Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL-FB] The Stormchaser

April 622, Somewhere not far from Seawatch, New Haven Sea

"Hoist the mainsail, ya scurvy dogs!" - the captain was yelling at the top of his lungs, but hearing him in the whistle of the wind was still very difficult- "Let's see if those fishing boats wanna dance with us!".

800x600.jpeg

The "fishing boats" had just rounded the promontory, one mile behind, and were closing in fast... but as soon as they left the cover of the shore the waves started to hit them with their full strength. The sailors of the Stormchaser laughed wildly as the three junks started to swing and list dangerously, the sails flapping out of control: they could imagine the chaos, the soldiers slipping and rolling on the deck, the wheel spinning around... for that day, their chase was definitely over!

800x600.jpeg

"Brace yourselves lads! Give me more jib and say farewell to those bilge rats!" The little crew roared and ran to the ropes. Soon, the Lotii would have turned back to their port, seasick and humiliated, and Seawatch would have been fed for one more day.

800x600.jpeg

The Stormchaser, and many other little ships with her, were the last, weak connection between Seawatch and the rest of the world: the settlement was surrounded, and all the roads had been cut. However, the Lotii junks blockading the port were not as fast and seaworthy as the Madrician sloops. When the sea became rough, therefore, brave and slightly mad captains tried the dangerous routes from Fort Arltrees or Spudkirk, defying the storms and the enemy patrols. They were called Sturmreitern, the riders of the storms, because that was exactly what they did: riding the waves and the winds, that the Lotii didn’t dare to face! Some considered them smugglers and profiteers, others called them heroes and saints... whatever the truth, their cargoes of dried meat, hardtack and gunpowder allowed Seawatch to survive.

800x600.jpeg

Before departure, the boat had been stripped of anything less than essential, then barrels and crates were fastened in every empty space. The little ship must remain as light and fast as possible, but the cargo had to be worth the risks!

800x600.jpeg

"Port ahead, Cap! I see the lighthouse!" The little port tower had been shelled several times, but somehow it was still standing. They had completed another passage, one more line to carve on the mast. Now the waves seemed funnier, and everyone was laughing and cheering... apart from the Carnite officer they had taken on board, who was still a little too green to talk!

800x600.jpeg

----------
Front view of the Stormchaser

800x600.jpeg

A  side view of the ship and its support

800x600.jpeg

-------------------------

After a week on a sailboat, I can finally present you the Stormchaser, which I completed soon before my departure! I'm thinking of licensing it as class 2 or 3 (suggestions appreciated: 22 studs at the waterline, 40 at the deck, excluding the bow mast). This is an idea I had before the siege of Seawatch was lifted, but I never had a chance to complete it.

Now that the "humanitarian smuggling" task of the Stormchaser is over, it can move to more profitable businesses!

Edited by Keymonus

Very cool scene, glad you decided to make it even though the siege was lifted a while ago. I really love your storytelling, and the dynamic scene makes it all the better :pir-huzzah2:

As for the ship I think it feels more like a class 2 than a class 3, but ultimately it's up to you

Thank you guys! This build is a little bit out of time, but I’m glad I made it! 
I agree about the class, looking at previous ships the Stormchaser should definitely be a class 2, also considering how “slim” and light it is.

A very nicely built fishing ship and an exciting story. I really like the posture and faces of the ship's crew. I see heroes of the sea providing Seawatch with the essentials for a modest fee!

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions! The Stormchaser is now licensed as a class II fast merchant