Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Random thought; everyone’s seeing the Donkey Kong sets for Mario, right, especially the minecart track? That minecart looks like it’s a new and dual-moulded piece. Are we thinking there’s any chance it might also be used for Gringotts’ minecarts, to be big enough to accomodate Hagrid?

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Random thought; everyone’s seeing the Donkey Kong sets for Mario, right, especially the minecart track? That minecart looks like it’s a new and dual-moulded piece. Are we thinking there’s any chance it might also be used for Gringotts’ minecarts, to be big enough to accomodate Hagrid?

Pretty sure it's just 2x8 reddish brown plates with light bluish Grey tiles running along the top as tracks. Assuming we are loking at the same thing.

Just been rebuilding Diagon Alley and as I was going through my minifigures trying to find my populace for said set something kept playing on my mind and that is how much I absolutely HATE the Hogwarts Icons set. I have zero interest in that set, it looks fine, sure! But it's just not my thing. But the reason I absolutely HATE the set is because of the 20th Anniversary Minifigures. Having purchased all the playsets that year, I have the six other figures, but the final three are locked (for me) behind this huge paywall of a set that I have no interest in. So now my anniversary figures feel very, very incomplete. And as there's nothing else in the Hogwarts Icons set that's worth anything of value, it means the minifigures are ridiculously expensive on bricklink ($120+ excluding postage for 3 minifigures).

But this got me thinking, and thought it might be interesting to hear some other examples while we are waiting for links..... What is your most Hated (or disliked if you are more polite) LEGO Harry Potter set and why? So not just a set that's not your thing, but a set for some reason or another borders on making your blood boil! :iamded_lol:

Edited by chris6507

3 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Pretty sure it's just 2x8 reddish brown plates with light bluish Grey tiles running along the top as tracks. Assuming we are loking at the same thing.

The comment was about the minecart piece, not the track :wink:

The cart piece is new, but it doesn't look in the style of HP's flat minecarts at all.

3 hours ago, chris6507 said:

But this got me thinking, and thought it might be interesting to hear some other examples while we are waiting for links..... What is your most Hated (or disliked if you are more polite) LEGO Harry Potter set and why? So not just a set that's not your thing, but a set for some reason or another borders on making your blood boil! :iamded_lol:

The moments books.  I think it's because I was so excited to finally get some detailed classrooms, and then built them and discovered that if you want to close the books then you have to take some of the accessories out. Irritated me much more than I would have expected!

1 hour ago, BricksAU said:

The moments books.  I think it's because I was so excited to finally get some detailed classrooms, and then built them and discovered that if you want to close the books then you have to take some of the accessories out. Irritated me much more than I would have expected!

What? They all close with all of the accessories inside, which is a major part of the reason they're permanently close by my workspaces. I really like that about them.  

Tbf, the minifigs go on those studs on top, though. (Still better than the banners where they don't even do that.)

As for @chris6507's question, Icons, for the same reason, the Sirius' Rescue set (because I was looking forward to the remake, it shouldn't be that hard to make either a decent courtyard or a decent tower, and this set flaked on both, especially the "fountain" from the original description), the 2022 HP AC (because nanoscale is some evil stuff, and now it even looks like they're reusing the minifigs after the fact, which grates).

Edited by krimimimi

8 hours ago, chris6507 said:

What is your most Hated (or disliked if you are more polite) LEGO Harry Potter set and why? So not just a set that's not your thing, but a set for some reason or another borders on making your blood boil! :iamded_lol:

I deeply dislike the switch to green roofs on the castle sets since the 20th anniversary. I think it looks bad (inauthentic) compared to the gray roof castle sets, and it has been a major barrier to me getting any castle sets since then. (I know I could probably get gray alternate pieces on my own, but it just irks me too much.) It would have been charming if Lego had offered both green and gray roof pieces for one of the 20th anniversary sets as a nod back to the early sets, but Lego should not have kept using the green roof color scheme for the sets since then.

Edited by Xenophilius
Clarify one point and correct a missing word

Sirius’s Black Escape is easily the worst set so far and it’s not even close. For the Green Roofs, the focus was supposed to be on interiors and it’s absolutely barren. The courtyard itself is literally non existent. There’s no new minifigs or variants besides wait for it…dirt markings. And Buckbeak isn’t a new creature,  I really don’t like the new colors they did for him either. On top of that it’s $50 for 345 pieces or absolutely nothing. Just compare this one to the new Room of Requirements which are exactly the same price and it’s night and day. I have a lot of nostalgia for the original too because it’s the first Lego set I ever built so it’s even more painful how lackluster it is. I may not like some other sets like the new WWW or Icons but at least for what they trying to go for is somewhat accomplished. 

Edited by RODDY

I agree with you all. My frustration is mostly those annoying cheap and unusable plates they use for the castle sets for floors. It’s for pirate ships not buildings! I always check before buying a new set how many of those things they used and how many real plates I got left in my collection of LEGO bricks. So I can swop them. I also change the roofs back to grey and modify the facade. In the end the hogwarts sets don’t look like the sets anymore. 
Have to say that this is the first year I didn’t buy any potter sets yet. They have lost their magic. Hopefully next year will be great again for hp. 

20 minutes ago, Magnum said:

I agree with you all. My frustration is mostly those annoying cheap and unusable plates they use for the castle sets for floors. It’s for pirate ships not buildings!

Thank you! Yes, those 8x8 lattice plates suck. Especially for HP because there's already so many minifigs with either short legs or dresses that you cannot pose on just one stud, and then there's barely any studs thanks to those sucky plates. Whoever came up with that particular combination?

On 4/23/2023 at 7:18 AM, Tariq j said:

The BoH set looks good. It looks like they've taken the front of the Great Hall and little bit of the courtyard there. 

I like the train set. It seems like a minor thing but I really like that they've included two carriages. I've always felt that some previous versions felt a little incomplete with only one carriage. 

Im surprised and glad that it has two. IMO Passenger trains should have atleast three cars to look complete. (Thomas is ok with 2)

I have interest in this set but I dont know if I should get two for a " complete" train or buy a third car separately. Or buy the pieces.

3 years ago it would’ve been hard to pick out any that I didn’t like, now it’s hard to pick where to start. 

There are plenty of 2021+ Hogwarts modules to choose from. I won’t rant about the RoR again, Forbidden Corridor wasn’t a stunner and the Fluffy which it lived or died on was a bit of a mess with its half awake/half asleep design, and finally Sirus Black’s Escape was a complete nothing of a set. As much as some people here hate the 8x8 grate plates they’re still better than the 8x8 wedges used for floors in the Escape set, since at least the grates work with this format and don’t leave holes in the floor quite as massive as the wedges. 

All the foldout gimmick sets are worth a mention. Maybe they wouldn’t be if they hadn’t been released alongside a supposedly interior focused Hogwarts system, seemingly completely replaced any set under $50, and most importantly if we didn’t get 12 sets in 3 different styles in the span of 3 years. The buildable creature models are what they are, and they’re easy enough to ignore. 

Remember the $120 Harry and Hermione set? No other theme ever did those figures. They just made a sort of cloaked Harry that doesn’t really look like any of the figures and then Hermione for some reason. You just get 2/3rd of the HP trio and that’s it. Why Hermione and not Voldemort so it could make more of a complete duo. Why did that set exist at all, especially in a year with so many slots already filled up with the new Hogwarts rectangles. I think getting Grimmauld Place back in 2021 instead of the figures would’ve made 2021 a lot better. 

1 minute ago, deskp said:

when are the sets supposed to be revealed officially? 

I think it’s expected to be during next week. Let’s hope it’s gonna be early so maybe tomorrow.

19 hours ago, RODDY said:

Sirius’s Black Escape is easily the worst set so far and it’s not even close.

I like Sirius’ Rescue because it made me realise I didn’t need to collect EVERY Harry Potter set :P

20 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

I like Sirius’ Rescue because it made me realise I didn’t need to collect EVERY Harry Potter set :P

Good chap, Sammy. You're a "the glass is not completely and utterly empty" type, aren't you? :pir-huzzah2:

28 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Good chap, Sammy. You're a "the glass is not completely and utterly empty" type, aren't you? :pir-huzzah2:

There’s a few dregs left in the bottom 😅

Honestly, the sets I dislike the most are probably the new Dumbledore's Office and the Hospital Wing. While the Fluffy Encounter and Sirius Black's Rescue are simply bad, that makes them easy to ignore - there's nothing here that I want. However, I really like the library part of Dumbledore's Office, and I really like the clock part of the Hospital Wing. Only the rest of each set does absolutely nothing for me. So I'm kinda annoyed that they had to package them together instead of selling them on their own. I probably would have bought the libary level if it came without another three levels of badly designed DO, and I definitely would have bought the clock part without the HW - in fact I ended up bricklinking it, though I had to make a couple of part substitutions.

Edited by brickbride

On 4/20/2023 at 5:23 AM, BrickMatit said:

Imagining that Hogwarts Express (or Great Hall or Hagrid's Hut or...) is an evergreen theme that has to be always on shelves, LEGO could keep the original one, example the 2018 version, on shelf and sell it to new buyer OR produce a new version, different enough (minifigures selection and scene depicted, example adding the station) to sell it not only to new buyer but also to people which already have the past one. Of course, for a buyer that already had the older version, it's usually better that LEGO dedicates resources to something new, but for LEGO producing a new train probably is a winning bet (or at least they believe it).

Even though I have a Hogwarts Express from the early 2000s, I am thinking of getting this because it would be a upgrade, it has two cars (I would like it to be at least 3) and hopefully it can be fitted with a Powered Up train motor. I want a new/current  Lego train set where I can expand  and the new HE and station set might be it.

The good thing is, that we have now the listing of 76422 Diagon Alley™: Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes™ on the instruction page. Atleast the "official" reveal of this set should be today

Pics are up for www. The inside is quite nice. Might buy it and mix the interior with my diagon alley set.

George and Fred swapped the torso from the big Diagon Alley xD

Strange that they included Romilda Vane who wasn't in the WWW scene as far as I recall, but omitted Cormac McLaggen who was. 

Still, a new character is a new character :laugh:

Another new character, Arnold, is indeed printed on a ball and not a new piece as some thought. 

A lot of good stuff in this set, although maybe not enough to tempt those that already have DA... 

Edited by Seaber

That www really does not do it for me… the inside looks like a cheap moc and something my 10 year old could build. The only saving Grace could be if the potions and boxes were printed tiles, but this has ‘stickers’ written all over it.

I realise they couldn’t replicate the DA version, but this is just bad