Some Guy With LEGO

LEGO Train Station 60335 question?

Hi all,

I try to keep sets pretty close to out of the box designs, only making changes to fit my city.

Built the new 60335 Train Station (had to shorten it to make it fit) but the tower I thought looks goofy and never quite seen a modern station with a control tower.

How does it look without the tower? I tried completely flat but looks plain - I like this but not sure. This has a touch of deco with the clean curved lines and white but I may restore the tower and put a a back on it. Any thoughts?

IMG_9243aaa.jpg

Edited by Some Guy With LEGO

1 hour ago, Some Guy With LEGO said:

Hi all,

I try to keep sets pretty close to out of the box designs, only making changes to fit my city.

Built the new 60335 Train Station (had to shorten it to make it fit) but the tower I thought looks goofy and never quite seen a modern station with a control tower.

How does it look without the tower? I tried completely flat but looks plain - I like this but not sure. This has a touch of deco with the clean curved lines and white but I may restore the tower and put a a back on it. Any thoughts?

I think at minimum you should probably try and find a place to add the station clock back — even a modern train station feels somewhat incomplete without one! EDIT: I realize after posting this that the station clock is probably just on the other side facing the tracks. Apologies!

For my part, I think the upper floor improves the appearance of the model by helping to break up the composition so it isn't so flat-looking. Even if you don't keep it as a control tower, it could be converted into something else like a station manager's office.

I also don't see any stairs/ramps to get to the station platform. Are those around the back, or is that just a detail you haven't gotten to yet? I know it's still in the WIP stage, so no judgment either way.

Edited by Aanchir

Thanks for the reply! All feedback/criticism/comments are welcome, especially as I'm asking for it!

Yes clock would go on the trackside. Sidewalk, stairs, details still to come. I also plan on building up the back (I like all my buildings 3D). Cafe will be enclosed so only way through the station to the tracks is through the ticket doors. Will probably provide some outside seating in the front to enjoy food from the cafe, and then some regular row seating on the track side along with standing room.

Thanks!

Fantastic remodel! In my opinion it looks better now without the tower than the original set. I'll also echo what everyone else said and say completely flat wouldn't look good, so the bump up adds some character and uniqueness.

Keep up the good work @Some Guy With LEGO!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 12/31/2022 at 11:28 PM, Some Guy With LEGO said:

Hi all,

IMG_9243aaa.jpg

So cool remodel, but for me, i would make bogger and exchange tower color to full white

I think if the raised curved bit were perpendicular to the roof, instead of parallel, it would be better. You wouldn’t even need to do a curved skylight, just a white facade in front of it.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Thanks for the comments - I ended up putting the tower back on, but still don't love it - here it is shortened (to fit in town) and with the back done up to be closed in (to make it a 360 building not a façade) with access to the tower. I still try to keep it as close to stock as possible, while fitting my needs....

330571574_523896893181683_73347220096380

330603636_3246583362259198_2336592548441

330556434_544769167632169_44056606095929

330773517_1302563473948896_9130723870052

Ooh, great work with the railing and ladder so that the station manager isn't stuck up there! It matches the station's design language beautifully! The stairs out front also look great. I wasn't totally sure about some of the mods you had i mind but you did a brilliant job making them work!

That last photo really reminds me of the station from 4532: Manual Level Crossing , which happens to be the only station I ever had. 

4532-1.jpg

This is bigger and more detailed, but really still has the same vibe to it, even if it's over 25 years later, very nicely done. :thumbup:

Edited by TeriXeri

Some mods I made to mine, including adding an all important bus stop!

Quite pleased with the sign, using printed 1x6 brick, two 1x2-1x4 brackets, four curved slopes and jumper plates on back to hold the brackets together and connect to station wall.  Cafe and waiting room windows are removable and platform edge is extended by 2 studs to reduce the gap (train doors still open)

Edited by stagecoachfan

Well, I definitely think it looks better without the tower. I think the tower was intended to give some kind of notion that the station was serving a dual role as both a depot and some kind of control point for freight movements, sort of like this squished into a single structure:

15206931736_305bf77dc6_b.jpg

However, that's generally not what you see on stations IRL, and having a low, one-level building IMO makes it look more like modern commuter stations you see in both the US and Europe.