Sign in to follow this  
XG BC

Octrainber 2023?

Just a quick question for you guys: will there be an octrainber this year or not, or will it just be later in the year? (just to clarify, dont want to preassure anyone, just curious about if there is or not, probably wont take part anyways, first semester of technical college is enough).

I'm going to speculate and say that it won't happen. It seems that @Cale is struggling to balance the various demands on his time and hasn't enough spare time to run Brick Model Railroader as perhaps he would like. There are matters relating to the past two years' contests that are still outstanding which really need to be attended to before setting a new contest for this year.

Spoiler

I am in no way trying to be a spokeperson for BMR nor speak definitively on the matter, and I will edit/remove this statement in the event that anything I have said is incorrect or objectionable.

It's a real shame and a pity, as I've always enjoyed the contest each year and the way that it energises the community. However, running contests clearly take up a lot of time for the organisers.

2 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

Reveal hidden contents

I am in no way trying to be a spokeperson for BMR nor speak definitively on the matter, and I will edit/remove this statement in the event that anything I have said is incorrect or objectionable.

It's a real shame and a pity, as I've always enjoyed the contest each year and the way that it energises the community. However, running contests clearly take up a lot of time for the organisers.

i feel the same way. of course it would have been nice but sometimes there just isnt the time to do a thing in the way you want to and you need to skip it.

Maybe when it comes back we can have some coordination between contests. I'm a slow builder, BTA in September and Octrainber the next month doesn't work for me, and I'd imagine I'm not the only one.

43 minutes ago, Duq said:

Maybe when it comes back we can have some coordination between contests. I'm a slow builder, BTA in September and Octrainber the next month doesn't work for me, and I'd imagine I'm not the only one.

oh for shure thats also a thing not to have it bunched up so much.

1 hour ago, Duq said:

To be fair, you can build your BTA entries at any time as long as they’re not more than two years old when you enter them. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence_Hurt said:

There is no reason to put someone under pressure! It's reasonable that you might not have time for October with the obligations of the first semester of technical college. Prioritizing your education is usually a smart idea. There's no rush whether it happens later in the year or if it doesn't happen this year. First and foremost, education!

i think you kinda failed your quoting here but yes studying is priority.  no geography to study for me of course as i am studying electrical engineering but yes.

On 10/8/2023 at 2:03 PM, XG BC said:

Just a quick question for you guys: will there be an octrainber this year or not, or will it just be later in the year? (just to clarify, dont want to preassure anyone, just curious about if there is or not, probably wont take part anyways, first semester of technical college is enough). By the way, if you're busy with technical college, that's understandable! Speaking of academics, if you ever need extra support with essays or assignments, check out https://ca.papersowl.com/ - they offer free sample essays and have a team of online writers who can help you out. It's a handy resource for students juggling a lot of responsibilities. So, whether Octrainber happens or not, at least you know where to go for academic assistance!

Hey there! Totally get your curiosity. As of now, it seems like there might not be an Octrainber this year, or it could happen later in the year. No pressure though! Focusing on your first semester at technical college sounds like a solid plan.

Edited by Barry_Smith

1 hour ago, Barry_Smith said:

Hey there! Totally get your curiosity. As of now, it seems like there might not be an Octrainber this year, or it could happen later in the year. No pressure though! Focusing on your first semester at technical college sounds like a solid plan.

Octainber is in October usually. And I am confident 2023 will not get one, considering it's 2024 now!

Actually, Octrainber 2021 still isn't over, BMR never sent the printed award brick or circuit cube

2 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Actually, Octrainber 2021 still isn't over, BMR never sent the printed award brick or circuit cube

certainly isnt over for me...

40 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Same here for OcTRAINber 2021 and 2022.....

I think, OcTRAINber ist death!

It was a great time, but unfortunately probably too much work for the organizers. I can imagine that it was a lot of work and also costly. And we do this as a hobby and everyone still has a life!

Thomas

On 2/8/2024 at 4:36 PM, Ts__ said:

It was a great time, but unfortunately probably too much work for the organizers. I can imagine that it was a lot of work and also costly. And we do this as a hobby and everyone still has a life!

That's all very true, but the contest part of OcTRAINber always seemed to run fairly smoothly (or at least that's how it appeared from the outside). It's just the prize-giving that seems to have been where it came unstuck, with many people still waiting for items that were promised over several years. It might have been better if they'd taken a similar approach to the Brick Train Awards where the prizes come in the form of credit with the sponsors to be spent on their products. That way all that would be required is an exchange of emails and there would have been none of the complication of shipping things around the world.

Ah well. C'est la vie.

Yes, a voucher makes things easier. But the OcTRAINber also had that, but only as an announcement ;-)
(Voucher for BrickModelRailroder webshop, but the voucher was not sent)

6 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

C'est la vie.

Yes. Good point

Thomas