Dennis Bosman

Truck models (scale 1-17 and 1-13)

Since I'm having quite a backlog in picturing models I'm starting up a new tread to show all 'newly' created truck models.

A couple of years ago I started building RC-controlled scale 1-17 truck models. Currently I more or less stopped with that, however I have a new one which was provided with excellent decals by Jaaptechnic earlier this year. It's a Scania R143 prime mover, basically similar to the bonneted version I'm having for a couple of years right now. Here it's show n with a ballast box on top of the fifth wheel but I actually built it to merge with my Nooteboom low loader. Pictures of the whole combo will follow soon.

wilson01.jpg

The whole album you'll find here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/legotrucks/albums/72177720312628116

Edited by Dennis Bosman

Nice to see you back :thumbup:

32 minutes ago, Dennis Bosman said:

I started building RC-controlled scale 1-17 truck models. Currently I more or less stopped with that

Will you return to 1:13, or keep building in the 1:17 scale, or both? I find them both great, each for their own perks.
Looking forward to see new pictures.

I still find your Kenworth gorgeus, but I can also say the same thing for this Scania

1 hour ago, Milan said:

Nice to see you back :thumbup:

Will you return to 1:13, or keep building in the 1:17 scale, or both? I find them both great, each for their own perks.
Looking forward to see new pictures.

Thanks! Well, last year I found I get more satisfaction with building large scale models. The more detail I can add the more challenging a build is. However, together with the low loader and excavator it’s quite an impressive model I think.

The Kenworth underwent an overhaul two years ago. The entire crane and bodywork can be removed from the chassis. Still need to picture that too.

Edited by Dennis Bosman

Recently I build the Doosan DL-420 7, designed by Eric Trax. Normally I don't build other peoples models but I liked his design and it's in the same scale as the low loaders I currently have. It was also fun to build and I already had about 95% of the elements to be used in my collection. Here it's loaded onto a 5-axle Nooteboom low loader that is pulled by a Scania T143E. The combo I'm having since 2017 already. Originally I was built with a 2-axle jeep dolly but for this instance I built another neck that is straightly fitted to the tractor's fifth wheel. The Scania itself I gave red rims with a white trim, just like the real thing had. Everything is remote controlled and the trailer's axles are steeds by the fifth wheel.

53386253788_5690cf7ea5_c.jpg

53386504795_144de7a86f_c.jpg

More of these kind of models will follow soon!
Edited by Dennis Bosman

16 hours ago, Dennis Bosman said:

Recently I build

Still would love to see the LTM1800 you were thinking to start building a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, Milan said:

Still would love to see the LTM1800 you were thinking to start building a few years ago.

If he decides to build it, it would be a giant even in 1:17 scale.  Now at least there are perfect tires for it - from Audi

Actually I was thinking of building that one once again. It has been 25 years since I built the 2nd version of it. When I would build it, it’ll be much better, more detailed and have more functionality. The possibilities are endless nowadays.

2 hours ago, 1gor said:

If he decides to build it, it would be a giant even in 1:17 scale.

38 minutes ago, Dennis Bosman said:

Actually I was thinking of building that one once again. It has been 25 years since I built the 2nd version of it. When I would build it, it’ll be much better, more detailed and have more functionality. The possibilities are endless nowadays.

You were thinking about 1:15.5 for this crane, same as the original one, if I remember correctly?

It’ll be 1:17 then, to match it with my trucks. Can also build one to carry the boom and additional equipment.

Maybe it’s a nice idea.

Before I start building something new I first picture everything I built the last couple of years.

With a fresh year just started I recognized I already having this Scania 111 for 20 years now. I built the combo in 2003 and finished the Menck M154 excavator early 2004. Twenty years ago the variety of elements was far below today's level. A lot of colors still didn't exist as well as a huge number of shapes. Tiles weren't a common sight yet, something which you do not realize today. This model is studs all around, I didn't change it ever since. But I still think it's a good model that comes close to the real thing. Once I thought building a fresh one according to today's standards, but I don't think I will ever do. I'll keep this one for another 10 years.

53451421128_9663b3e347_c.jpg

53451423453_0a7fe3f107_c.jpg

Link to more pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/legotrucks/albums/72157629173849957/

Masterpieces indeed! Only for protected from dust shelves!

That is very cool, especially given the age of the parts!

I like the use of those old yellow gears for the track system; I don't think I've seen that done on any other MOCs!

Thanks! These yellow gears are from the early 70s; I don't think many people use them anymore. I didn't had those during my childhood but I acquired some after buying various second hand parties during the second half of the 90s, together with the oldskool chains.

I also found this picture. Together with a friend of mine we took some pictures and a short movie of this line up. That was in 2011. I had seven different scale 1:13 trucks then and six trailers. Two of these still exist; the yellow Volvo and the vintage blue Scania of course. All the others I took apart during the years. I think I've to take a similar picture of my current models.

6180113497_da19084b47_c.jpg

Indeed all are good looking models :-)

I have to admit my belly crumbles a little bit when I look closely, for example to the front axle: The 10x1 plates with pin holes are heavily bent from the weight of the vehicle. Also the two rear axles are built at least 1 stud lower that the front axle, leading to a heavy bending of the chassis (cabin is slightly angled...) or is the any suspension on the rear axles like a boogie? 

Edited by Jundis

12 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I have to admit my belly crumbles a little bit when I look closely, for example to the front axle: The 10x1 plates with pin holes are heavily bent from the weight of the vehicle. Also the two rear axles are built at least 1 stud lower that the front axle, leading to a heavy bending of the chassis (cabin is slightly angled...) or is the any suspension on the rear axles like a boogie? 

Now imagine "modernisation" using currently available parts (including frames, panels and Audi tires instead of 24 x 43 tires)...how extraordinary they would be.

On 1/11/2024 at 11:25 AM, Jundis said:

Thanks!

Weight might be a thing indeed. However, these model are not made to drive with. The fact of the front axle bending a little bit doesn't matter then. Real suspension on models like these won't have any effect either; they're far too heavy and the shock absorbers doesn't look that right. Main goal is to add as much detail as possible. If you're familiar with scale 1 to 24 modeling you know what I mean, compare it with those. Picture below is giving you bit of an idea how a chassis looks like.

27577449493_5477eec4c5_c.jpg

On 1/11/2024 at 11:39 AM, 1gor said:

Now imagine "modernisation" using currently available parts (including frames, panels and Audi tires instead of 24 x 43 tires)...how extraordinary they would be.

I would only be interested in the tires since they're having the right size.

12 minutes ago, Dennis Bosman said:

After long time great 81mm tires for trucks, but if you take a closer look to tire tread it is perfect for front end loaders or mobile cranes or offroad dump trucks... I have 4 of them and I'll probably use them on front end loader

53 minutes ago, Dennis Bosman said:

53 minutes ago, Dennis Bosman said:

I would say Audi tires are not as good as 24x43 tires for 1:13 truck models, at least dimension wise.

Most real life commercial trucks use 315/80-22.5, which are around 107cm OD, and around 32cm in width.
24x43 (82mm high, 24mm wide) tires are very close in proportions to 315/80-22.5 (3.34 vs 3.41).
Audi (82mm high, 29mm wide) tires are too wide in proportion to 315/80-22.5 (3.34 vs 2.83).

Audi tires may be somewhat suitable for newer truck models that use super singles on their front axles and even as singles on their rear axles.

I don't have these tires yet so I couldn't make a proper comparison yet. But swapping all these classis 24x43s would be a major investment. And I need proper rims too ....

44 minutes ago, Milan said:

I would say Audi tires are not as good as 24x43 tires for 1:13 truck models, at least dimension wise.

Most real life commercial trucks use 315/80-22.5, which are around 107cm OD, and around 32cm in width.
24x43 (82mm high, 24mm wide) tires are very close in proportions to 315/80-22.5 (3.34 vs 3.41).
Audi (82mm high, 29mm wide) tires are too wide in proportion to 315/80-22.5 (3.34 vs 2.83).

Audi tires may be somewhat suitable for newer truck models that use super singles on their front axles and even as singles on their rear axles.

There are lots of off highway trucks (like Arocs) using 385/65R22.5 tires that are 390mm wide. Highway trucks tend more and more using low profile tires like 315/60R22.5...but 385s are IMHM more suited with classic trucks Dennis is making

15 hours ago, Dennis Bosman said:

Weight might be a thing indeed. However, these model are not made to drive with. The fact of the front axle bending a little bit doesn't matter then. Real suspension on models like these won't have any effect either; they're far too heavy and the shock absorbers doesn't look that right. Main goal is to add as much detail as possible. If you're familiar with scale 1 to 24 modeling you know what I mean, compare it with those. Picture below is giving you bit of an idea how a chassis looks like.

This is really detailled and I completely get your point :-)

My comment wasn't meant as harsh critic, really admire the work you put in! Are you planning to do some newer models with updated wheels as @1gor suggested? This would be really cool, for example heavy duty trucks with the 81x35 for offroad purpose :-)

@Milan You're right, these are sadly too wide for twin tire configurations for trucks. An exception are big Dump Trucks... :-)

15 hours ago, Milan said:

Let me assume Audi tires are perfect for construction equipment. Sorry for offtop,

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

This is really detailled and I completely get your point :-)

My comment wasn't meant as harsh critic, really admire the work you put in! Are you planning to do some newer models with updated wheels as @1gor suggested? This would be really cool, for example heavy duty trucks with the 81x35 for offroad purpose :-)

@Milan You're right, these are sadly too wide for twin tire configurations for trucks. An exception are big Dump Trucks... :-)

No worries, I didn't consider it as harsh critic :-)

I saw the diameter of the wheels is correct, but I really need to have one in my hand to draw a conclusion. It'll give a model a totally different look for sure and I may try with this one that actually should have red wheels:

30293231182_86c2404a71_c.jpg

In the very past (early 90s) I built a couple of trucks on these 20x30 wheels. The rim/tire ratio is totally gone there but 30 years ago you didn't had many options (and no one was bothering about anyway). With the more recent wheels the looks are way better.

49210047027_bac4c0cb18_c.jpg