RedBrick1

LEGO #21344 - Orient Express

7 hours ago, lego3057 said:

Hello

I think the cars are quite proportional (except for the lengh of course). The width was around 2,800 meters, so the problem is they are actually 9wide (if 8wide=3 meters). It´s because of  that they look very well with the krocodile witch was 9 wide in lenght.

I think the coaches should be 1 plate lower (the bottom blue part). Right now that windows are a plate higher than the doors are,, so this should improve the looks a lot.

17 hours ago, ElGreco said:

Hi there! @ToledoRails

Kindly allow me to point a possible minor mistake in your list of parts… Instead of 8654 (which I cannot find in bricklink) I think it should write 18654. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for both answers. @something_fabulous
I will stick wit the L motor concept and time permitting will try all solutions found in this forum for OE motorization.

Regarding the hub batteries I have watched many YT videos about it and ended up that LIPO ZNTER 9V are a good solution but are not readily available n EU.(BUWIZZ is far better but at a really high cost and I need 6!)

You're right, but you figured out what I meant so it all works out.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:11 PM, Ferro-Friki said:

Some people were suggesting replacing the OE engine with the EN one, and in that way combine the strengths of both sets. I thought that sounded very intriguing, but I haven’t found anyone who has done so yet.

Anyway, here’s a render of how that would look like:

53371445415_91d83268d5_k.jpg

Honestly, I like it! As someone who missed the EN (classic statement) I thought I just had to wait until Lego released an even better steam engine. Unfortunately, in my opinion, that hasn’t happened in 14 years, and counting… So I think it’s about time for me to get my own EN, and thanks to the OE set, the new tender and coaches look wonderful behind the loco!

Since we’re at it, I’m pretty sure there were people selling third party sticker sheets for the EN, is that still the case? Does anyone know where I can get one?

It's weirdly scale for British vs Continental loading gauge! 

2 hours ago, SerperiorBricks said:

For those looking to use the EN with the OE, I can't recommend enough to convert the EN over to XL Drivers

That would definitely help with the relative height between the engine and cars.

Has anyone managed to get a scan of the decal sheets yet? I’d love to make up all the parts in Studio, I believe I’ve figured out a way to have make stickers in the program

1 hour ago, Train of Thought Creations said:

All aboard! Here's the tutorial article for my modification. If you have any questions, let me know!
https://brickset.com/article/102806/motorising-the-orient-express

Looking awesome, thanks for the instructions! Have you tried running the whole train with this motorization? How does it do on R40 curves?

1 minute ago, and_ampersand_and said:

Looking awesome, thanks for the instructions! Have you tried running the whole train with this motorization? How does it do on R40 curves?

Yep! I made sure to run it before sharing the tutorial. The coaches are lighter than the test ones I used with the "Rainbow/Harlequin Express" so it runs great on R40 (I only have official track at the moment). I plan to make a quick YouTube video of it running tonight. It moves at the same speed seen in @kbalage's video.

9 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

@Train of Thought Creations I used a similar MOD with L motor in the engine boiler, and It can reliably pull 4 coaches (w/ all plastic wheelsets!)

Sounds awesome! Sadly your picture didn't load on my computer, but that's good to hear that you have a system that can pull a solid amount of coaches!

18 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

@Train of Thought Creations I used a similar MOD with L motor in the engine boiler, and It can reliably pull 4 coaches (w/ all plastic wheelsets!):
https://flic.kr/p/2pjJJWj

Now I can see it! I love the green! Looks classy. The cats are fun too

@M_slug357, what battery box do you have in in?

Seems I bought 2x of the L-motors, when they were still for sale via LEGO.

Rechargeable battery boxes for those, I never got. Sadly.

@ElGreco 
I just wanted to mention that I was able to just build my design that I posted on Rebrickable https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-165803/StijnD/21344-orient-express-motorization-powered-up/#comments and it ran completely fine across the track. 
After building it I noticed what spare parts I had left and was able to adjust the design even more to now only use 22 parts (28 if you include the PU components and 4 1x2 bricks for the bogie mod)!
I3vSOIL.png
NFTfWgk.png

@zephyr1934 Looks like stud.io was wrong about the axle's length in the end, so bushes are able to be added if preferred :)

Edited by something_fabulous
small parts update

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

Ohh, weight brick 73843, I didn't know those still existes. And Pick a Brick even has those.

Yeah, it's rarely used in regular sets these days, but remains available due in no small part to its continued use in education sets.

10 hours ago, Train of Thought Creations said:

All aboard! Here's the tutorial article for my modification. If you have any questions, let me know!
https://brickset.com/article/102806/motorising-the-orient-express

Very nice! And I like how you routed the cable, very clever.

9 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

@Train of Thought Creations I used a similar MOD with L motor in the engine boiler, and It can reliably pull 4 coaches (w/ all plastic wheelsets!):
https://flic.kr/p/2pjJJWj

You have quite the wildlife problem on your railroad. The green MOD is a great touch too.

6 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I deviated a bit and added a 2x6x2! Weight Brick directly over the drivers for added traction.

Good call, I didn't think there was room to do so with this approach but now that I squint I think I can see how you might have done it. I've been wrestling with getting two weight bricks in, but it requires mounting the motor lower. More on that idea when I have time to build. Though seeing how effective this build is, a pair of weight bricks might be overkill.

On 12/5/2023 at 5:59 AM, lifeinplastic said:

Any updates if Lego intend to modify the spelling issues for Munich and Bucharest for future manufacture?

Good News, from LEGO CS: "The Designers are aware of the spelling and sticker issue, but have not heard of this issue of the curved slopes. (sure lol) Please get in contact with us again when the replacement 1x8 tiles are ready and we will replace."

3 minutes ago, SerperiorBricks said:

Good News, from LEGO CS: "The Designers are aware of the spelling and sticker issue, but have not heard of this issue of the curved slopes. (sure lol) Please get in contact with us again when the replacement 1x8 tiles are ready and we will replace."

Oh my! CS just informed me they will send me the new stickers… so another ticket for the wrong spelling?