Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

[Rockwail HSS] Chapel Gate & blacksmith

Long ago, one of the first dwarven Kings of Rockwail ordered the construction of a sacred mine entrance, right in the heart of the city. For decades, even centuries, miners receive the blessing of Mòhria (represented by the statue on the altar) before descending into the perilous deep. Rockwail has one of the most diverse populations in Nocturnus in terms of races as well as ancestry, so there are a number of religions within in the city due to the many different backgrounds. However, be it through belief or through superstition, the vast majority of miners always descend to the mine and tunnel complex of the city in the morning, via "Chapel Gate". They may take a different route to the surface, as there are multiples entrances annex exits in Rockwail, but the ritual of entering through Chapel Gate is one that persists across miners from all kinds of backgrounds and beliefs.

52867855358_c4eb1f61d1_c.jpg

Today again, two miners are venturing into the deep with the hope of bringing riches to the surface, but above all hoping to return safely. Perhaps empty-handed as they did yesterday, but there's always that sliver of a chance to find something truly extraordinary. Something that will have all of Rockwail looking and talking about them. And since they are 'free miners', they get to keep everything they find, unlike those employed by a mining company. It has its disadvantages, but if they find "The Big One", as they call it, they may not have to work for the rest of their lives! 

Fame, fortune and comfort... a miner can dream!

52867800575_cc5ce70b8b_c.jpg

Unfortunately, today was just another day at the mine. No fame and glory, just bits of ore and barely a grain of crystal. Tomorrow, maybe...

52867412321_bd4719646f_c.jpg

Meanwhile, behind Chapel Gate, a blacksmith has just started working on some iron ornamentation. It is for a very important commission, which was made to the guild of smiths. It's too large of a task for a single smith's shoulders to bear, especially in the given timeframe, but his experience and craftsmanship will be invaluable to give the end result it's desired flair. 

52867855353_532d196bf2_c.jpg

---

Hi, happy to share (part of) a new build with y'all today! I felt that it was necessary to divide this build over two posts, because the writing would otherwise become a bit long and messy. And it's also more practical for the HSS. :classic: Hope you enjoy!

Edited by Exetrius

Great work on the gateway! It looks distinctly dwarven with the angled pieces incorporated into the architecture.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:31 PM, LordDan said:

Great work on the gateway! It looks distinctly dwarven with the angled pieces incorporated into the architecture.

On 5/9/2023 at 8:01 PM, T-86(swe) said:

Lovely details such as the helmet-ornament and the smoke in the blacksmith! 

Thanks, guys! :classic:

I like it!  Kind of funny, I looked at this and thought "This kind of looks like it's part of another build", then sure enough, you posted the other one!  I love the use of the helmet as part of the shield emblem up top.  I also applaud the use of those double sloped large triangular pieces.  I always struggle to find a good use for them, but you have done well.  I really like the arches holding up the forge hood, it looks fantastic.  The details of the chains hanging down, and the fence on the bottom to allow airflow are also well done and help the mind see the subtle 'realism' of the build.  Great use of the candles in the old black palm tree four pronged pieces (whatever they are called).  I have not seen that before and they really lend themselves to that use.  It's very subtle, but I love the symmetry you used in building the columns.  Makes it seem very deliberate and planned, exactly as one might expect from a temple where the builder was sparing no expense and had a high attention to detail.  I'm not entirely sure about the suitcase hanging there, but I think my brain can only see that as a 1980s city piece now! :head_back: Very nice work and thumbs up for HSS!

19 hours ago, Grover said:

I like it!  Kind of funny, I looked at this and thought "This kind of looks like it's part of another build", then sure enough, you posted the other one!  I love the use of the helmet as part of the shield emblem up top.  I also applaud the use of those double sloped large triangular pieces.  I always struggle to find a good use for them, but you have done well.  I really like the arches holding up the forge hood, it looks fantastic.  The details of the chains hanging down, and the fence on the bottom to allow airflow are also well done and help the mind see the subtle 'realism' of the build.  Great use of the candles in the old black palm tree four pronged pieces (whatever they are called).  I have not seen that before and they really lend themselves to that use.  It's very subtle, but I love the symmetry you used in building the columns.  Makes it seem very deliberate and planned, exactly as one might expect from a temple where the builder was sparing no expense and had a high attention to detail.  I'm not entirely sure about the suitcase hanging there, but I think my brain can only see that as a 1980s city piece now! :head_back: Very nice work and thumbs up for HSS!

Thanks a lot! It's always a pleasure to receive such elaborate, thoughtful feedback, especially on the parts usage! I'm glad to hear you like NPU of the helmet and the triangular pieces, both were satisfying to give them a use! And at first I had the flames directly in the palm tree connectors, but I thought it looked a little basic, and too low to break up the the plain part of the column, so that's where the black candle pieces came in. But they surprised me too! For the blacksmith, had minimal space to work with, but I'm pleased to hear that the fence and the chains are effective. As for the suitcase, I hope it makes more sense in the context of the full build. On one side there is the wizard hat that represents the teachers, and on the other side there is the case that should represents the students. I imagined they would bring a case for their writing equipment, maybe even homework, but I admit that the one I used might not be boxy enough. This one from HP CMF might be a better fit, but I don't have it and it's a lot larger.

Thanks again! :sweet: