Valdeirus

[ENTRY] Cannibals (Mini Set)

Hi, this is my [Entry] set "Cannibals" for Design mini set conquest (Mini Set Entry)
49 pieces (includes 3 minifigures and parrot).
I had 6246 as a kid and always wondered if islanders were cannibals so this idea came to my mind today :)
Set combines old style LEGO (yellow sand) with new style LEGO (new faces and some newer pieces).
I really like islander warrior CMF and female islander - so I had to use them (with female head switched to some nicer one).

Hope you like it!

But if you think islanders weren't cannibals - remember LEGO is to create different stories with bricks ;)

First 4 photos show all parts used, other photos may lack some parts - just didn't want them to lay loose.
I can prepare list of parts if somene needs it.

Greets!
Piotr

84b227c67d61347da458a722ace720a8.jpgb3ce5bb505bbb7f17a62ee57c19f50cb.jpg4cb4b3dd176a6858371d3595e608ee11.jpgb1c6a1fef6a440085f7348b92b6cf229.jpgc8a8d7cf48b05c67137dad256b5e1984.jpg67abf14f8d685d78d8e60f84320e5129.jpg1e2148128610f56b5d075fa46b41c4d9.jpg

20230809_192431e.jpg

Edited by Valdeirus

Forget about the sailor being devoured, cooking the poor parrot is even worse!

Edited by Murdoch17

9 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Forget about the sailor being devoured, cooking the poor parrot is even worse!

Nice dessert, and some new feathers to wear :D

Theme

So, the cannibalism is surprisingly ok, as there was a POTC set which came with cannibals. There's a lot to like besides that aspect, with some good details and accessories : a parrot, some weapons, a skeletal hint that this isn't the first victim, which really adds to the atmosphere of the whole thing, as does the scared face on the poor fellow. I would however consider adding an extra weapon for the pirate to be able to make an escape, and I'd personally make that bone a chicken breast piece-since not even cannibals can eat bones. 

Build

The old style colours work well and add to the build's look, but the use of brown and black for wood looks strange (the log is brown but the cooking contraption is black), I'd make 'em use the same colour to add consistency (or even better : the ones most exposed to fire should be black, like the fireplace's bottom, but the ones not yet over-exposed, like the new wood or the log at the front, should be brown). The contraption is quite detailed and the foliage adds just a little colour to an otherwise drab background. 

13 minutes ago, Horation said:

Theme

So, the cannibalism is surprisingly ok, as there was a POTC set which came with cannibals. There's a lot to like besides that aspect, with some good details and accessories : a parrot, some weapons, a skeletal hint that this isn't the first victim, which really adds to the atmosphere of the whole thing, as does the scared face on the poor fellow. I would however consider adding an extra weapon for the pirate to be able to make an escape, and I'd personally make that bone a chicken breast piece-since not even cannibals can eat bones. 

Build

The old style colours work well and add to the build's look, but the use of brown and black for wood looks strange (the log is brown but the cooking contraption is black), I'd make 'em use the same colour to add consistency (or even better : the ones most exposed to fire should be black, like the fireplace's bottom, but the ones not yet over-exposed, like the new wood or the log at the front, should be brown). The contraption is quite detailed and the foliage adds just a little colour to an otherwise drab background. 

Thanks for the review. Actually I could use some dark brown wood pieces or even gray ones as ashes. However it takes time for wood to change color so let's just say it's a fresh campfire on the usual place for that purpose (black 2x4 plate).

Fair enough, I will still recommend adding a chicken breast, even more so for such a recent campfire, since it's unlikely they are re-eating old meat...

I love the small build but in my mind, there is a dilemma some parts of the build are new while others have the old 1990s look I would either go for a completely old set or a completely new set. My other suggestions are to try and add a rotating spit for the pirate and I would personally add a few more rocks/plants for the build, perhaps to hold the build together. Other than this I would rework the black 2x4 plate as it looks out of place (unless you are to go for the 1990s look) Anyway, Happy building :)

Gruesome but at the same time a bit funny. Perhaps add some background scenery like a hut or a cave?

8 hours ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

I love the small build but in my mind, there is a dilemma some parts of the build are new while others have the old 1990s look I would either go for a completely old set or a completely new set. My other suggestions are to try and add a rotating spit for the pirate and I would personally add a few more rocks/plants for the build, perhaps to hold the build together. Other than this I would rework the black 2x4 plate as it looks out of place (unless you are to go for the 1990s look) Anyway, Happy building :)

To make it look hybrid (new/old style) was my intention. I was also restricted by 50 pieces to make it a legit entry.
Rotating spit would be nice, but this one looks better. Campfire has many little pieces, so i couldn't add more. Also no more rocks because rules are rules (I deleted few parts for that).
BTW my first prototype included old palm tree. Even if I didn't build it for the conquest, and make it more new like build I would leave old palm tree because the technic parts ones are bad in my opinion.
Not always new parts and techniques look better - that's why I built it as it is, but with pieces restriction I couldn't make more.
I could delete one islander fig to save few pieces, but I wanted them to be able to carry the spit, and I think I wouldn't decide which islander fig to leave - I like'em both.

Edited by Valdeirus

Well we all know that POTC is well over 10 years old and that this theme would never pass the TLG standards today, but anyway a fun entry. I think that this build would benefit with going with the more modern style and use tan instead of yellow for the sand. The yellow minifigures on yellow plates do look a bit weird, that's why Islanders sets were all using green for the bases, which could also be an option here. Also in a real set there would be some kind of build to fit the fig to the pole instead of just using ropes. I know it's a tight call with the piece limit, but some details might be skipped if the fireplace is the main build. For example using a 6x8 plate instead of 2 4x8s. That would be about it for the set of this size. When it comes to toys, I take it more as funny than cruel, like in the good old cartoons, and this set sure has a plus for the fun factor!

Nice! Perhaps the funniest entry i've seen so far :) If only Lego would go for such sets, there's so much happening in here, tho i think You forgot about a another option - pirate and the lady could fall in love and cook that other islander ;)

Honestly tho, since i think most of us are looking for sets that could be actually released by Lego, i'd try to do some thinking how it could be transformed into something "doable", with those existing parts, or few replacements. I think even all that barbecue could be turned into a litter, for example, maybe those islanders aren't that bad, and he's their guest or even their master and they carry him around? Or if he is their guest maybe they could hae dinner together, like say during some peace talks... tho obviously that skull should be well hidden then, as se islanders surely woudln't like to bring their brutal part to their guest... or would they do that for purpose, to scare him into giving them a better deal? Perhaps all of this could be turned into a small prison? I mean, something that could pass in censors' eyes ;) 

On 8/10/2023 at 3:04 AM, Valdeirus said:

To make it look hybrid (new/old style) was my intention. I was also restricted by 50 pieces to make it a legit entry.
Rotating spit would be nice, but this one looks better. Campfire has many little pieces, so i couldn't add more. Also no more rocks because rules are rules (I deleted few parts for that).
BTW my first prototype included old palm tree. Even if I didn't build it for the conquest, and make it more new like build I would leave old palm tree because the technic parts ones are bad in my opinion.
Not always new parts and techniques look better - that's why I built it as it is, but with pieces restriction I couldn't make more.
I could delete one islander fig to save few pieces, but I wanted them to be able to carry the spit, and I think I wouldn't decide which islander fig to leave - I like'em both.

Aye, I agree it's very hard to make a set with only 50 pieces but I still think you should go either a new or old look :)

Edited by Rogue Redcoat

14 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Well we all know that POTC is well over 10 years old and that this theme would never pass the TLG standards today, but anyway a fun entry. I think that this build would benefit with going with the more modern style and use tan instead of yellow for the sand. The yellow minifigures on yellow plates do look a bit weird, that's why Islanders sets were all using green for the bases, which could also be an option here. Also in a real set there would be some kind of build to fit the fig to the pole instead of just using ropes. I know it's a tight call with the piece limit, but some details might be skipped if the fireplace is the main build. For example using a 6x8 plate instead of 2 4x8s. That would be about it for the set of this size. When it comes to toys, I take it more as funny than cruel, like in the good old cartoons, and this set sure has a plus for the fun factor!

6264 used yellow plates for sand ;) I know what you mean, but there are places in the world where sand is yellow. And actually most of the sand is similar in colour with white people.
But of course you may like the tan colour. Actually I could use even black colour - there are black beaches all around the world.

7 hours ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

Aye, I agree it's very hard to make a set with only 50 pieces but I still think yu should go either a new or old look :)

I like to play out of box ;)
If I like both styles why not play both?
But of course I understand your point.
However, some old sets are under rated nowadays, me think...

Edited by Valdeirus

12 hours ago, Valdeirus said:

6264 used yellow plates for sand ;) I know what you mean, but there are places in the world where sand is yellow. And actually most of the sand is similar in colour with white people.
But of course you may like the tan colour. Actually I could use even black colour - there are black beaches all around the world.

Yes of course you had to find the one set, that is an exception to what I wrote! (: Well yes I guess the plate could be almost any color when it comes to realism, but you're trying to create a toy here and the contrasts and visual appeal is more important than realism. I was just saying it would look better in my eyes.

12 hours ago, Valdeirus said:

If I like both styles why not play both?

Both styles are ok, but maybe they just don't work well together. As with the minifigures: the old female torso is just detailed enough to pass, but the legs don't match the newer version with the black borders. Or if I poke a little, why not throw in an older head with just black dots to mix in a bit more of the old style? (:

It's just suggestions, everyone does as he pleases, but if many people have the same suggestion and if you want to receive some votes maybe it'd be smart to think about it.

On 8/10/2023 at 3:04 AM, Valdeirus said:

Keep both for sure, they are great figures and add a lot of life to the set.

The cannibalism thing is my main complaint here, POTC notwithstanding, classic pirates would not have had a set like this.  But, it's wonderfully designed and quite a lot of macabre fun, so I'll play along with it.  One problem is that you're mixing eras, the faces are modern (which is fine) but the sand is yellow like the 90s sand was.  That would be fine on its own, but they clash with each other.  Grab an 8x8 tan plate, and you've just saved yourself a brick and fixed that.

I would swap out the 2x4 black plate for a 4x4 round plate in black to create a fire pit.  Or, just leave out the 2x4 plate altogether.  Use some technic bricks and make the rotisserie rotate, and you'd have a real treat of a set on your hands.

I really like the creativity here, the storytelling totally sells the set.  Really fantastic.