Sven J

[MOC] Hespertalbahn No. 8 (Krupp type "Knapsack" 0-6-0T) in 1/32 scale

Hi all,

Ten years ago, I built my first locomotive MOC (well, I presented it on EB in 2015, but it had actually been built 2 years earlier). So I thought that it would be a nice thing to celebrate this anniversary by building a new and improved model of the same prototype that I chose back then – but this time motorized, in correct dark green livery and in my usual 1/32 scale (the first try was a "normal" green, static display model in 1/30 scale).

Spoiler

Kind of bringing things full circle, I have to announce that, probably, this will also be my last 1/32 standard gauge locomotive. No, I’m not giving up the Lego hobby, but I’ll focus on smaller builds due to ever-increasing storage difficulties.

The prototype:
The "Knapsack" was a standardized light 0-6-0T as a part of the post-WWII product range of the Krupp locomotive factory. 15 locomotives were delivered to industrial companies in Germany and Turkey between 1949 and 1961.
800x414.jpg

The prototype of my model, c/n 3435, was delivered to the “Niederberg” colliery in the summer of 1961, making it the last engine of its type and also one of the last steam locomotives ever to be put into service in West Germany.
It operated at the colliery until 1976, after which it became a museum locomotive for the “Ruhrkohle AG”. Since 2000 it belongs to the “Hespertalbahn” museum railway as locomotive No. 8. It is currently undergoing a major revision and should be operational again soon.

The model:
As stated above, my model is held in exact 1/32 scale. It consists of almost 1,600 parts (of which about a dozen come from third-party suppliers because Lego does not produce them in dark green) and weighs just over 1 kg. It is propelled by a PF-L motor; a BuWizz 2.0 serves as power supply and remote control. Additional features include independently switchable front and rear lights and a wheel-synchronized sound module from Mobatron. The wheels are from Breckland Bricks, the rods are 3D-printed parts of my own design.

So here it is:

53085300794_66b408e04c_b_d.jpg

53089559838_53e8ddd490_b_d.jpg

53090844531_abddb2d016_z_d.jpg

53091039911_17f8ff75ba_z_d.jpg

53091256597_6e6c7bfc37_b_d.jpg

53091315274_1fa045dab7_b_d.jpg

Hauling my purpose-built passenger wagon:

53095406225_edd34c2917_b_d.jpg

53095209336_591c2dcffa_b_d.jpg

The roof is detachable to give access to the BuWizz:

53090106285_08ecef81c4_z_d.jpg

Some photos from the WiP stage, showing the frame, the cab interior, the technical layout and the underside with leaf springs, balancing levers and brake rigging:

52800845104_a277cbe64b_c_d.jpg

52800957439_3ae79311e1_c_d.jpg

52836248282_95451bec2a_c_d.jpg

52801154403_c6b5a98a6b_c_d.jpg

And finally two videos, one showing the rods in action and the other one a test drive (also from the WiP stage). Don't forget to turn on the volume. :wink:

A longer on-track video will follow as soon as possible. Full-resolution pictures can already be found in my Flickr album.

I hope that you like my little shunter. Comments and criticism or any other feedback are of course welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kind regards.
Sven

Edited by Sven J
restored image

I always like your simple locomotives :imperialguard_commander1:......nah ....Stellar as usual, Sven :pir-tongue:

Yeah, "simple" as in simply amazing. Always great to see your work.

1 hour ago, Sven J said:

but I’ll focus on smaller builds due to ever-increasing storage difficulties.

Always important to build to your interests (otherwise it stops being a hobby and starts being work). I for one hope you come back to the larger builds some day. If you need to thin the collection I'm sure your works will fetch a sufficient sum on the aftermarket to let you build bigger and better while knowing a given piece has gone to a good home.

Thank you for your appreciation, @Selander and @zephyr1934!

22 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Always important to build to your interests (otherwise it stops being a hobby and starts being work). [...] If you need to thin the collection I'm sure your works will fetch a sufficient sum on the aftermarket to let you build bigger and better while knowing a given piece has gone to a good home.

You're certainly right. But in fact I have so many interests that it should be possible to find enough stuff for small models. :wink:
And I definitely want to build one or two airplanes, which - big or small - can be hung under the ceiling, thus avoiding the need for more shelf space... :laugh:

I could spend hours looking at your models! And here I was thinking that your original engine was already perfect, it's great to see a new and improved (and running!) version.

As usual you have been able to improve something already perfect..

Just a question, how are the 3D printed Breckland Bricks wheels in front of the moulded BBB?

gruss

Sergio

Thank you all for your enthusiastic feedback! I'm very happy that you like my loco, despite it being such an unspectacular little workhorse.

8 hours ago, monai said:

Just a question, how are the 3D printed Breckland Bricks wheels in front of the moulded BBB?

Smaller. :wink:
Seriously: The reason why I chose the Breckland wheels is that the prototype has 1.100 mm wheel diameter, which translates to 34.4 mm in 1/32. Now BBB has no appropriate wheel size, while Breckland's LL wheels are 33.6 mm in diameter, which is close enough.
I'm quite happy with them. The surface is nice and smooth, of course not as perfect as injection-moulded parts, but very, very close. Axle and pin holes fit perfectly.
The only slight drawback is the colour, which is more like what Bricklink calls "rust" instead of true Lego red (hard to tell in the photos which were taken under artificial illumination, more clearly visible in direct sunlight). But as the wheels are partly shaded by other parts of the running gear, it really doesn't matter much.

Edited by Sven J

Hello Sven,

I could say "one shot one kill" ... you never deviate from your sublime standards! :wub:

I like this locomotive almost more than the others because it has something versatile, well proportioned and without frills

The picture I like the most is this:

On 8/5/2023 at 6:20 PM, Sven J said:

53095406225_5577c718e9_b_d.jpg

@LEGO Train 12 Volts Thank you for your appreciation!
I'm also very fond of the prototype with its straightforward, practical design; more "organic" than, let's say, a BR 80 which tends to look overladen with lots of technical greebling - much of which was not really necessary, or even troublesome, in everyday duty.
Not without a reason, one of the nicknames of the BR 80 (and other small "Reichsbahn" tank engines) was "Christbaum", that is "Christmas tree"... :laugh:

8 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The picture I like the most is this: 

It wasn't too easy to take it - locomotive, wagon and rails don't fit diagonally on my desk... so parts of the track and the white background paper had to hang over.
Personally, I like the picture with the taxi even more.