Marlow

Santa Fe Super Cap (El Capitan + Super Chief) - build in old greys

I've always been a fan of the 10020, 10022 and 10025 sets. I have a full set with 2 limited edition locomotives, a set of rebricked 10022 and 10025 railcars in new greys and i've even created my own EMD FP45 MOC.

After getting my hands on a Santa Fe Pleasure Dome railcar, I found out, that instructions for a B-unit and a full Hi-Level El Capitan consist exist.

So over the timeframe of about 3 months, I've gathered all the light and dark grey bricks, that I needed to build these.

The entire consist are 2 limited edition 10020 Santa Fe EMD F7 locomotive, 2 F7B B-units (each with a 9V motor), 3 x 10022 (dining, observation and sleeper car), 2 x 10025 (railroad post office and baggage car), Pleasure Dome and 6 Hi-Level El Capitan railcars (I build 2 Transition Coaches, one for each end). To be able to even move this train on my fairly large layout, I need 3 regulators along the track and I had to replace the magnets with stronger ones, which were sourced from Bevins Bricks and Lifelites. The stickers on all cars, that aren't official sets, where sourced from BrickStickerShop.

I also build the entire consist in Stud.IO, because it's actually not that easy to find the space to take decent pictures of it. I tried none the less.

53172601576_4204127de2_b.jpg

53173027825_0f96a7c9f5_b.jpg

53173078528_4294a3f960_b.jpg

Here is a video, that goes through every railcar with breakouts and has the trains driving at the end.

It's been fun building this. It's even more fun seeing it in motion.

/M

Wait 4x9v motors pull all this? I thought this thing would have many more motors. 

Great layout and incredible train, thanks for sharing! 

Is that... Table football AND a pool table in the living room? Hell yeah! 

Can you share what kind of camera car you use? (admittedly I didn't watch all 30 minutes of the video) Thanks

1 hour ago, Sunil766 said:

Wait 4x9v motors pull all this? I thought this thing would have many more motors. 

Great layout and incredible train, thanks for sharing! 

Is that... Table football AND a pool table in the living room? Hell yeah! 

Can you share what kind of camera car you use? (admittedly I didn't watch all 30 minutes of the video) Thanks

Thanks.

4 pcs 9V motors. I had originally fit 6 motors (2 on each B-unit), but that was way too much draw for the regulators to even move the train. I reckon, upgrading the regulators is next down the list. Then again, I wouldn't run it as a full consist normally. It was great, that it worked though. Ball bearings are also on the list, to fit.

Yes, table football and pool table in the livingroom. I even used to have a pinball machine. Some day maybe again.

Most of the video was recorded using the DJI Action 2. It has the perfect size to go on a camera railcar.

/M

Edited by Marlow

17 minutes ago, Sunil766 said:

I've build these 2 camera railcars for recording. I haven't used the one with the Sony cam yet, as it's a recent addition, so don't know, how that one will work out, yet.

But all the recordings in that video were done with the DJI Action 2 on that railcar.

53172262722_9ef1d1cd99_b.jpg

/M

Edited by Marlow

Fantastic consist and layout, @Marlow.  Your collection of 9v and PF/PU trains is very impressive!

I love your custom extra carriages - they really add to the look while keeping in the old style.  I've always wanted the Super Chief but obtaining even just the locomotive these days costs an absurd amount of money, let alone the suggest 2 locomotives + 5 cars it gives.

That's cruising the rails in style. Stunning work on the consist. From the first locomotive to the drumhead on the rear, it looks great. Nice way to get the videos too.

2 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Fantastic consist and layout, @Marlow.  Your collection of 9v and PF/PU trains is very impressive!

I'm looking forward to in about a week, when FXbricks start shipping their 9V switch tracks. The outer track and 2 tracks through the railyard will then also be 9V.

On pricing. Yes, especially the Santa Fe and the Emerald Night sets have gotten prohibitive. Unfortunately.

/M

Wow! Great job recreating a classic train, including all of its variants. The El Capitan Hi-Level cars have always been a rarity because the drop baseplates only came in two sets (well, three since the Metroliner club car was rereleased) and "back in the day" easily went for $50 on Bricklink. The Maersk changed that availability considerably but that was in blay. As the others have said, it is amazing that you got this train to move, at least you aren't limited to R40 curves. Looks great

On 9/9/2023 at 2:39 PM, zephyr1934 said:

The El Capitan Hi-Level cars have always been a rarity because the drop baseplates only came in two sets (well, three since the Metroliner club car was rereleased) and "back in the day" easily went for $50 on Bricklink. 

The Metroliner Club Car (and it's re-release) are also the only sets that have the windows used in the El Capitan Sky Lounge. And equal culprit. The expansion certainly didn't come cheap, but it's such a legendary train, I figured it deserved a go.

On the curves: my layout has near to no R40 curves and only the 9V portion has R40 switches, but even that will change shortly. It certainly helps.

/M

Edited by Marlow

Amazing.  I bought enough engines and cars when they came out to build two A units and a B, plus all the cars.  I probably still have enough left over to build at least one more car. ...  If only I'd been smart enough when they came out to buy bunches of the cars & a couple more engines.  Sigh.  (The locos, A&B, and the five cars, are all prominently displayed.)

I did buy James' book, though.  Excellent instructions.  I built his RS1 & was very impressed.  Still have it together, too.

This consist is terrific.

The Santa-Fe remains one of my favourites sets but the price for the your complete train is outrageous! 

Not to be totally left out in the cold, I created my own version in the modern colours and ran it on Powered-Up hubs and motors. 

I then set about adding a headlight pair, the B-Units and 4 carriages. All up 2 locos, 2x B-units and Diner, Passenger seating, Sleeper and Observation deck. All built, tested and running sweetly.

Santa was kind this year and gifted me a pair of near-new windscreens and horns...

Check out the photos at ReBrickable - Search TrainsWithLights

7 minutes ago, PopsicleLEGO said:

I then set about adding a headlight pair,

I have actually since sourced 2 pcs of 3748 service kits (headlights for the Santa Fe). Need to find 2 more potentially. Haven't fitted them yet.

And yes, the pricing of the bricks alone for the build is not something easily swallowed.

/M