nerdsforprez

42146 - Liebherr LR 13000 MODs and Improvements

On 12/21/2023 at 8:23 PM, R0Sch said:

Thanks to the immense help from @Timorzelorzworz and @C3technic, I was finally able to do some digital tinkering on this stubble crane.
Here's a size comparison between the extended version by 10 truss-modules (inspired by @Lego Tom) and the original crane. The difference is day and night in regards to looks. In shown position the dimensions are height 1.7m vs. 1m. and width 1.6m vs. 1.2m.
42146_extended_vs_original.png

My tiny opinion or unasked sugggestion is to create an additional outer counterweight like it is in the most real cranes. And maybe shorten a bit the superctructure couterweight to get in scale :)

thats my plan, with automatic selfbalancing :) I wanna finish first the original's programming then comes the new desing. Im trying to relay only on two sets, max 5-10 other parts only. Will share the design and progress, hopefully as MOC

On 1/7/2024 at 5:12 PM, allanp said:

Nice MODs, though the original instructions shows 4M axles being used.

indeed, I messed it up. But I assembled it without any problem so I dont knwo where I used the longer ones :D

I just obtained the set today and first I'm going to build to the instructions, but then I'd be interested in doing some modifications.

First and most obvious thing to do is of course extending the booms and increasing counterweight to balance it properly (probably with some non-Lego weights).

Also, as there's unused motor slot in the hub of the superstructure I'd be curious to replicate the Liebherr V-frame using it and some linear actuators, which would allow repositioning of the ballast on the fly. It would be interesting to have the crane balance automatically by adjusting the ballast depending on the load. Thoughts?

Here's some more info on the system: https://www.liebherr.com/en/int/products/mobile-and-crawler-cranes/customer-magazine/all-about-cranes/v-frame.html

5 hours ago, howitzer said:

Also, as there's unused motor slot in the hub of the superstructure I'd be curious to replicate the Liebherr V-frame using it and some linear actuators, which would allow repositioning of the ballast on the fly. It would be interesting to have the crane balance automatically by adjusting the ballast depending on the load. Thoughts?

In theory this would be easy to do using just the tilt of the superstructure but I'm not sure the hubs have enough angle precision to make it work well.  You could also do it with something like the load sensor mechanism the model already has which may work better.  I don't think the V frame is actually available for the LR13000 if you're going for realism but it will look cool and be fun to build so go for it and show us photos :pir-huzzah2:  I was actually thinking of building an LR11000 as a future project mainly to do the V frame.

6 hours ago, mdemerchant said:

In theory this would be easy to do using just the tilt of the superstructure but I'm not sure the hubs have enough angle precision to make it work well.  You could also do it with something like the load sensor mechanism the model already has which may work better.  I don't think the V frame is actually available for the LR13000 if you're going for realism but it will look cool and be fun to build so go for it and show us photos :pir-huzzah2:  I was actually thinking of building an LR11000 as a future project mainly to do the V frame.

Yeah, I guess the best bet would be to use the load sensor in the original model, though I'd have to find out how exactly it works.

I'm not really going for realism, so the exact model designation isn't that important for me. I don't think I'd be able to replicate either model accurately enough anyway to really distinguish them.

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

Yeah, I guess the best bet would be to use the load sensor in the original model, though I'd have to find out how exactly it works.

It's also just using the tilt reading from the hub but the linkage makes the hub tilt more than the rest of the superstructure does.  The control may be slightly more complicated/less good with the load sensor because you can't just control it to have zero tilt.  You probably need to have just open loop control based on the sensor reading and some math.  But if you just put the hub in the superstructure and use tilt I'd be worried about it having very little precision and the counterweight position constantly hunting all over the place.  I guess you can put some coding in the control loop to minimize that.

I am also interested in the possibility of using the V frame, for either the LR13000 or 11000.  Yes, keep us posted of your progress.  

Still nothing has been presented to me to warrant enough interest to justify the cost of this set.  But.... using the V frame system just might.... 

22 hours ago, R0Sch said:

@howitzer, @nerdsforprez Maybe you forgot about the mod posted a few pages back on the V frame?

Oh, I hadn't seen this either. Going to take a good look on @Marno's photos and think about making my own version later when I have finished building the original. Thanks for bringing it up @R0Sch!

Hi everyone. I just finished my version of LR13000. My goal was to have a working derrick boom with floating ballast. Total 10 motors, 3 hubs, both track has two drives, turntable motor is now belongs to the top structure.

I started with the fullest design but it was way too tall for my apartement (210cm). So I have reduced the jib by two elements and the main boom by one. Unfortunately the whole boom is light so having bigger spanner holder ?boom? or whatewere the name of what the cylinders hold is not possible in order to keep the boom's center of gravity in front of the superstructure connection.

What is more than two sets: few 2L nad 8L axles, few bushings and the four cylinder (there are two at the A frame of derrick boom tilt control)

Now comes the programing, two tilt sensor required for the derrick and main boom then the balancing is going to be automatic and will be playable (nut sure how much fun it will be as it is very sensitive and complex).

L3QLjzX.jpeg

le7DNJf.jpeg

Details - the cylinders are only for visuals.
kGCfbt8.jpeg

Here is the max size:

mP9EguA.jpeg

1RMR4aX.jpeg

1 hour ago, vanczakp said:

Hi everyone. I just finished my version of LR13000. My goal was to have a working derrick boom with floating ballast. Total 10 motors, 3 hubs, both track has two drives, turntable motor is now belongs to the top structure.

I started with the fullest design but it was way too tall for my apartement (210cm). So I have reduced the jib by two elements and the main boom by one. Unfortunately the whole boom is light so having bigger spanner holder ?boom? or whatewere the name of what the cylinders hold is not possible in order to keep the boom's center of gravity in front of the superstructure connection.

What is more than two sets: few 2L nad 8L axles, few bushings and the four cylinder (there are two at the A frame of derrick boom tilt control)

Now comes the programing, two tilt sensor required for the derrick and main boom then the balancing is going to be automatic and will be playable (nut sure how much fun it will be as it is very sensitive and complex).

L3QLjzX.jpeg

le7DNJf.jpeg

Details - the cylinders are only for visuals.
kGCfbt8.jpeg

Here is the max size:

mP9EguA.jpeg

1RMR4aX.jpeg

Interesting build! Thanks for posting.

Yeah the crane is definite in for improvements  , extending the main and luffer is not coming without new problems like ballast and sideway stability on the rig . the ballast is easy to be solved  but the tracks need to be wider apart  . My moc is standing on a bigger foot  45 wide centre measured and 60 from sprocket to centre sprocket . The track elements have a 1x8 techbeam  and that makes also a more stable centre ballast  . the (main) boom is 15x15 square and 90 studs long . Altough never to become ready , i'm now building and rebuilding the main boom foot  with 8x8 turntables as hinge  where first I was using axles as hinge...  I'm learning too from the LR 13K  . the drive of the slewring in my case is not two  but four drive-sprockets in the ring. this to minimize the pushoff effect . The lego slewring is not like in reality stable enough to drive with one sprocket.  my background is cranes so I can use a lot of reallife solutions out of experience   

20 hours ago, craneson said:

Yeah the crane is definite in for improvements  , extending the main and luffer is not coming without new problems like ballast and sideway stability on the rig . the ballast is easy to be solved  but the tracks need to be wider apart  . My moc is standing on a bigger foot  45 wide centre measured and 60 from sprocket to centre sprocket . The track elements have a 1x8 techbeam  and that makes also a more stable centre ballast  . the (main) boom is 15x15 square and 90 studs long . Altough never to become ready , i'm now building and rebuilding the main boom foot  with 8x8 turntables as hinge  where first I was using axles as hinge...  I'm learning too from the LR 13K  . the drive of the slewring in my case is not two  but four drive-sprockets in the ring. this to minimize the pushoff effect . The lego slewring is not like in reality stable enough to drive with one sprocket.  my background is cranes so I can use a lot of reallife solutions out of experience   

I'm not sure which would be better - to move the tracks out further, add another set to make them wider or maybe both? IIRC (too lazy to go look) the tracks on the D11 are wider so using those may help as well.

1 hour ago, Lego Tom said:

I'm not sure which would be better - to move the tracks out further, add another set to make them wider or maybe both? IIRC (too lazy to go look) the tracks on the D11 are wider so using those may help as well.

Yeah, they are 7L as opposed to 5L in the Liebherr. But they are also made of softer material which would bend under load and thus not provide the sideways stability desired from wider tracks.

Posted (edited)

but you have to make the tracks not only individualy wider , but also more apart from eachother .  and unlike the 90 kg baslan crane , one of my rules is to stay light

Edited by craneson