Dr3w

[ENTRY] 6254 Rocky Reef + 6261 Raft Raiders Remake

Hi all, 

After my mini model of Tidy Treasure Remake I'd like to submit a sligthly bigger one which is a remake of 2 medium size sets: Rocky Reef and Raft Raiders. 
Image 1

Image 2
I had to learn using Studio on the go so it's not perfect, but I had good fun building it, thank you for organizing this contest. :) 

Updated version of the model on the links below.

It can be put to the Entries Index, please @Mister Phes.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
Image 6

Rocky%20Reef%20+%20Raft%20Raiders%20Rema

Edited by Dr3w
Updated Model

I like Your landcaping and this raft is sorta nice too, but i think there;s not much action there. Tho i see there is indeed a secret compartment. It would be cooler if You could provide some insight on what's in, close up photos would be great, same for Your characters. As for characters, i think the easiest way to enchance the attractivness of the whole set would be to bring more vatiety in minigis, there are 3 pirates now, non of them realy interesting, so i would replace at least one with a soldier, or an islanders. Maybe it could be soldiers figting soldiers actually? That would be sort of original. Two factions shipwrecked onto that little island. Maybe they will kill each other, maybe they will become friends, or maybe the treasure is possesed and will drive them mad.

Anyway. As much as i like the raft i think it lacks any life, considering it;s size. There;s so much space on it. Do something about it. Maybe there could be more occupants. Maybe there could be rescued animals. Maybe there could be a lady or two, maybe it could be a pastor or a priest with them, and not a pirate. Maybe it;s got crates and barrels with supplies. 

It;s design isn;t bad, it;s that Your raft seems to be more lonely than it;s only crewman ;)

Also that flag could be changed to either a proper big soldier/pirate banner or something colorful. Flags are always an easy way to bring charm :)

And raft's front is a bit confusing. Did You plan on installing someting else into that piece right in front of the hooked fellow? It looks like if someone is missing there?

A nice build and I think I spot some playability in there perhaps you could add a drawn-on arrow to indicate this? Perhaps you could also change those light grey tiles to the tan color of the sand, and center the island on the water plates? Other than this I would revisit the raft and finish whatever the front was supposed to be I see teeth plates and some arches but aren't quite sure what they are. Also maybe you could add one imperial to the mix in case the buyer would want to have them fight. Anyway, Happy building and I look forward to any updates and or new mocs that you make :)

I get that this is a modernization of two classic sets, but I agree that it would be stronger with two factions.

This is a very ambitious design, but you've done a great job with a lot of elements, especially the recreation of the sliding cliffs.

One issue I see is the rocks and sand; usually you'd have a pile of rocks sticking up out of sand.  Sand doesn't form straight vertical cliffs like you've got in the center of the build (1 full brick high), and rocks don't usually form shallow slopes down to the water.  Details like this might not seem important, but they subconsciously take me out of the build.  Get rid of the 1x3 slopes in gray and make all the rocks the same color and general (vertical) shape.

Looks great apart from this, though!

Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions! 

There is indeed some playability: the rock and the sandy platform at the top slides together to the right revealing the skeleton, just as the original set did. 
In my eyes the 3 minifigures are not necessarly pirates, but more like seafearing adventurers, treasure hunters (one of them is a lady actually). This is why I omitted pirate flags or a skull pattern on the raft's sail. Also, I didn't feel the need of another faction or enemies as the skeleton/undead guy is a good enough adversary to our heroes. There's also a shark now to fight. :) 

Anyways, I've followed many of your advice and done some updates: 

- I've changed the gray tiles to tan and dark tan
- The island is now centered on the water plates
- The raft was a bit incomplete indeed, so I've placed a lantern in the front to light the way and added a small weapons/tool rack.
 When the 3 figures are on board with their equipment and treasure chest, the raft is pretty well-packed. 

Here are the images that tell the Raft Raiders' adventure at the Rocky Reef in this order:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
Image 6

Edited by Dr3w

Your boat looks a lot more sea worthy than many of the other barrel boats that folks have been making. I like the hiding place of the treasure and the reveal. It's a nice play feature.

The island looks good but it could use a few light tan cheese slopes to smooth out the sand to rock edges. 

I understand everything now except the flag, it is a classic pirates contest perhaps they are adventures but I think if Lego were to make a set like this it would include a pirate flag :)

I must admit I prefer your mini build. This one is not bad, the recreation of the play feature is cool yet the island sand looks a bit rushed. Too vertical in places and some grey rocks just thrown in there not being connecting to anything. The brick built sail does not do justice to the otherwise nicely designed raft!

Thanks for adding this to the entris index my good sir, and thanks for all your constructive comments! :pir-huzzah2:
I see I'll have to work a bit on my landscaping skills and I agree that a real sail would have worked better, but I didn't find it on Studio... 

Weird, so this one asked to be added to the Index, and You said it's already in there  @Mister Phes ,but it's definitely not listed :/ I think You might have mixed it with that other similar island+raft+shark entry which made it to the list or some goblin sabotaged Your attempt to add links ;)