Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

44 minutes ago, NostalgicBricks said:

Someone in the comments on PromoBricks is saying they expect this to be the final year of Lego HP to coincide with DOTS finishing. They better be wrong. :dsweet:

That would be a dream come true for my wallet, I hope it stays just a dream :devil_laugh:. I feel like we do need at least one more year to pretty much get everything this theme has to offer (if we limit it to solely Harry Potter). If it ends this year it would feel like when your download is stuck at 99% xD.

49 minutes ago, NostalgicBricks said:

Someone in the comments on PromoBricks is saying they expect this to be the final year of Lego HP to coincide with DOTS finishing. They better be wrong. :dsweet:

What does one have to do with the other? :laugh_hard:

Do you really expect Lego to drop one of their best selling themes? Pretty sure they won't. At some point they will only start doing remakes (and later remakes of remakes).

I guess with a theme like this there will always be new people drawn to buy & collect (no matter if children or adults). 

I'm more wondering what sets they will bring in the future. My wishlist will get much shorter after this year, there is only a few ones that I am personally missing

- Durmstrang ship remake

- Room of winged keys

- Final Challenge

- Troll on the loose

- Maze from GoF

- Proper Quidditch set

- Hogwarts Bell towers

Edited by Axxe90

1 hour ago, Axxe90 said:

I'm more wondering what sets they will bring in the future. My wishlist will get much shorter after this year, there is only a few ones that I am personally missing

- Durmstrang ship remake

- Room of winged keys

- Final Challenge

- Troll on the loose

- Maze from GoF

- Proper Quidditch set

- Hogwarts Bell towers

I was thinking, what if they did the maze similary to the wizard's chess set by making it an actual game? They could do it like that Labyrinth game from Ravensburger. Use 6x6 plates for every part of the maze (straight line, curve, T intersection and Crossroad) so you can still fit a minifigure in the middle. Ofc all 4 champions as the pawns. And put the Triwizard Cup in the centre as the finish. Shoving around those 6x6 plates to change the maze during the game, so the maze actually changes. They could even include a little side build for the stands with Amos Diggory and Filch and his cannon plus the Orchestra if they wanna go all out.

Edited by Huigberts Builds

15 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I was thinking, what if they did the maze similary to the wizard's chess set by making it an actual game? They could do it like that Labyrinth game from Ravensburger. Use 6x6 plates for every part of the maze (straight line, curve, T intersection and Crossroad) so you can still fit a minifigure in the middle. Ofc all 4 champions as the pawns. And put the Triwizard Cup in the centre as the finish. Shoving around those 6x6 plates to change the maze during the game, so the maze actually changes. They could even include a little side build for the stands with Amos Diggory and Filch and his cannon plus the Orchestra if they wanna go all out.

Wow, I love this idea. :thumbup: 

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What does one have to do with the other? :laugh_hard:

Am I allowed to quote from another site? Well, this is what he said.

Spoiler

"Another guess: The fact that there will probably be 3 more Dots sets from Harry Potter in the end confirms my assumption that from 2024 (after 6 years) there will be a Hogwarts break after all. The rumblings about Gringotts reinforce this assumption. This year we're going to throw everything in and out that we can, and then we can live off it for another two or three years before the last Potter sets go EOL."

But I don't think it's true either. But I just get anxious thinking of how things ended in 2011 and the sight of that abandoned forum.

Edited by NostalgicBricks

44 minutes ago, NostalgicBricks said:

Wow, I love this idea. :thumbup: 

Hide contents

"Another guess: The fact that there will probably be 3 more Dots sets from Harry Potter in the end confirms my assumption that from 2024 (after 6 years) there will be a Hogwarts break after all. The rumblings about Gringotts reinforce this assumption. This year we're going to throw everything in and out that we can, and then we can live off it for another two or three years before the last Potter sets go EOL."

But I don't think it's true either. But I just get anxious thinking of how things ended in 2011 and the sight of that abandoned forum.

What is Dots and how do the two themes connect?

To me it wouldn't make much sense to stop this theme, as I'm pretty sure it was in Legos top five best selling themes in 2021 and 2022.  

The only reason I could see them stopping it is if they go all out with LOTR so they aren't competing against each other.  After all LOTR has the new ROP series which is guaranteed to have five seasons so that universe is going to be in the limelight for quite a while. Although having said that Harry Potter does have the new triple A game Hogwarts Legacy coming out next month which is projected to be a huge hit.  The only other licensed theme making a comeback is Indiana Jones, but that's most likely only going to be around this year and next as I don't believe it has the same popularity as HP and LOTR. 

1 hour ago, NostalgicBricks said:

Reveal hidden contents

Unless it's down to bad translation, the quote there says a Hogwarts break, not a Harry Potter theme break?

But I see absolutely no connection. Dots just like Art (which also did an HP set) is a completely different team and product portfolio. People love to do baseless, speculative doom and gloom. It's a staple of the online fandom.

The line is doing what people want (Gringotts) so that means the theme is ending? Yeah right.

7 hours ago, NostalgicBricks said:

Honestly, this can’t really be compared to 2011. Everyone was disappointed then because they barely scratched the surface of what could be done with the theme. The premature end felt like an ocean of missed opportunities.

This time however, even if it ended soon, which is not likely, we’ve had such a good run it would feel nowhere near as bad as last time, at least to me :laugh:

7 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

What is Dots and how do the two themes connect?

To me it wouldn't make much sense to stop this theme, as I'm pretty sure it was in Legos top five best selling themes in 2021 and 2022.  

The only reason I could see them stopping it is if they go all out with LOTR so they aren't competing against each other.  After all LOTR has the new ROP series which is guaranteed to have five seasons so that universe is going to be in the limelight for quite a while. Although having said that Harry Potter does have the new triple A game Hogwarts Legacy coming out next month which is projected to be a huge hit.  The only other licensed theme making a comeback is Indiana Jones, but that's most likely only going to be around this year and next as I don't believe it has the same popularity as HP and LOTR. 

Lord of the Rings doesn't have the popularity with kids that Harry Potter has. They wouldn't compete that much. Harry Potter might lose some adult customers to LOTR, but kids will still want HP.

Besides, this whole thing makes no sense. It just seems like baseless speculation. I just can't see Lego giving up one of their best-selling themes for a theme whose previous run didn't seem to sell that well - although playsets probably weren't the best choice for the theme!

Feels to me like a wired have been crossed somewhere. Why cancel one of the best selling lines when there is a new video game out this year (not for a minute saying there will be sets based on it, but it will keep HP/Hogwarts more in the spotlight than ever), there are so many locations,characters and varients to make without repeating (so no Star Wars Snowspeeders sets every 2 years), there is no big theme to replace the shelf space (IJ will have a few sets and perhaps LotR will get a wave, but not the quantity of HP sets which hang around for years), and the line is constantly praised and has some of the best sets the company has ever made? 

40 minutes ago, Decat said:

Lord of the Rings doesn't have the popularity with kids that Harry Potter has. They wouldn't compete that much. Harry Potter might lose some adult customers to LOTR, but kids will still want HP.

Besides, this whole thing makes no sense. It just seems like baseless speculation. I just can't see Lego giving up one of their best-selling themes for a theme whose previous run didn't seem to sell that well - although playsets probably weren't the best choice for the theme!

Very true mate, that was the only reason I could think of and even then it's not that much of a reason. It's not even like they need to recycle sets yet as there is so much more to make from all eight movies.  Realistically the only time remakes need to be remade based on how many sets we get now per wave would be every 6/8 years.  Just look at all the potential sets that haven't been made yet.  

13 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Feels to me like a wired have been crossed somewhere. Why cancel one of the best selling lines when there is a new video game out this year (not for a minute saying there will be sets based on it, but it will keep HP/Hogwarts more in the spotlight than ever), there are so many locations,characters and varients to make without repeating (so no Star Wars Snowspeeders sets every 2 years), there is no big theme to replace the shelf space (IJ will have a few sets and perhaps LotR will get a wave, but not the quantity of HP sets which hang around for years), and the line is constantly praised and has some of the best sets the company has ever made? 

I suppose with LOTR the vast majority of sets that people would want would cost upwards of $100 in reality.  When you look at the movies a lot of it is traveling around in open wildness to one big location.  I suppose with that theme it makes more sense to do the odd brickhedz and potentially a couple of smaller sets (army builders style) and one big D2C every year, that way it wouldn't merit talking HP's place but still keep the interest of AFOLS for it to be affordable to get the D2C and collect Harry Potter as well. 

Let's just pretend for a moment this theme was indeed going to end this year. What would everyone want the remaining sets to be to finish of the theme? So the contents of the advent calendar, 76418, 76422 and 76423?

For me it will have to be Weasley Themed advent calendar, with Fred and George in their F and G christmas sweaters (PS variants of them would be a first, and those weasley sweaters just felt like the most christmasy figures any HP AC have given us), Arthur (I feel like a recoloured Eggshell piece might work as his crown). Setting could partialy be Grimmauld Place, throw in Sirius and you already have a pretty nice AC.

Then for the remaining builds it's harder, I looked at what needs to be made to have this theme as completed as possible, taking into consideration what still can and can not be included in the sets we already know of.

The Durmstrang Ship feels like a must to complete the Goblet of Fire range. I think it requires the second D2C spot (rather than the Knight Bus rumors) to be able to make this set though.

Then I would say the biggest places missing that weren't represented in one way or another would be the Lovegood House (only way I can see a Xenophilius figure happen, plus crucial if we want the Deathly Hallows represented). And the Shell Cotage for Fleur and Bill.

Sure Malfoy Manor is more desirable, but the figures could still appear in the Battle of Hogwarts, plus the once that can't (DH Ollivanders) can be included in the Shell Cotage as a more child friendly setting. Leaky Cauldron was in some way represented in the 2021 AC, Borgin and Burkes was represented with Mr Borgin in the figure pack. And they might have some trouble standing on their own, plus they could still be represented in one way or another in the Gringotts set (although we would have probably have known it by now if that would be the case).

Before the line ends (if it ever does) I want a D2C minifig-scale Hogwarts Castle (perhaps for the 25th anniversary of Philosopher's Stone in 2026) at about £600/700 (think the most expensive Millennium Falcon set). Inside I want the Great Hall, Gryffindor Common Room, the potions classroom, a hallway, a store cupboard and the forbidden corridor. The new mold would be a new body for Fluffy which attaches to the 2021 heads. It would also include one of the Christmas horse-drawn carriages from CoS. That's my dream set, and it's what I thought the 2018 was going to be when I was reading rumours about it.

10 minutes ago, NostalgicBricks said:

Before the line ends (if it ever does) I want a D2C minifig-scale Hogwarts Castle

I don’t think that’s ever gonna happen as it would be self-cannibalism. The Hogwarts D2C made sense because it was a completely different scale and thus its own thing, unrelated with the modular system.

Also, how many Great Halls do we flippin need?! :laugh_hard:

12 hours ago, Axxe90 said:

- Maze from GoF

Aside from @Huigberts Builds intriguing idea, has anyone ever seen a MOC of the film version of the Third Task they thought was good? They almost definitely won't give us the book version, and the film version, bizarrely, was far less visual. IIRC, Sphinx & co. were all book only?

9 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Unless it's down to bad translation, the quote there says a Hogwarts break, not a Harry Potter theme break?

People were referring to Promobricks, so I assume the original was German? If someone DMs me a link, I'm happy to take look. (I like to think I'm still more reliable than google translate, if only just... 😊)

Also, HP was definitely one of the top 5 themes last year, it's consistently been a good performer, and there's still development of the property on other platforms. There's no way lego puts that in hibernate at this point in time. They have not yet milked me for all I'm worth! I still have a few Knuts left. I'm betting that's true for the rest of you as well. 😉

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Heresy! (But: yes.)

38 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Aside from @Huigberts Builds intriguing idea, has anyone ever seen a MOC of the film version of the Third Task they thought was good? They almost definitely won't give us the book version, and the film version, bizarrely, was far less visual. IIRC, Sphinx & co. were all book only?

I thought the one by Rebrickable was kinda cool, it's system size and includes the stands, the hedges look like a pain to build though.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-121114/JL.Bricks/triwizard-maze/#details

Although a third task maze also feels like an odd set to make, definitely doesn't look that good as a display piece as the outside is basically just a green wall, it only looks good from a top view imo. That's why I thought it might be better to connect it to some kind of feature to help sell it.

25 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Although a third task maze also feels like an odd set to make […]

Yeah, the Third Task really doesn‘t lend itself to a set as it is just a hedge maze. The foggy and eerie atmosphere in the movie is great, but cannot really be translated into a set. The only way I could see it done is as part of a graveyard remake set, with a play feature to “teleport” Harry and Cedric (e.g. a revolving door with one side being a hedge and the other with graveyard scenery) :classic:

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I don’t think that’s ever gonna happen as it would be self-cannibalism. The Hogwarts D2C made sense because it was a completely different scale and thus its own thing, unrelated with the modular system.

In all honesty it probably wouldn't even be that good as we have so many sets to combine with the current version that a D2C would be most likely smaller.  How long do you think this style of Hogwarts will carry on? 

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yeah, the Third Task really doesn‘t lend itself to a set as it is just a hedge maze. The foggy and eerie atmosphere in the movie is great, but cannot really be translated into a set. The only way I could see it done is as part of a graveyard remake set, with a play feature to “teleport” Harry and Cedric (e.g. a revolving door with one side being a hedge and the other with graveyard scenery) :classic:

I think a new graveyard duel is very much needed, I don't know if it's just me but I was very underwelmend with the 2019 version, mainly because of how good the original one is. 

Well, we can agree to disagree. If this theme is going to last for any duration of time, and continue with D2Cs every yearly (or twice yearly), then it's inevitable that they will return to the main setting of the franchise. Many people, like me, hated the previous Hogwarts Castle and want a proper model like the Disney castle. I love the playsets a lot, but they will never have the same level of detail and structure as a premium-priced set. And The Great Hall to Harry Potter is like the Millennium Falcon to Star Wars - there'll always be an iteration of it on shelves IMO.

I never thought this was possible before, but seeing the prices overtime and the amount of dedication to this theme.... it is not totally unrealistic to hope for an $1000+ Hogwarts

The courtyard final battle to connect with the Sirius courtyard seems fitting for the final modular Hogwarts set, but there's still things they could do like the greenhouses, 1-2 Hagrids Hut and a quidditch redo. 

53 minutes ago, evanevanevan said:

[…] it is not totally unrealistic to hope for an $1000+ Hogwarts

Not sure if that‘s a threshold they‘re willing to cross. That‘s double the price of the current most expensive HP set!

12 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Honestly, this can’t really be compared to 2011. Everyone was disappointed then because they barely scratched the surface of what could be done with the theme. The premature end felt like an ocean of missed opportunities.

This time however, even if it ended soon, which is not likely, we’ve had such a good run it would feel nowhere near as bad as last time, at least to me :laugh:

I agree--I'm not necessarily *wanting* the theme to end, but if it does end I feel pretty satisfied with what we got--especially compared to what the theme was like when they ended it in 2011.

I just can't see a theme ending when it is getting two D2C's per year.  That just wouldn't make sense.  I hope Lego don't decide to redo the castle again though, sure they could do but why not finish what they've started and actually give us the missing bits to this one first.