Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2024

3 hours ago, Lion King said:

Is that so? 

I know for fact that previews years before this August released date started for LEGO , Walmart and target who are the largest retailers in the US requested not to be stock during the summer and prepare for holidays season around august . 

Edited by danimarroquin

On 2/28/2024 at 9:45 PM, danimarroquin said:

I know for fact that previews years before this August released date started for LEGO , Walmart and target who are the largest retailers in the US requested not to be stock during the summer and prepare for holidays season around august . 

Is it only the theme (City)’s summer wave  tht was released in June in Europe and in August in USA?

Posted (edited)

Pictures of the Space Science Lab are officially out and I love it! It’s like a terrarium! It’s gorgeous! And they’ve finally, on their third try, done a building with two airlocks, so that we can actually attach it to the City and Friends bases as an expansion! Definitely getting this!
https://lego.bricksmegastore.com/products/lego-city-space-science-lab?utm_source=Klaviyo&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_campaign=NEW VIP PRE-ORDER SETS <AU>02.03.24 (01HQW31M2EC2NRTSZN2G0YG8F3)&amp;_kx=0N9rxmExFA0eGmVsA3dCJEJkGcskkYCwbpM4kppZlrDxfItMLcV2GwwXtNcro4Ao.UYvNsm

There is a little alien who’s been recruited and given his own little space suit, it’s adorable! And a disabled spaceman with a hover bike that’s built to accomodate his wheelchair? Weird but interesting!

Edited by Fenghuang0296

5 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Pictures of the Space Science Lab are officially out and I love it! It’s like a terrarium! It’s gorgeous! And they’ve finally, on their third try, done a building with two airlocks, so that we can actually attach it to the City and Friends bases as an expansion! Definitely getting this!
https://lego.bricksmegastore.com/products/lego-city-space-science-lab?utm_source=Klaviyo&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_campaign=NEW VIP PRE-ORDER SETS <AU>02.03.24 (01HQW31M2EC2NRTSZN2G0YG8F3)&amp;_kx=0N9rxmExFA0eGmVsA3dCJEJkGcskkYCwbpM4kppZlrDxfItMLcV2GwwXtNcro4Ao.UYvNsm

There is a little alien who’s been recruited and given his own little space suit, it’s adorable! And a disabled spaceman with a hover bike that’s built to accomodate his wheelchair? Weird but interesting!

Yeah! I saw pictures of that set and to be honest, I'm actually impressed. I think I may actually buy that one and use it as a regular science lab in my town instead of it being space oriented. 

1 hour ago, The Brick Boss said:

Yeah! I saw pictures of that set and to be honest, I'm actually impressed. I think I may actually buy that one and use it as a regular science lab in my town instead of it being space oriented. 

Yeah a cheaper set with 4 parts to make a full dome certainly can make a lot for earth-based City as well, like a rooftop lab / planetarium / observatory / greenhouse or perhaps part of a larger structure , even if the color ends up trans-black, that color goes well in modern City buildings as well.

For 35€ it's a set that is worth every penny

Good looking 

Usable even in a earth city 

Right price

Affordable 

On 2/28/2024 at 2:01 PM, The Brick Boss said:

Why isn't that a thing in Europe tho? That would make sense in any country that celebrates the holidays. 

In Spain is the opposite 

Retailers would wish summer sets to be released at October because August is a lost month, September is the hangover of summer holidays that add the expenses of back to school 

Due to it October is the first month that people have money in their pockets 

Great set! Seems the green aliens are more sentient than floating blobs of smiling jelly. But why do they all of a sudden need a space suit to live on their own planet? Or are the astronauts rescuing them and preparing to leave the planet before it's falling apart?

Sorry! Late to the party! 

Just seen the new laboratory, got to say it's a pretty neat set, a 560 piece set for 35€:pir-love:

Like the idea of connecting the lab to the main base. 

Even while separated from the other set or in a city layout, it still looks good! 

Wallet ready:pir-thumb:

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

Great set! Seems the green aliens are more sentient than floating blobs of smiling jelly. But why do they all of a sudden need a space suit to live on their own planet? Or are the astronauts rescuing them and preparing to leave the planet before it's falling apart?

Well I would guess it doesn´t need the suit to live on the planet but to survive in the lab, as you would expect that base to have an enviroment suitable to humans, especially with that lab beeing a part of a bigger base.

1 hour ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Sorry! Late to the party! 

Just seen the new laboratory, got to say it's a pretty neat set, a 560 piece set for 35€:pir-love:

Yeah especially with it having some large pieces like the ones used for the dome. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, El Garfio said:

In Spain is the opposite 

Retailers would wish summer sets to be released at October because August is a lost month, September is the hangover of summer holidays that add the expenses of back to school 

Due to it October is the first month that people have money in their pockets 

But there are also countries in Europe where there's something called Holiday Pay , where people get like % (seems to be about 8-12%) of their yearly salary around the end of May.

And then some other European countries also pay out part, or all of their "13th month" salary in summer.

So June-August, and November-January seem to be the "seasons" many people in the world get some sort of payouts, which matches part of LEGO's release schedules.

Of course there are sets all throughout the year now to spread things out a bit, releasing 50% of all yearly sets at once would certainly cause less attention to product, and oversaturates shops with new product rotations.

I remember December used to be the biggest month for toy promotions back in the day (let's say 80s and 90s), due to St. Nicholas, at least in my country,  that was the time where paper catalogs would be sent out by Toy Shops, now things are far more focused on a whole "season" from Black Friday, Christmas,  to New Year's "End of Season" sales.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

But there are also countries in Europe where there's something called Holiday Pay , where people get like % (seems to be about 8-12%) of their yearly salary around the end of May.

And then some other European countries also pay out part, or all of their "13th month" salary in summer.

So June-August, and November-January seem to be the "seasons" many people in the world get some sort of payouts, which matches part of LEGO's release schedules.

Is this really a thing that this is done in some countrys? I mean, it is done in Germany, but really mainly from bigger companys and not as a rule in the country. So there are some benefiting from this and since bigger companys usually have quite some employees, that number certainly isn´t that low. But there are also many that work in little private companys such as handyman that don´t get those benefits. And especially with the 13th month salary, even in bigger companys that isn´t that common here. Of course can be different in other countrys.

Finally the friendly aliens have some hands to work and play with the astronauts together. Love it, shame it's just one! The base is really great, is it a Lego exclusive?

4 hours ago, R0Sch said:

I would imagine aliens wearing spacesuit in order to stay alive righ isnide the science lab while humans’ suits are not used. Environment in lab is not enough suitable for aliens so humans are enough kind to give them thier speical suits. All in harmony.

Posted (edited)

I see the lab in the top of a modular transformed into a smoothie bar

Edited by El Garfio

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Is this really a thing that this is done in some countrys? I mean, it is done in Germany, but really mainly from bigger companys and not as a rule in the country. So there are some benefiting from this and since bigger companys usually have quite some employees, that number certainly isn´t that low. But there are also many that work in little private companys such as handyman that don´t get those benefits. And especially with the 13th month salary, even in bigger companys that isn´t that common here. Of course can be different in other countrys.

It's a thing, but I don't think it's decisive enough for LEGO to adjust it's production to it, it's rather that the North American release dates are in fact different with August, while June is pretty much the rest of the world as far as I can see.

Holiday pay is indeed something quite limited to only a few (North/Western) European countries however rather then the norm. 13th month does happen a lot more worldwide.

That said, I looked at paper catalogues, and sets did release spread across the year even back in the 80s and 90s already, with a total number of sets far lower then now, of course I can't look through every EU and US catalog to compare, but I'm sure some differences in release months will exist over the decades, smaller catalogs weren't so detailed and would just show a star or LEGO brick next to the set number , instead of giving specific months, and honestly I don't think most customers back then really followed LEGO so actively as how it's possible now with the internet.

US does have those shop at home catalogs for a long time, which was not a thing in Europe, before the internet I think you could phone or mail order SERVICE packs but that's about it.

I have received a paper catalog once per physical mail, I think it was January 2021, but perhaps that was a thing because of COVID, they sent them to people who were registered VIP at LEGO.com already.

Anyway, back to the subject of actual City, Looking forward to see how the lab will look like in actual form, probably a lot darker with trans-black windows.

I think the use of an alien rock pillar with crystals and "plant" life is very clever too, since it helps finishing the closed-dome look.

Along with the purple windows seen in Friends, I wonder how much of the LEGO Movie 2 concepts went into this (and also the color of the darkblue+magenta Ninjago trees in the newer sets), really does remind me a bit of the Plantimal world.

Edited by TeriXeri

I still don’t get it why City’s summer waves have to be released in Europe in June while other themes are scheduled to be released worthwide at same time. Unless I’m wrong… 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lion King said:

I still don’t get it why City’s summer waves have to be released in Europe in June while other themes are scheduled to be released worthwide at same time. Unless I’m wrong… 

It happened both ways, for many themes.

Brickset had an article about it back in 2020

https://brickset.com/article/51698/release-dates-does-north-america-get-a-raw-deal

Also in the same article, 2 interesting filters (time period 2011-2023)

Seems 2011-2013 had far more USA first releases, but after that it shifted toward more Europe releases, also not sure what exact calculation they used, but as the article was made in 2020, and uses 2018 as the main example, I think later years are less accurate.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/19/2023 at 1:56 AM, FinlayTheFaithful said:

Honestly pretty surprising TLG hasn't made one yet, I'm tired of using my husky pack as a stand in for some arctic wolves

a kind of wolf was seen in Harry Potter series some 10 years ago.

Agree about the alien needing a space suit to be inside the lab.

I wish the alien helmet could have been another color, like teal or a neon color

I really do like the science lab with trans black dome.

On 2/10/2024 at 3:14 AM, Izzynufc-2 said:

Seen in the recent magazine a mobile crane, could it be the one that we get in summer?

What magazine? If a Lego City Magazine, what issue? Or do you have a pic of it?

There appears to be an interesting piece of lore on one of the screens in the science lab (the one above the bed) - It seems to be a TV with a soccer player on it, but the player in-question is a Minidoll rather than a Minifig! We have gotten LEGO City/Heartlake City references in Friends and City respectively, but this is the first indication (that I have seen, at least) that 'figs and 'dolls actually coexist within the same world (as opposed to there being unseen Minidoll City and Minifig Friends themes). 

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

There appears to be an interesting piece of lore on one of the screens in the science lab (the one above the bed) - It seems to be a TV with a soccer player on it, but the player in-question is a Minidoll rather than a Minifig! We have gotten LEGO City/Heartlake City references in Friends and City respectively, but this is the first indication (that I have seen, at least) that 'figs and 'dolls actually coexist within the same world (as opposed to there being unseen Minidoll City and Minifig Friends themes). 

Doesn't look like a minidoll , the legs are square.

60439_alt4.jpg

19 hours ago, DanOfBricks said:

What magazine? If a Lego City Magazine, what issue? Or do you have a pic of it?

Issue 72

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Doesn't look like a minidoll , the legs are square.

Ah, I was looking at the small, blurry, image on the back of the box. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman