MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Biggs and Porkins would be great since their older versions are a bit dated at this point

As much as I hate the Sequel Trilogy, I will admit that it had potential in Episode 7, would be really cool if they made a 2021 style sized First Order TIE Fighter or maybe a UCS Starkiller Base

13 hours ago, Old Master said:

Right? The contrast of the black and sand blue, as you can see on the BB Attack Shuttle, looks really great and is much more accurate to the on screen Ties

I completely agree, though ironically I think the Marauder should be DBG instead of sand blue.

Since other media set in the OT has hammered home the light gray interpretation of the TIEs, so it's unlikely we'd get one in normal circumstances, an anniversary set, especially one in a wave with jedi bob's starfighter and an "evil" millenium falcon, would be the perfect opportunity for a sand blue TIE and LBG X-wing.

3 hours ago, Old Master said:

Biggs and Porkins would be great since their older versions are a bit dated at this point

We've never had a biggs with a visor print, somehow.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

We've never had a biggs with a visor print, somehow.

Yeah, a bit of an awkward sore thumb in my collection of Red Squadron. Personally wish they continued with the dual molded helmets, but fixed the faces since they didn't have the chin straps. 

Maybe a bit offtopic but I don't particularly care for you people implying that the original Biggs figure from 1999 is anything less than perfect :hmpf_bad:

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Big_Daddy said:

Maybe a bit offtopic but I don't particularly care for you people implying that the original Biggs figure from 1999 is anything less than perfect :hmpf_bad:

they didn't give him a unique face to show off how glorious his mustache is, so it's like a 9/10. They're lucky the face they chose had that excellent triangle stache design.

That said, Biggs is one of 4 1999 figures I have in my collection, so I agree on a more general sentiment.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

This tie/xwing set is what rumoured to be around 90 they do need the minifigures to be exclusive and desirable to kind of justify the price. It will have to be the rebel pilots that sell it, because we’ve got generic tie pilots, we’ve got loads of vaders in the past few years and we got enough pilot lukes. It needs something to stand out. I’ve only just got the x wing and tie that came out last couple of years so I’m not going to get the set of the figures are unique then i may pick them up off eBay or brick link 

38 minutes ago, Llewop said:

This tie/xwing set is what rumoured to be around 90 

Unfortunately, it's rumored for $110... so they reeeeallllly need to drive a unique value proposition considering the recently retired X-Wing and Tie Fighter were $50 and $45 respectively. I suppose we could get bigger models or more minifigures to justify that but maybe it just falls in line with all the other two ship sets being $110 and we're getting jacked.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Llewop said:

This tie/xwing set is what rumoured to be around 90 they do need the minifigures to be exclusive and desirable to kind of justify the price. It will have to be the rebel pilots that sell it, because we’ve got generic tie pilots, we’ve got loads of vaders in the past few years and we got enough pilot lukes. It needs something to stand out. I’ve only just got the x wing and tie that came out last couple of years so I’m not going to get the set of the figures are unique then i may pick them up off eBay or brick link 

This seems to be a common misconception- they need something exclusive and desirable to "justify the price" or "sell it" to old collectors, sure, but it's an x-wing and tie. To sell well, all it needs to do is accurately portray the ships, provide play value, and not be egregiously overpriced. 

There are plenty of fans who don't have an X-wing and TIE yet, have ones old enough they feel an upgrade is warranted, and most importantly, KIDS who don't have the older models. Even the most generous estimates on adult lego fans' numbers still seem to concede that children make up the majority of sales, especially if you focus on the standard system sets and not 18+ sets. 

9 minutes ago, Old Master said:

Unfortunately, it's rumored for $110... so they reeeeallllly need to drive a unique value proposition considering the recently retired X-Wing and Tie Fighter were $50 and $45 respectively. I suppose we could get bigger models or more minifigures to justify that but maybe it just falls in line with all the other two ship sets being $110 and we're getting jacked.

My assumption is the models will be a bit of an upscale of the 2021 models- especially considering the TIE launched at $40, so they've already partially taken recent inflation into account.

1 hour ago, Llewop said:

It needs something to stand out. I’ve only just got the x wing and tie that came out last couple of years so I’m not going to get the set

Evergreen playsets like the x-wing are meant for kids first and foremost. For every adult collector (who is not the target audience of these sets) who says “we JUST got one of these”, there are ten kids who just turned 7 and are excited to get their first ever x-wing, or Falcon, or yes, even Luke’s landspeeder 

7 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This seems to be a common misconception- they need something exclusive and desirable to "justify the price" or "sell it" to old collectors, sure, but it's an x-wing and tie. To sell well, all it needs to do is accurately portray the ships, provide play value, and not be egregiously overpriced. 

There are plenty of fans who don't have an X-wing and TIE yet, have ones old enough they feel an upgrade is warranted, and most importantly, KIDS who don't have the older models. Even the most generous estimates on adult lego fans' numbers still seem to concede that children make up the majority of sales, especially if you focus on the standard system sets and not 18+ sets. 

My assumption is the models will be a bit of an upscale of the 2021 models- especially considering the TIE launched at $40, so they've already partially taken recent inflation into account.

I get that but considering I can still find the tie and x wing in some shops in my area still it’s not like there isn’t one already on sale for kids. Let’s face it there has been some form of x wing/tie fighter on the shelves since the force awakens released so it’s not like any kids haven’t had a chance to get one. Where I’m from the cost of living is ridiculous a lot of kids aren’t getting a 110 set for birthday/christmas they’ll more likely be getting a battle pack or maybe anything up to 50 price range. If kids are lucky enough to have that kind of money for Lego pretty sure some might lean more towards the Death Star playset rather than x wing/tie. 

that’s why I think this set has to have some top exclusive minifigures to try and boost it because considering the rest of the wave we are getting I can see this one not being popular. 

6 hours ago, Lego Nostalgia said:

When the hell are we going to get more info on the August sets......

Well unlike a lot of the other themes we still have 2 waves of sets to come before we get to the summer wave. Tbh we haven’t had any pics from May yet just the maul figure. Still got 4/5 sets in June as well I’d rather be getting more news and pics about those before August 

5 hours ago, Lego Nostalgia said:

I wonder why Sabine never got arm printing ? there clearly is design on the arms in the show that are visible.

I don’t know, hopefully soon. I need that death star fig list

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I agree for the most part. X-Wings and TIE Fighters don‘t need exclusive minifigs, but adding a selling point or two can‘t hurt :laugh: The anniversary minifigs technically aren‘t needed either, as the boarding scene set for instance likely would’ve sold just as well even without Fives, but they are a nice and very welcome incentive!

The X-Wing vs TIE Fighter set is currently the least interesting one of the entire year to me, and the option to build uglies, while a neat idea, does little to change that. But I will keep an open mind. Maybe it‘s better than I give it credit for!

I know news is slow right now, but let's not get into wishlisting please.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Llewop said:

I get that but considering I can still find the tie and x wing in some shops in my area still it’s not like there isn’t one already on sale for kids. Let’s face it there has been some form of x wing/tie fighter on the shelves since the force awakens released so it’s not like any kids haven’t had a chance to get one.

A pretty solid chunk of the target age range for the set wasn't ALIVE when force awakens released. A number of them were still in diapers when TROS released. What are you gonna say to them, too bad, should've picked up the set when you were 2?

I'm sure many retailers still have some copies of the sets left, but that's not the point. Lego believes a TIE and X-wing must be readily availible for kids consistently, and I completely agree. 

8 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I agree for the most part. X-Wings and TIE Fighters don‘t need exclusive minifigs, but adding a selling point or two can‘t hurt :laugh: The anniversary minifigs technically aren‘t needed either, as the boarding scene set for instance likely would’ve sold just as well even without Fives, but they are a nice and very welcome incentive!

The X-Wing vs TIE Fighter set is currently the least interesting one of the entire year to me, and the option to build uglies, while a neat idea, does little to change that. But I will keep an open mind. Maybe it‘s better than I give it credit for!

Completely agree- more stuff is a nice incentive for AFOLS. I'm gonna pick on you personally, you generally make a pretty clear distinction that something isn't interesting for you as opposed to an objectively bad set or idea.

I'm on the fence about buying it myself. I have the 2018 X-wing and TIE, but I wouldn't mind a smaller model, especially for the x-wing- the 2018 one feels very oversized, but the 2021 one just felt a bit too small, and I didn't like how the body mashed to put the wings in attack mode. That said, since I've already got A version of them, interesting or unique figs could easily be what tips me over the fence to purchase the set. (I'm rooting for a Wedge with a unique face print, but it'll never happen. Biggs/Porkins are far more likely and also more interesting to most people). And for kids, they're mainly going to want just to be able to have an X-wing and TIE, as well as the major characters like Pilot Luke. (Or Tarkin? I guess since he's just a guy in a uniform who doesn't fight lego must not think kids want him as bad, but I know as a kid I REALLY wanted tarkin. Always saw Palps/Vader/Tarkin as the empire's "big three" opposing Luke/Han/Leia)

On an unrelated note, I got the boarding set today. I love it, excellent set, and I really did get a sense of value from it- it's very dense and of course chock-full of figs. Fives is wonderful, the Kama being flat actually looks great in real life, which I wasn't expecting. The main issue I do have, though is QC, which I feel like is going off the rails. I've had more QC issues with lego in the past year or two than in my entire childhood. This set was missing Vader's lightsaber blade and the male stormtrooper's head was misprinted- the eyebrows are pretty far to the right so now he looks really skeptical. It generally wouldn't be an issue, but lego does charge a LOT for their sets, so you'd expect them to have a better grasp on it than this. I know if I was a kid and this was my first Vader, I'd be devastated that his lightsaber blade wasn't included instead of now, where I can just grab one from my weapons bin

UK based people where is the best place to get the new Lego Sw magazine. I thought the shock trooper was out now but all there is in the supermarkets is still the emperor 

20 minutes ago, Llewop said:

UK based people where is the best place to get the new Lego Sw magazine. I thought the shock trooper was out now but all there is in the supermarkets is still the emperor 

It was released yesterday so I'm guessing maybe the supermarkets just haven't turned their stock over yet. :sceptic: Sainsburys and Tesco are my go to, although issues with Clones tend to go fast.

Not sure it is actually worth it this time around: I think the battle pack will eventually dip to 18, if you put 5 on the corruscant guard vs. 13 on the rest of the set, I am not sure the magazine is the way to go. That is unless you are for some reason after multiples of that one clone.

47 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

It was released yesterday so I'm guessing maybe the supermarkets just haven't turned their stock over yet. :sceptic: Sainsburys and Tesco are my go to, although issues with Clones tend to go fast.

Really I thought they were end of last month been looking all week no wonder there wasn’t any. Just thought they were trying to get rid of the emperor magazines before selling the new one. 

22 minutes ago, Arjo said:

Not sure it is actually worth it this time around: I think the battle pack will eventually dip to 18, if you put 5 on the corruscant guard vs. 13 on the rest of the set, I am not sure the magazine is the way to go. That is unless you are for some reason after multiples of that one clone.

I looked at it right now shock trooper is still quite high imo about 8/9 on average on eBay magazine is less so I might buy a couple. Just so then I’ve got enough to fill up my gunship. Eventually when it does go on sale they might be cheaper but right now they aren’t. Even the plain troopers I’ve found are quite expensive at the moment my fingers are crossed they might come in the magazine later this year or next. 

54 minutes ago, Llewop said:

Really I thought they were end of last month been looking all week no wonder there wasn’t any. Just thought they were trying to get rid of the emperor magazines before selling the new one. 

Release date for issue 106 with the Shock Trooper was 6th March and the next one is due on 3rd April. They are every four weeks so throughout the year some fall at the beginning of a month and some at the end. :classic:

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

On an unrelated note, I got the boarding set today. I love it, excellent set, and I really did get a sense of value from it- it's very dense and of course chock-full of figs. Fives is wonderful, the Kama being flat actually looks great in real life, which I wasn't expecting. The main issue I do have, though is QC, which I feel like is going off the rails. I've had more QC issues with lego in the past year or two than in my entire childhood. This set was missing Vader's lightsaber blade and the male stormtrooper's head was misprinted- the eyebrows are pretty far to the right so now he looks really skeptical. It generally wouldn't be an issue, but lego does charge a LOT for their sets, so you'd expect them to have a better grasp on it than this. I know if I was a kid and this was my first Vader, I'd be devastated that his lightsaber blade wasn't included instead of now, where I can just grab one from my weapons bin

Lego's quality control has clearly gone downhill in recent years. And you are correct, for the price they charge we should expect better QC. Please send them a message/complaint. Even if you don't ask for replacement pieces, Lego needs to know we aren't happy with the corners they are cutting. They won't change their model unless they hear from us.

23 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Lego's quality control has clearly gone downhill in recent years. And you are correct, for the price they charge we should expect better QC. Please send them a message/complaint. Even if you don't ask for replacement pieces, Lego needs to know we aren't happy with the corners they are cutting. They won't change their model unless they hear from us.

I had an issue with misprint on a clone helmet, tbf they were very good with replacing but in the same breath there shouldn't  be this issue in the first place. The efficiency of it also makes me think that it is a bigger problem than i thought it was. But saying that that was my first issue in 20 years with Lego so maybe I’ve been lucky compared to others

9 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Release date for issue 106 with the Shock Trooper was 6th March and the next one is due on 3rd April. They are every four weeks so throughout the year some fall at the beginning of a month and some at the end. :classic:

Thanks I’ve just been to shop and they are out picked up one. 

7 hours ago, Llewop said:

Thanks I’ve just been to shop and they are out picked up one. 

Ah good glad you managed to get one. Already starting to see bundles of them on ebay. :hmpf_bad: