Alexu

[ENTRY] 6274 Caribbean Clipper Remake - DISQUALIFIED

DISQUALIFIED: Entry was built prior to contest.

Hello guys, 

Actually I did this remake last year, way before the new Eldorado Fortress has been announced and I've just realised I could enter it for the contest so ... why not ?

My goal was really simple : I wanted a Caribbean Clipper that could suit the new Barracuda, but keep the original spirit. If you look at them and think they match well together, then it means mission is accomplished. 

Let me know :)

Alexu

1280x1280.jpeg

1280x1280.jpeg

1280x1280.jpeg

1280x1280.jpeg

1280x1280.jpeg

1280x1280.jpg

1280x1280.jpeg

1280x1280.jpeg

I hate to be the one to say this but the entries are supposed to be made before the contest see [CONTEST] Return of the Classic Pirates - WIN a 10320 Eldorado Fortress - LEGO Pirates - Eurobricks Forums for the details. Anyway, your ship is lovely, all I would do is update the minifigures, add a picture of the inside of the cabin, and perhaps revisit the figurehead as it looks a bit blocky, but that's what Legos are so... Anyway, happy building :) 

As for the first thing I said we shall see what the other creative critics have to say, best of luck :pir-huzzah2:

Looks good with some very modern techniques, and it well matches the design language used in Barracuda Bay.  I am not the one to judge whether or not this qualifies for the contest, but I certainly enjoy looking at it!

The ladder between the two cannons could benefit from the same technique used on the Barracuda Bay ship, so that it slopes back following the tumblehome.

This set's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness: by closely following the original 6274, you've got some issues:

• Ratlines running in the center of the boat
  • An unused mizzenmast (admittedly you've got a crow's nest there, but a mast like this would be great for a spanker or a lateen sail like Skull's Eye Schooner has on its aftcastle.
  • A boat that's a bit too short and wide to go toe-to-toe with the Barracuda

But despite these, it looks great.  I will wait for someone to come by and say that the brown masts don't look good, but I like them!  Really nice work modernizing this set!

8 minutes ago, iragm said:

I will wait for someone to come by and say that the brown masts don't look good, but I like them!

It ain't gonna be me :pir-wink:, I love it also :thumbup:

Love it! It's one of my favorite childhood sets, and my kids loved it too when I introduced them to it. This is a superb modernization. Not sure about technical boat stuff, but it looks like a fun model.

8 hours ago, iragm said:

I will wait for someone to come by and say that the brown masts don't look good, but I like them!

Well I'll do it! I don't know as from all my previous comments everyone might notice that I'm all in for swapping any blacks representing wood for the brown. In this case, there's already a lot of black around and the brown just somehow doesn't work for me. Would like to see it with black masts and also swapping the ladders for dark tan. Else it's a really nice design and aesthetically fits the Barracuda remake. It's just a bit short as is the original and thus the cabin looks too tall and the intruded staircase or the bulky entrance don't really look that well.

On 8/27/2023 at 7:00 AM, Alexu said:

DISQUALIFIED: Entry was built prior to contest.

Actually I did this remake last year, way before the new Eldorado Fortress has been announced and I've just realised I could enter it for the contest so ... why not ?

Why not?  Because the rules state your entry must be built after 28 June, 2023.

It seems there has been a misunderstanding.