Darth_Legois

Aussie sales! Share the news of LOCAL sales!

Just be careful your bank may charge an overseas transaction fee, per transaction, mine does.

Thanks. My bank only charges a percent if there is a currency conversion involved, if the the amount is already in AUD it should be fine.

Thanks. My bank only charges a percent if there is a currency conversion involved, if the the amount is already in AUD it should be fine.

Be mindful. I have two credit cards (with different banks). One charges a currency conversion for orders from LEGO S@H and the other doesn't (so obviously I use the one that doesn't).

Oh ok, thanks. I may have read Artanis I's response incorrectly. It appears they probably charge in DKK which gets converted into AUD hence a currency conversion charge which I'm trying to avoid.

My credit card statement usually lists the price I'm charged in AUD and the original amount in the original currency plus a separate conversion charge which is all good info to have.

I don't have any transaction fees, and I use a debit card for S@H. It does show up on my statements as AUD, but then the only other international purchases I make are through Paypal, so I can't compare it to anything, and my experiences may be an exception.

Anyone know the AU prices for Scooby Doo?

They have been reported to be from smallest to largest set: $20, $40, $50, $80 and $110. The mansion seems relatively cheap if that price is accurate but the bi-plane is a terrible price at $40.

@afolaus

The receipts/invoices that LEGO emails to me are quoted in AUD, and my credit card statement has never listed a foreign currency for my S@H purchases (which it does do for some other foreign currency transactions), but I do get charged an 'overseas transaction fee' (not a 'currency conversion fee' per se) of around 3%. I believe it's down to each financial institution's own practices (and probably even each different credit card that they offer) as to whether or not they will slap you with any fees for S@H purchases, so best to check it with your own credit card provider to be sure (or I guess just be prepared to wear the extra cost while you test it out with your first purchase). It's a pretty sneaky practice though, when you're being charged by the merchant in AUD, and especially when the merchant has what appears to be a specifically Australian website address, so you may not even be aware that they are charging your card from overseas.

I've now gotten into the habit of just always redeeming one tier of VIP points ($7.50) to off-set the credit card fee whenever I make a purchase, as I always spend at least the minimum free shipping threshold, so will always earn at least that much VIP credit back from the order. It means I don't really benefit from any perceived discount that the VIP points offer (unless it's double points month), but it helps me to justify a S@H purchase to myself without feeling that I'm paying more than RRP after I'm slapped with the fee.

Someone on another forum reported that Big Bang Theory was showing up in the TRU computer system with a September release date, as was Birds and Wall-E (all 3 showing up at RRP with Wall-E being the same price as Birds)

Also a report from the same guy that the Kwik-E-Mart is due to hit retail soon.

Nothing out there to suggest that any of these sets are specifically exclusive to Toys R Us at this point.

Edited by jonwil

They have been reported to be from smallest to largest set: $20, $40, $50, $80 and $110. The mansion seems relatively cheap if that price is accurate but the bi-plane is a terrible price at $40.

The bi-plane might be the worst value for money set I've seen in ages at 128 pieces, the rest are pretty good regarding AUD prices especially the smallest museum set.

Edit: now that the prices are officially listed the haunted mansion is $120

Edited by afolaus

Has anyone sighted the new 'winter' wave sets such as the new ninjago, star wars, scooby doo in the wild yet? Do we know when will these be released in the local retail shops?

The Duplo Batman Bat Boat set, new Friends, Elves, City, Bionicle, NinjaGo, Minecraft and Star Wars (except the Episode 7 sets, buildable action figures and advent calendar) are due out in August so they should be in stores soon.

The new Technic, Star Wars Advent Calendar, buildable Star Wars action figures, Episode 7 sets, Scooby Doo and Series 14 Minifigs are due out in September.

And the Series 6 Mixels and Spider Man Duplo set are comming out in October.

Thank you for your quick response jonwil. I hope soon mean within a week or two, hopefully by the end of this week, we can see some new sets on the shelves. Cheers!

Has anyone sighted the new 'winter' wave sets such as the new ninjago, star wars, scooby doo in the wild yet? Do we know when will these be released in the local retail shops?

I've seen a few new ninjago sets, saw the ghost bike at Big W last week, and saw the blue tank thing at Kmart the week before. Not sure why only those two August sets got an early release though.

I've seen a few new ninjago sets, saw the ghost bike at Big W last week, and saw the blue tank thing at Kmart the week before. Not sure why only those two August sets got an early release though.

Because they are retailer exclusives, brought out early for their respective sales.

EDIT: Also does anyone know if the Star Wars Rebels 75106 Imperial Assault Carrier will be coming locally, because Shopforme has all the others up but not this one, which would also correlate with the 2nd half year catalog not including it?

Edited by Brickus

EDIT: Also does anyone know if the Star Wars Rebels 75106 Imperial Assault Carrier will be coming locally, because Shopforme has all the others up but not this one, which would also correlate with the 2nd half year catalog not including it?

Perhaps it's not coming to Australia or may pop up as a retailer exclusive, given its absence from the local catalog. I go to Germany quite often and sometimes sets that are exclusives here are everywhere there so there is likely not much consistency between markets.

I didn't realise that the Star Wars Rebels 75106 Imperial Assault Carrier wasn't in the catalogue, it's not a set on my radar. Weird.

I don't want to sound alarmist as this is pure speculation based on anecdotal evidence but it seems to me the Rebels sets aren't selling very well at all. The Ghost has been clearanced by multiple retailers as low as 50% off with stock still around and also The Phantom which from memory Big W were clearancing at $15 at one point. I see heaps of AT-DPs gathering dust and I think I've seen them as low as $50. I think the TIE Protoype looks like a pretty cool ship at a decent price and they seem to be collecting a bit of dust as well.

Maybe there are fears that because it's from the Rebels line a ship the size of the Imperial Assault Carrier just won't sell here and it's up around $200 from memory. Time will tell I guess as the new Star Wars sets should be hitting the shelves in the next couple of weeks.

Its not just the Lego sets. Myer's been clearancing off those Hasbro Inquisitor figures for half price as well. Rebels merchandise in general doesn't seem to be selling too well down here.

I was talking to a LEGO rep and they said the new sets will be out towards the end of next week, so no luck with them appearing before the Target sale ends.

Some of the new sets are showing up at Big W aparently. The new City Square set (with the orange tram etc) has a normal Big W retail price of $198.

Also if you are lucky you might be able to find some Big W stores (especially in country or smaller Big W stores that don't get lots of sales) you might find some sets that are on clearance (especially older sets, you may need to scan them with the price checker since they may not have a shelf tag)

Some of the new sets are showing up at Big W aparently. The new City Square set (with the orange tram etc) has a normal Big W retail price of $198.

Also if you are lucky you might be able to find some Big W stores (especially in country or smaller Big W stores that don't get lots of sales) you might find some sets that are on clearance (especially older sets, you may need to scan them with the price checker since they may not have a shelf tag)

Funny, 198 is less than 20% off the RRP price of 249.99......cheeky BigW eh ? :wink: