Murdoch17

Magic School Bus - 40586 MOD (1950's / '60s style short school bus)

(Moderators: I put this in Town, because at it's heart, this is a simple MOD of a Town set, and looks like a completely normal bus anyway. If it went to licensed, it would be out of place. Just a thought!)

I tried using the upcoming Moving Truck (set 40586) girft with purchase to make the Magic School Bus from the TV show / books of the same name, as I loved them as a kid. Credit is also due to @R0Sch for his recreation of set 40586 for the inspiration to do this... without his clear rendered pictures, I would have never though of doing this. You can see his fantastic recreation in the discussion topic about the GWP. ...and now as Ms. Frizzle always says: "To the BUS!"

52669473850_a3f13b332c_z.jpg

I had to lessen the amount of windows by one row, and I removed the rear emergency exit door for simplicity. Speaking of doors, I wish LEGO had a smaller, doubled version of the size of door I currently am using. (like the new bigger 1x6x6 version that just came out, but for this 1x4x6 size frame) It just looks weird to have a regular door on a bus!

52669324904_b0faf9380b_z.jpg

The moving stop sign is an addition of mine, as it is unclear if it's on the actual bus from the cartoons / books. As a matter of fact, I can only think of a scant handful of times I've seen this side of the bus in the show!

52669612294_c0905a1a14.jpg

The titular vehicle from the original (and best!) "Magic School Bus" TV show, along with the original inspiring books as reference image. It's not a perfect match, but it's close enough for me.

...and before anyone asks: I can't possibly make Ms. Frizzle into a mini-figure to drive this bus: I could never do her unique sense of fashion justice!

That's about all I have on this MOC. Aren't you glad you didn't stay home from school today? :grin:

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated on this model!

Edited by Murdoch17

Dang it now I got the magic school bus theme song stuck in my head

anyways great moc, could totally be useable in any school moc

Edited by Lemerbrix

On 2/4/2023 at 10:32 PM, Lemerbrix said:

Dang it now I got the magic school bus theme song stuck in my head

anyway’s great moc, could totally be useable in any school moc

Indeed it could @Lemerbrix! I've actually been trying to find a good school to start modifying, and am stuck between the 2019 Hidden Side 'Haunted High School', and the 2021 Friends 'Heartlake City School'. (Leaning towards the Hidden Side one, if not just for it's classic look once the scary stuff is removed.)

On 2/5/2023 at 2:15 AM, JopieK said:

Nice design @Murdoch17.

Thank you @JopieK!

Edited by Murdoch17