Mister Phes

[CONTEST] Return of the Classic Pirates - Vote Counting

8 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

What is a regulator doing? 

A Regulator is responsible for the minor upkeep of the forums, so tasks include:

• Ensuring Pirate MOCs and posted in the Pirate MOC Forum, and not the main LEGO Pirates Forum.
  • Ensuring that topic titles don't contain errors and have consistent prefixes.  I.e. [ENTRY] not [entry]
  • Assisting to keep the Contest Entry Index or other indices updated.
    As we only have one active Pirate Regulator I've been doing this entirely by myself - so it would be great to have more help for future contests.

Hi, I have two questions:

The rules state that I can't add a new entry after the time is up, is it possible to modify an existing one?

I didn't see my entry added to the list, am I disqualified?

49 minutes ago, nyugvo6 said:

The rules state that I can't add a new entry after the time is up, is it possible to modify an existing one?

Generally the answer is no.  But it depends how you intend to modify the entry - please elaborate...

49 minutes ago, nyugvo6 said:

I didn't see my entry added to the list, am I disqualified?

No, just hadn't got around to adding it due to the number of entries being posted - it's hard to keep up at times!

But in the first post of the Entries Index states:

If you don't see your entry here, post in your entry topic and tag @Mister Phes.

Which you did not do, hence why it took longer to get added.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Generally the answer is no.  But it depends how you intend to modify the entry - please elaborate... 

No, just hadn't got around to adding it due to the number of entries being posted - it's hard to keep up at times!

But in the first post of the Entries Index states:

If you don't see your entry here, post in your entry topic and tag @Mister Phes.

Which you did not do, hence why it took longer to get added.

just adding a 6x8 plate underneath the build (since it was a very popular request) while removing the glass from the lantern. if it can't be done, it's okay. I'll accept it.

thanks for adding my entry btw!

26 minutes ago, nyugvo6 said:

just adding a 6x8 plate underneath the build (since it was a very popular request) while removing the glass from the lantern. if it can't be done, it's okay. I'll accept it.

And you can't complete that within the next 26 hours?

So i see that our contest is either headig till the end or has already ended, not sure what kind of clock do we use actually, guess we shuld have asked earlier, cause it;s already 27th in my time zone, but an hourglass shows there's still 9 hours left... :)

So anyway... whatever the time is, can we leave ( unclassified ) feedback for those entries that we didn;t have time to comment on, but which we'd like to discuss anyway? Or should we just drop our pencils and go home? ;)

And about voting. I don't know what's been decided yet, but if i may still have a say i think 5 votes would be better than 3 votes, at least in Main Category, as so many entries started to jump out of the woodwork at the last hour and since poeple had to invest a lot more time into them, it would be great if we could give more points to show out appreciation for their work. Seems it would be more fair in my oppinion, tho plenty would still obiously not get our votes. And it would be simpler to vote this way. Tho, obviously i can always pick 3 if that would be decided.

Little bit different in the Mini Category section tho, as here we had more display builds and repetitive "dig the treasure"/"secret stash" ideas, so it would be harder to pick top 5... At least in my case. 

And about those posts where we will have to leave our votes. You said we can do a little afterworld for those entries? Should we write little afterword for the whole category, to reflect on the whole show? 

2 hours ago, Mazin said:

So i see that our contest is either headig till the end or has already ended, not sure what kind of clock do we use actually, guess we shuld have asked earlier, cause it;s already 27th in my time zone, but an hourglass shows there's still 9 hours left... :)

The time zone is written in various places including the Eurobricks homepage.

image.png

2 hours ago, Mazin said:

And about voting. I don't know what's been decided yet, but if i may still have a say i think 5 votes would be better than 3 votes

It'll be minimum 3 votes and a maximum 5 votes in each category.

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

It'll be minimum 3 votes and a maximum 5 votes in each category.

A wise compromise! :pir-classic:

Edited: @Mister Phes I noticed that this subject still states that there are only 3 votes per category. This might be confusing to some users.

Edited by Dreamweb

4 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

A wise compromise! :pir-classic:

Edited: @Mister Phes I noticed that this subject still states that there are only 3 votes per category. This might be confusing to some users.

Yeah, i saw that too, but was sure that Master Phes will edit that when the discussion about voting will be done :)

Sometimes the names of the entries are very close to others. Should we add the builder's names for clarification?

5 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

13 minutes ago, Mazin said:

Yeah, i saw that too, but was sure that Master Phes will edit that when the discussion about voting will be done :)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! :pir-thumb:

I'm in the process of updating everything and there are plenty of details to update.  So if I've missed anything, just post here.

1 minute ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Sometimes the names of the entries are very close to others. Should we add the builder's names for clarification?

That is a very good idea! :thumbup:

I'm confused, does the voting start right away or on August 28th like it says it does? If the latter is true, perhaps it would be good to lock the voting topic for now.

11 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Yeah i guess i voted too early. Please delete my post and i do it again tomorrow. I have saved it on disk :pir_laugh2:

That's fine - we need people to test the voting system before announcing voting is open. :pir-thumb:

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! :pir-thumb:

I'm in the process of updating everything and there are plenty of details to update.  So if I've missed anything, just post here.

That is a very good idea! :thumbup:

So i'll try bringing my previous question to Your attentio  then ;)

What about afterwords for our favorite entries or for the entire category/entire contest? You said that our final thoughts in the post with votes will be important to assess our reviewing, if i understood it correctly, but You also wanted to keep those posts simple and clear to count all the votes... 

Like if i would like to drop few words about what i hoped to see in this contest and what we got, or about the struggle between modern and classic parts that we've observed, as well as the battle between factions of the Pirate Theme, who gained, who lost...  would that be ok? 

Or should we just stick to the good old "i gave the 1st place to Mr X cause he's my fiance's neighbour's grandma's uncle's sister's wife's cousin, twice removed" explanation? ;)   

33 minutes ago, Mazin said:

Like if i would like to drop few words about what i hoped to see in this contest and what we got, or about the struggle between modern and classic parts that we've observed, as well as the battle between factions of the Pirate Theme, who gained, who lost...  would that be ok? 

That's fine..

48 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

@Mister Phes I guess that this entry should be in the mini category, not the main one ...

Indeed you are correct! :pir-thumb:

I wonder, do You think it would be possible and wise to perhaps group similar entries together in the Index? Like, we have a couple of real visual "twins" in here, a pair of Rock Island Refuge remakes being one of the examples, not just because they are remakes of the same set, but they are strickingly similar, and i myself constantly mix them together, as I forget that these are two different builds and not two photos of the same entry ;)  And with one of them being on top of the Index, while the second one might be placed somewhere in the middle, it might give an unplanned advantage, a pole pisition, to the the first one. 

5 minutes ago, Mazin said:

I wonder, do You think it would be possible and wise to perhaps group similar entries together in the Index?

It doesn't seem like a bad idea!  But I'd like some more opinions on the idea...

Throughout the next three weeks I intend to present the entries in various formats and ordering... depending whether time permits.

I think grouping them by type would also be a good idea. E.g. islands, ships, forts, etc. This time without categorising them on the basis of whether they are remakes or new ideas. Just a different perspective.

18 minutes ago, Dreamweb said:

I think grouping them by type would also be a good idea. E.g. islands, ships, forts, etc. This time without categorising them on the basis of whether they are remakes or new ideas. Just a different perspective.

I thought about that, and almost wrote that, but then i've realized that grouping them by ships etc, might provoke folks to use those groups as a sorta categories and they might feel urged to spread their votes for "best ship", "best island", "best raft", etc and i'm not sure if we want that, i'm more into giving votes regardless of the type, but that's me, i have my own voting ethic... And if all ships are grouped together then i guess some ship maniacs might just pick all their votes only from that sailing bunch, ignoring entries from other types. In other words, i believe that mixing types would force people to scroll down through the whole list and they be forced to note that there are other types of sets, and they might spot some cool stuff this way... even tho the list wouldn't be as clear as if everything was grouped.   

2 hours ago, Mazin said:

I wonder, do You think it would be possible and wise to perhaps group similar entries together in the Index? Like, we have a couple of real visual "twins" in here, a pair of Rock Island Refuge remakes being one of the examples, not just because they are remakes of the same set, but they are strickingly similar, and i myself constantly mix them together, as I forget that these are two different builds and not two photos of the same entry ;)  And with one of them being on top of the Index, while the second one might be placed somewhere in the middle, it might give an unplanned advantage, a pole pisition, to the the first one. 

I am in favor of this idea as well. I had to open two windows to compare the two Lagoon Lockup entries. Having them right next to each other would have been easier.

EKnight

47 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

I am in favor of this idea as well. I had to open two windows to compare the two Lagoon Lockup entries. Having them right next to each other would have been easier.

EKnight

Yeap, i second that. And it's kinda "if you've seen one of them, you've seen them all" problem. Someone who will stumble upon one set and will dislike it might authomaticaly ignore the "twin" thinking that it's the same.  Same with those two soldiers' towers that were built for display as they miss real interior work, they seem identical on the list, but are entirely different after a deeper look into them.  

9 hours ago, Elephant Knight said:

Ok, I'll see what I can do when have some spare time.

But right now, better post an announcement on the Eurobricks frontpage.

On 8/12/2023 at 7:26 AM, Mister Phes said:

divider.png

Creative Critics

You may also weigh-in your final thoughts and commentary along with your votes.

Your closing thoughts will also be considered to determine the winner of the Creative Critic Category.

These thoughts are not intended to be discussion, so only one post per critic.

Again, if anyone feels the need to respond, please do so in the appropriate entry topic(s).  Be sure to quote the Creative Critic you're responding to so they're alerted.

divider.png

One question around the casting of votes by critics.

The critic comments - are these supposed to be 1) put with the votes in the voting thread, or 2) votes in the thread, separate comments in each build topic?