Sign in to follow this  
JLiu15

[WIP] 2015 New Flyer XD40 MTA Bus

Following the success of my New Flyer XD60 model, I decided to take the existing design and remake it into an XD40 in Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) livery. I am doing the 2015 model since newer ones have the new blue livery which will be much harder to build in LEGO due to the availability of dark blue pieces. The design uses my previous XD60 model as a base, but this model is more than simply my XD60 model cut down by 20 scaled feet. The chassis is redesigned from scratch, with the front and rear axles at a half-stud offset to allow for smaller and thus more realistically sized wheel arches. The body panels are also attached to the chassis using white Technic bricks with axle hole connected to a white Technic piece with axle, allowing for a seamless finish with no visible pins. A number of details have been polished up since my XD60 model, but perhaps the biggest difference is that the livery won't be sticker-dependent on this model. The simple blue stripe livery means I can easily model it with LEGO pieces, and stickers will only be used for the bus numbers/lettering.

I've only modeled it in Stud.io so far, but I largely know what to expect since my XD60 model so the actually building process should be pretty straightforward once the model is finished in Stud.io.

Photos:

wk3iGRE.png

p2Sanjg.png

bjVHImp.png

la2qs3g.png

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 5/20/23

I've finished the Stud.io model and made some renderings. Overall it was a pretty straightforward process as I already have my previous XD60 model to base it on. The chassis, however, is completely different from my XD60 model. I was even able to fit a Cummins engine model in there which is removable, and while it's pretty crude, the open design of the chassis (as opposed to covering everything up) means that the pistons will be somewhat visible without needing to remove the engine.

Piece count according to Stud.io is 3676. I'll order the parts I need and begin the building process.

Renderings:

rrNZUMM.jpg

22YWSBZ.jpg

Battery access:

QPSnJ1w.png

Engine close-up:

JiyL6qJ.png

Ae16oxe.png

UPDATE 6/5/23

The chassis is now complete along with the roof frame and front body panel. Like my XD60 articulated bus model, the motors for the doors are in the roof frame. However, the rear door mechanism is different as on the real MTA XD40s the rear door opens outwards as on the real bus they are opened by touching a yellow tape. As shown in the previous update, one upgrade from my XD60 model is the removable Cummins engine with moving pistons. Another upgrade is the working steering wheel, which I was able to route from the Servo motor under the front door's linear actuator.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for me!

Photos:

b8Z4yBql.jpg

0KK5Ccrl.jpg

ynPzg6ol.jpg

dGE0R4Bl.jpg

UPDATE 6/7/23

The doors, rear body panels, and destination sign are in place, as well as the flip-flop beams with half pins on the roof frame which will be used for attaching the tiles on the roof.

The front and rear door mechanisms are different as the rear door opens outwards. However, the principle is similar. I was initially concerned that there would be too much play in the system for the rear door mechanism to work properly, but it ended up working pretty much flawlessly.

The rear upper panel is removable for accessing the battery. I was initially intending to only have the central part removable, but there would be no place to grip it to open it once the body is complete. I ended up incorporating a lever that hits the button on the 8878 battery that will stick out from the roof, so the panel only needs to be removed for recharging.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for me!

Photos:

IbDJa3Tl.jpg

EfLwgrgl.jpg

VdOHrRJl.jpg

5qjOOzBl.jpg

CSUwE2Xl.jpg

UPDATE 6/8/23

The left side body panel is in place. The model is starting to look like the real MTA XD40. Thanks to the use of 1x1 bricks with axle hole and white connector pieces, the bodywork is seamless with no pins showing.

Photos:

clCmWnjl.jpg

8bOJu7ll.jpg

What a great project, and thanks for all the updates. The body is starting to take shape, and I love what I see here. The blue and white are perfect, and the long horizontal line is so smooth. Keep it up, and I can't wait to see the final result.

UPDATE 6/12/23

The build is complete. It just needs custom stickers for the MTA livery now. Final piece count is just under 3800.

Photos:

21C8xAel.jpg

FzAOZjbl.jpg

2GyOhkvl.jpg

K3YXYQUl.jpg