vehicle is a very good guess. The last one was the Tumbler remake in 2021, so there hasn't been a new one since the Burton Batwing. The BAT should scale with the Tumbler, and the 66 Batmobile is somewhat complex, so either of those being done for $200 present day seems unlikely to me. But I could maybe see the BtAS Batmobile being done at that price point, since it is a lot sleeker than other vehicles and a larger model might actually make it look plain and boring, and that's the price they sell the BTTF DeLorean for. But even then it's still weird not just that we are just getting two large DC sets in the same year, but that they would both be based on the same incarnation of Batman.... Who knows though. The weirdness should make speculation more fun, even if we are guessing the worst possible scenario. And I'm happy with the skyline so anything else is just a bonus. Especially since I wouldn't be likely to get a bat vehicle.

If this is a bat vehicle I think it would be great if they returned to the tradition of the Burton sets and include three minifigures. The idea that Phantasm was moved to a D2C Batmobile makes some sense, but she's not very iconic so I can't see her paired with a reused Batman creating much interest. But with Robin or Two-Face as a third figure that might help. Similarly, I think that the BAT could use Bane alongside Batman and Catwoman (especially since Batman might be reused from The Tumbler). And while I am sure a new 66 Robin would interest people and Joker would be too tempting for Lego not to include, the only desirable character from the Adam West series Lego hasn't made at all is Batgirl. An Eartha Kitt Catwoman would also be neat, but that's a deep cut!

The only other thing I could see would be some kind of Batman memorabilia with buildable objects like a batarang, Joker card, Ivy's carnivorous plant, a vial of fear toxin, etc. But who would want that? :P

edit: while speculating, if this isn't a D2C set (which I realize it very likely is, I just can't keep up with rumors as well as I used to) if they are keeping with the BTAS theme they probably could do a playset with the Batwing and a GCPD blimp. Throw in Robin, one or two of the police characters (Gordin/Bullock/Montoya), and a couple of villains (there is always Joker, but I also remember Scarecrow hijacking a blimp in one episode, and Man-Bat would also make sense, but they can really include whoever they want) and that would be...too interesting to be realistic. :P

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The fact that Luigi's pizzaria was unironically suggested still blows my mind.

Well the point was that we could get buildings, streets, locations from Gotham City. Well at least we got the art set where we can see a lot of different buildings.

8 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What are we? Some kinda circle jerk?