ks6349

MOC advice for beginner?

My wish is to create a lot of old buildings that look like the area I was living in. However, it is quite impossible to get similar instructions anywhere on the web, that's why I have to get to learn. But you can imagine that I have zero experience and knowledge on MOC. Any general guideline for newbie on how to get started?

You can use Studio by Bricklink to design your MOCs digitally first and make instructions, and then it will be easy to order the parts you need on Bricklink or the Lego website.

Would also echo the suggestion to use Stud.io on the computer to get started.  It'll be a little bit slow at first as you get the hang of the program, but it's not too bad once you get accustomed to it.  

If you're talking about general techniques, the great thing is that there really are no rules about what the right/wrong way to build things are.  Often, I'll have an idea for a build in mind, but along the way, it may change shape, as I find different pieces and think "Ooh, this would work really well if I used it as XYZ," or I might just start connecting pieces and end up liking the shape or design that I come up with.  Anyway, this is all just to say, let your imagination run and things will probably turn out OK!

Another tip I can share is drawing the building you would like to make, even tracing an actual building picture if that is what you want to build. Then see if you can put the shapes in to LEGO parts using building techniques that a production set can teach. Sometimes, good MOC builders also share techniques in videos etc out there on the internet so you can learn something more advanced. 

On 2/17/2023 at 8:07 AM, Peppermint_M said:

Another tip I can share is drawing the building you would like to make, even tracing an actual building picture if that is what you want to build. Then see if you can put the shapes in to LEGO parts using building techniques that a production set can teach. Sometimes, good MOC builders also share techniques in videos etc out there on the internet so you can learn something more advanced. 

I would echo this advice, as that is generally how I start. I tend to build to get away from the daily grind of life, I love to get lost trying different techniques and building styles, as such I try to also avoid screen time and using any kind of tech, when building stuff. That is just me though and your experience may be completely different.

As somebody who's new to building houses, I found that the easiest method is creating the layout first on a baseplate.

Go from small to large, never start with the exterior, unless you're planning to leave them empty.

Make a lot of basic furniture you can default to later, place them down. Build the room, then build the floor. Once you have a floor plan move onto bigger things.

This method saves me from a ton of headache whenever I don't forget to apply it.

For a building to look good the building needs texture, next to a good overall design of course. Texture means windows and doors half stud or whole stud offset to the wall, next to adding details like columns and plants. Changing colors and wall offsets can also creates texture. Real life buildings can look rather dull and texture brings them to life. Many MOC designers use SNOT techniques to create whole wall sections by placing plates and bricks sideways, and/or put tiles on the walls. A good designed wall can take up 3 to 4 studs this way. This you will learn by just doing and looking and techniques others have used.

I have all official modulars and few have these advanced techniques. When they have these techniques, it is mostly in small portions. Still the official modulars is a good way to start if you have no experience and the instructions are readily available, also Stud.io builds are available.  Try to start with the older ones and work your way up, this way you see the design progress TLG has made themselves over the years, also by creating new brick molds.

I've designed a few successful buildings and some were licensed out to publish boxed sets with good instructions. Some designs were unfortunately stolen. I always start with the outside in Stud.io because everything needs to fit together. After that the floor plan with the available room that is left. When designing the front there is of course already an idea of what will be inside but not a definite floor plan and no furniture design yet. The back also needs attention but can have less texture.

Good luck with your project and most importantly, have fun.

A similar approach that @Peppermint_M suggested was already in place by TLG itself in the (distant) past and I always found it very useful.

It might look a bit archaic nowadays but it's how MOCers learnt their trade when there were no Studio, LDD, LDraw etc. around yet, and can still give you some insight on how to 'learn to moc'. 

Back then every box had a couple of alternate builds displayed on the back side but no instructions for them. Like for example for below set:

6482-1.jpg

The back of the box looked like this:

6482_back-scaled.jpg

This meant that you had a defined selection of available parts, one single picture of a creation that was built from these parts only and no instructions. It was then up to your imagination and creativity to either fully reproduce the creation or use the picture as a guideline to build something similar.

How many of your MOCs were designed first on paper? Does any one do sketches first? Any tips would be appreciated.

For me, I use Stud.io  and starts by putting down bricks or pieces. Often I'll find myself stuck and not sure what directions I should go regarding the look. So it  made me think if I should put it down on paper first instead of going with what I pictured in my mind.