Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2024

Well, I have weird feelings about new sets. In my eyes they look all too much "futuristic". Also I kinda dont like the amout of black color used. At least i wont spend that much many on them :pir_laugh2:

Personally like only: - steamroller (because of that we dont have construction subtheme, so everything is better then nothing)

- Prison Island, because its something not ususal in city and like depth of small scenes inside building

- Burger Van, because its just awesome, one of the best food trucks done. Like the addition to put superstructure "out of car" and make stand from it

- 4x4 fire truck with boat, because it looks like car which i can meet nowdays.

Rest are for me with mixed feelings. :wacko:

Trying to assimilate the new releases

Trying to make me understand that city is a line for kids

Maybe when I seen the sets on shelves I will see them with other eyes

Am I, or I'm feeling like lego trying to replicate some hot wheels "fantasia" cars 

Just saw all of the images My opinion:

-Fire Dept: Like the colours of the new lineup, the headquarters looks so much different than the previous stations; 2 Garages but one Truck included doesn't matter to me, the garage doors look nice :) really like the plane and boat transporter, the rest I don't like.

-Police:Really surprised me. Looks like it's turned into a more action subtheme, nice colours, Prison Island seems ok (hope the real thing is better when i get my hands on the set), love the Lab Truck, Chase Set has nice colours. NEW HIDEOUT :D (a bit small sadly :/ ) 

-Space-Weirdest Wave I've see so far. The big sets look the nicest, the way they design these to not be so realistic is nice for a change, great details and new parts. 

-Great Vehicles-Love the fact the burger truck can remove the back compartment so it can turn into a stall. Car Transporter looks so good. Karts set seems cute. Best Monster Truck great vehicle finally released, rest is ok. 

The prison island could be an item of my wishlist but depends on the price 

But surely that in a clearance with 40 or 50% off I will buy it

my opinion about every lego subtheme

fire: i would buy station, plane and bot transporter

police: i love all of.them

space: i will buy only 60434

GW: 4+ sets sucks, but other is great

Finally the long wait for official images is over but it's a disappointing start for me so far. City has become so... dark suddenly, so many black or dark blue pieces and the glaring neon yellow only emphasizes this impression.

Police: the box art looks very sinister, rainy weather with lighting. Certainly looks cool but the colors on the vehicles are not to my taste. Prison island is the only interesting set. A harbor subtheme in summer would go well this police wave for sure.

Fire: station looks very "megablocky" / too massive and I sure miss the usual garage doors but a non traditional shape is refreshing. Too many black pieces. The small helicopter looks great.

Vehicles: Mostly odd or very dark colors again. Good to see at least one construction set - though it's still not a cement mixer (!) I'll only buy the sailing boat.

Space: I was really hoping for more interesting aliens; after all intelligent alien life forms are more probable than crooks disguising themselves as ice-cones... The space base is unfortunately the weakest set, it's so bland it doesn't fit the other futuristic sets in the wave. Maybe the back of the box will change my mind. The interstellar spaceship is my favorite.

Thanks for all the pictures LCP!

Edited by brimbolet

The vehicles look fantastic. The space sets just look unrealistic and I don't see myself getting any of them.

60419-1.jpg?202309260228

Printed corner walls?

The police from the chase boat? Is it only a head? a "half minifigure" like racers one? 

4297-1.jpg?200210110420

Are the rhombus grille "windows" new?

Edited by El Garfio

10 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

2 Garages but one Truck included doesn't matter to me, the garage doors look nice :) 

It makes sense in the context of the overall wave; there are two trucks, so we get an extra bay in the station - I like that (as most prior two-bay fire stations have had two vehicles, meaning that the other vehicles in the wave have to be parked outside). 

The fire sets are very consistent with those of the past few years (colour-scheme, logo, uniform), and I like the new uniform variants that we get (harness, tank top, unzipped jacket); overall very solid additions, even if I decide to pass on the fire station (I like it, but I also have the last one; maybe I can combine them?). 

The police sets are interesting and feel like the return of World City (crime lab truck in particular!); I am curious to see if the new uniforms, badge, and colour-scheme are here to stay, or just for this wave. The new colours look good, and neon yellow works better opposite dark blue than it does the regular blue of past waves. The prison island is probably a pass for me (through well-designed), and the crooks’ hideout feels sparse; I do really like the chase and crime lab truck, though, and will probably be picking those two up.

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

The rescue helicopter is a good addition to the last few years of medical sets, and I like to see the subtheme continuing (also, new printed legs for the medics!). Also, the design seems to be a direct reference to the World City police helicopter. 

The rest of the sets (burger truck, race car transporter, etc) are quite good as well, and I particularly like that City is continuing to use bright and unconventional colours (compared with pre-2022 sets). 

2 hours ago, El Garfio said:

Are the rhombus grille "windows" new?

Yes - They seem to be representing chainlink fencing. 

Never been a big fan of the January city wave, as usually largely police and fire sets. Summer is when we tend to get all the good stuff. Works out well financially though with the museum, orient express and family reunion all released in the winter. I do like those mesh fence pieces though.

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The rescue helicopter is a good addition to the last few years of medical sets, and I like to see the subtheme continuing (also, new printed legs for the medics!). Also, the design seems to be a direct reference to the World City police helicopter. 

To me, the design is a direct reference to the Eurocopter EC-135 (minus doors) , I see those fly around a lot here, as both Police and Medical versions.

Operated in 60 countries, 50% of which are medical helicopters.

800px-Eurcopter_EC135_orthographical_image.svg.png

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm not posting about the City Space sets here, only the other ones - 

The 4+ race car is surprisingly good. I wanted to get the previous 4+ race car but it was a low priority, so I didn't. This one is better than that one. Maybe buy.

The go-karts are a good little set for the price point but not that interesting to me. Pass.

The construction steamroller is a very good set for the price point, but I'm not that into construction equipment. Pass.

The monster truck is a surprisingly good little set and probably at a decent price point, considering the price of the wheels. I might buy this, but I might just go back and get the 2018 monster truck instead. Maybe buy, maybe pass.

The 4+ emergency ambulance is alright. Pass.

The burger van is a fun and funky little build and I think it's smart that the burger kitchen can be separated and played with as a standalone burger shack. Pass.

The emergency rescue helicopter is very good. It's one of the most realistic helicopter shapes Lego has done in years, it has a nice hi-vis color scheme, and the windscreen is a new mold that I want to get my hands on. Maybe buy.

The race car and car carrier truck is very good at being what it wants to be, but that's not my style. Pass.

The 4+ fire rescue motorcycle looks like a good size for the price. Pass.

The fire rescue helicopter is a simple vanilla little helicopter with nothing special to make it unique. Pass.

The 4x4 fire engine with rescue boat is an excellent example of the 4x4 + trailer + payload set type. I want it. Buy.

The fire rescue plane is a perfectly passable, generic City plane. Pass.

The box art of the fire station with fire engine makes the fire engine look so small! But it isn't, really. It's no smaller than any other fire engine of the past several years. Why does it look so large? Is that because of the hulking massive architecture of the station? Is it because the heavy use of black and trans dark blue in this year's fire sets makes them look smaller than they are, rather than larger? I really like the brick-built numbering on the bay doors, but overall I don't like the set, and I don't have any other fire engines or fire stations to pair it with. Pass.

The police car and muscle chase is fresh and unusual, with its crocodile car and sci-fi police car, but I don't feel the need to add that to my collection of 6w police cars. Pass.

The black and dark blue colors and 8w, faceted shape of the police mobile crime lab truck make me think City is going back to the dreary, depressing, dangerous days of the turn of the century. The social order of Lego Town collapsed in the dot-com bust and after 9/11, leading to the grimdark years of World City and early City. It took Lego City years to lift itself up out of that hellscape and convert its high crime rate into a respectable game of cops and robbers that could be enjoyed as entertainment by any ordinary citizen. Why are those dark days returning? Why? Why? Why? - - - The set itself looks like a nice complex, feature-rich, detailed build, but it doesn't interest me. Pass.

Prison island - don't really like the colors or the rigid inflatable hull boat, but the lower level underneath the jail and the exercise yard is nice. Pass.

Alright, ive had a day to look through the images and get my thoughts together. Lets start off with the big one - space.

Feeling much the way @DuckBricks has been feeling, space has been sorely lacking in lego, especcily the Sci-fi aspects. This wave, is damn near perfect. I am in love with every set. 

Space mech - cheap £9 set, perfect figure, absolutely outstanding mech build, great parts. A very strong start. Ive even built my own version of it, with some heavy modifications. Colour swap, another hand, bulkier cockpit, that sort of stuff. Having it somewhat in hand, it is definitely worth it. 

Interstellar spaceship - Also a perfect set (depending on price), lots of cool printed parts, and @icm was right, it is the lightyear windshield, good spot! Really digging the sleekness of the build, and an amazing engine mechanism to open the main thrusters, thats very nice. If its £20, I'll buy. 

4+ set - Its a 4 plus set, not much to say. cool prints and parts but nothing more. 

Space rover - The one ive been waiting for. Looks just as good in HD, although I wish it had a 6 stud wide interior instead of 4 studs. Love its futuristic look and suspension, a day 1 buy. 

Command rover - Bigger, but not as cool. Unfortunately we dont have any other pictures apart from the main one, so I cant see any big features. Im hoping it splits apart or something. I can confidently say though that I think the central section will be removable by crane and be able to link up with the other modules. Depending on the price, it could be very good. I like the idea of it though. 

Space station - Oh boy, this one.... I have a love hate relationship with. On one hand, it's a very very cool spacecraft, reminds me of the Endurance from interstellar (2014). I like the colours and the builds are cool. Also it can turn into the truck from subnautica apparently, love that feature and makes way more sense in space. Lots of figures and fun things. However, in my mind this looks like a gravity ring based craft, spinning and generating gravity through centrifugal force. Which would mean the nice vegetable patch they have under the dome is growing upside down. But who knows, maybe it's futuristic vegetables? I really hope the price isn't awful on this one. 

Space base - really like the lower portion of it. Cool sliding door, and the little rover buggy thing is also neat. I do like the chunky space craft and launch pad, and the crane system is pretty cool. Love the control tower. I guess I should talk about the figs too, I like all of the suits, but I wish there was a red one. Really did the space admiral. But I do feel like it's trying to do too much as a set. I agree with duck bricks, it should have picked a topic and stuck with it.

Overall, love them all. They all look great and im so happy to see some more futuristic builds in lego. I do agree with general consensus that these should have been their own theme though. I absolutely adore the modularity between different THEMES, not just sub themes. Very interested to see how they join up to the friends and technic sets (Sidenote, that VTOL is absolutely stunning!)

Wasn't planning to talk about the rest of city but wow, it's actually not bad. I like the black and (insert generic colour) combo that most sets rock, and the builds themselves feel futuristic, which I like. That fire station is amazing, reminding me of old Tomy tomica toys from Japan. I like the firetruck/missile launcher (!?!?!?) and the other fire sets are cool. Gun turret on a water bomber? Hell yes! Off road fire truck is also super interesting, I like the build. Police is a mixed bag, the murder mobile lab looks really slick but the prison island feels very plain in comparison, and the car chase is definitely unique (vehicle wise). Again, the police car reminding me of old tomica toys, and the lime cars a little too flashy for my taste. Med helicopter is cool, I agree it does look like an EC-135, but other than that not much to note. The great vehicles haven't really interested me. Overall I can understand that some people dont like the futuristic turn city has taken, however I think it's a nice fresh coat of paint over the same generic stuff we get every few years. I recently picked up the fire mobile command rig and the little fire station from 2019, both feel really just dull and lacking in imagination. It's clear this time though that there is certainly some new designers on the city table, and they are knocking it out of the park. And im sure we will get regular old city sets in a few years, so dont worry if its not your taste. 

60417 Crook hideout comes with a new dog, just noticed via this clearer brickmerge image

LEGO_60417.jpg

Pretty cool representation of a hideout in shipping containers too for a smallish set.

Also can be seperated with technic pin connectors on the dock and teal containers.

Money can be hidden under the dock as well.

Price / value seems just fine, for 3 figures, 2 vehicles, 1 animal, and still has some large panels and chainlink fence piece.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

60417 Crook hideout comes with a new dog, just noticed via this clearer brickmerge image

LEGO_60417.jpg

Pretty cool representation of a hideout in shipping containers too for a smallish set.

Woah, hadn't seen this. Looks alright actually. 

56 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

To me, the design is a direct reference to the Eurocopter EC-135 (minus doors) 

I was referring to the parts used (canopy, fan for tail rotor, Technic parts for skids), though the EC-135 may have been an influence on the World City police helicopter as well. 

I'm only getting four sets from the winter wave and that's the go karts, burger truck, road roller and prison island. Maybe the sailboat. 

Edited by The Brick Boss

Looking at more detailed pictures, it looks like the Prison Island can be seperated into at least 2 sections as there's a visible "seam" on the back side, but also at the 2 slopes and sandgreen part at the dock at the other side.

The fire station certainly has the biggest interior since a while, 2 garages,  and what looks like at least 16x32 + overhanging office, and the sliding garage doors remind of the cargo door from the Icons galaxy explorer remake , instead of being hinged.

I wonder if Garage 1 and 2 can be seperated into 2 buildings, as it seems only connected by a few plates or tiles.

Edited by TeriXeri

10 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

LEGO_60417.jpg

Also can be seperated with technic pin connectors on the dock and teal containers.

Money can be hidden under the dock as well.

Price / value seems just fine, for 3 figures, 2 vehicles, 1 animal, and still has some large panels and chainlink fence piece.

I have the previous one 60131

I don't see anything to make me also buy the 2024 version 

6 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Looking at more detailed pictures, it looks like the Prison Island can be seperated into at least 2 sections as there's a visible "seam" on the back side, but also at the 2 slopes and sandgreen part at the dock at the other side.

The fire station certainly has the biggest interior since a while, 2 garages,  and what looks like at least 16x32 + overhanging office, and the sliding garage doors remind of the cargo door from the Icons galaxy explorer remake , instead of being hinged.

I wonder if Garage 1 and 2 can be seperated into 2 buildings, as it seems only connected by a few plates or tiles.

I want to see the parts used for the door to make my own creation loading dock 

Edited by El Garfio

There’s actually some really cool minifigs in both the police and fire sets. I really like the variant Duke Detain, the CSI and the fire woman without the full uniform in the tank top.

Edit: also is that lattice a new bit or is it some of the old fences turned on their side?

Edit 2: there’s actually some really useful looking stickers or printed pieces in some of these sets. Hopefully they’re printed pieces and find their way to PAB online.

Edited by Pirate_King_1982