Murdoch17

two 1950s vintage police patrol cars - real world MOC (based on LEGO City Undercover model)

"This is the police! Come out with your hands up, we have you surrounded! Surrender now, or we are going to use force!"

52832692338_3a1ff91be4_z.jpg

These two identical models were heavily inspired by a Checker Taxicab build I found on Rebrickable by user Labronco Brick Designs. (This builder had reverse engineered the taxi from the LEGO City Undercover video game) I changed the model around a lot to create a '50s police car. This car isn't based on anything too specific (but apparently there WERE Checker police cars in Springfield, Michigan at one time!), but it does get the general "look" of the stereotypical 1950s police car correct, from the single red 'gumball' light on top to the streamlined styling.

52832647580_e7a4f34bda_z.jpg

You can see the original builder's model (alongside a whole bunch of other cool cars from the video game) and their accompanying free instructions here.

52832692328_6844ab1183_z.jpg

The rear of the car with the stylized taillights and non-functional trunk latch.

52832424009_ff22d6b4c1_z.jpg

Each vehicle seats two: an officer upfront, and a suspect behind.

That's all I have for these models, and thoughts / comments / questions / feedback in general would be appreciated!

Well done. This car fits well into the time period. The saddle shoe black and white scheme is perfect. I like how you added a star onto the doors. Might I suggest part 58176, Bionicle eye in trans-red (you used them in trans-orange for the turn beacons) and 85861, round plate with open stud) for the rotating light on top.

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

but it does get the general "look" of the stereotypical 1950s police car correct, from the single red 'gumball' light on top to the streamlined styling.

Absolutely! Very nice achievement, and again, as I replied to @Feuer Zug's recent plane: At this scale readily recognizable. Last weekend I visited the technical museum in Sinsheim/Germany - they have authentic police cars from that time in one of their exhibition halls: You nailed it!

Best regards,
Thorsten 

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Well done. This car fits well into the time period. The saddle shoe black and white scheme is perfect. I like how you added a star onto the doors. Might I suggest part 58176, Bionicle eye in trans-red (you used them in trans-orange for the turn beacons) and 85861, round plate with open stud) for the rotating light on top.

Thanks @Feuer Zug! I had thought about using those parts, but I already had the others on hand so I didn't use them. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, wolfmanone73 said:

That's a great build.

Thank you @wolfmanone73!

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Absolutely! Very nice achievement, and again, as I replied to @Feuer Zug's recent plane: At this scale readily recognizable. Last weekend I visited the technical museum in Sinsheim/Germany - they have authentic police cars from that time in one of their exhibition halls: You nailed it!

Best regards,
Thorsten 

Thanks @Toastie, and that's cool about the museum! Personally, museums tend to be my calm / happy place... especially if it has historic vehicles!

Edited by Murdoch17