faph

Powered Up Shunter "Chunky"

I have recently acquired Cargo Train 60198, which is a great set. I figured out it could do with a shunter, so I started designing one.

The main things I am after are:

1. Something small
  2. With accurate and releastic speeds (slow!) and acceleration (slow!)
  3. Playable and not too difficult to build

So the following is largely inspired by other topics, including:

There it goes:

Shunter-4.png

Unfortunately, the Powered Up motor takes up too much space for the driver to sit inside the cab, but at least they can hang out from the door!

Shunter-5.png

Designed largely around placement of motor + battery box like this, giving it the same overall length and wheelbase I think of Shunter 7760.

Shunter-6.png

34 minutes ago, idlemarvel said:

Very nice. I wonder why you didn’t use the train motor?

Because a shunter needs to be slooooow. Shunting is all about low down grunt, controllability and precision.

She's a lovely little loco. Nice and compact just like a real shunter, and should have good pulling power. 

Thanks! Yes the Powered Up motor can be run in “speed” mode rather than “power” allowing for much finer control. 

@faph Love it! Another great shunter! The colour scheme goes so well with 60198. If you use PyBricks for the hub software, you can get this thing to go really slow. It's beautiful!

Thanks! Yes the colour scheme is intentionally matching with set 60198.

I understand the Lego PoweredUp app would also allow "speed" mode for motors that support it? Not sure if you would be able to then upload that programme to the hub though so I can use the Lego remote control. Seems PyBricks does support that. I like it that PyBricks also allows you to set the maximum acceleration directly.

Edited by faph

Posted (edited)

Small version:

Shunter-low.png

Motor and battery are in the same place. The only issue is the cable will be difficult to feed under the front windows...

Edited by faph

I like the idea of being able to get the roof down lower. You'll have seen how tall mine is. I might just have to borrow some of your ideas here and redesign mine to be a bit lower! Rear cab FTW!

Yeah, in my blue iteration I let the hight be dictated by the door which I lowered by 2 plates.  I want a real door even though the inside of the cab might not be functional.

I think he is using 12t bevels and only drives the front axle. 

It looks like you’re using 12t-16t, but only supported on end of the axles?
Then I assume another 12t at the bottom?

Posted (edited)

Let me get a rendering of the drive later. 

It’s 12:16:12, so 1:1. Driving both axles. I believe this is what @Toxic43 ended up using in a later iteration. 

Edited by faph

Thanks Faph, I'm trying to gear down my Boost motor loco. I'm waiting for parts to arrive but I'm trying out some different configurations in Stud.io. I'm assumed the gears need to be supported from both ends to stop them slipping.

Thank you. You have no problem with the top gear meshing? 

3 hours ago, ejayb said:

Thank you. You have no problem with the top gear meshing? 

I didn't, and my drivetrain is set up exactly like this. I haven't had any issues with the mesh or the motor separating from mounting etc. It is also capable of pulling quite a bit. I ended up having to add weight to mine because it ran out of grip due to the low weight over only 4 wheels.

That's good to hear, I just need to wait for my parts to arrive now :D

5 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

I ended up having to add weight to mine because it ran out of grip due to the low weight over only 4 wheels

Good to know! I’d hoped the batteries and the motor would do the trick.