60 stud wheeltrack (width, hub to hub)

45 stud wheelbase (length, axle to axle)

PiXxLB.md.png

Specs:

• Mindstorms hub running pybricks w/ powered up remote
  • 4 Technic XL motors for power (also for supplementary spin steering)
  • 1 Technic L motor for 4 wheel steering
  • Weight = 4 lb 10 oz (2KG)
  • mismatched shocks (cuz I ran out of parts...ordered!)

Check out a comparison of this vehicle to other Lego trucks I've built: https://youtu.be/BsD3ZKFLFvI

Edited by shroomzofdoom

3 hours ago, ukbajadave said:

Did you mean 60 stud track? Or is this essentially square?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axle_track#/media/File%3AWheelbase_and_Track.png

45 stud wheelbase, 60 stud track.  I've corrected my original post.  Thank you!

I may try to make this thing a big ol square now that you mention it.  I started off trying to see how much travel I could get out of the suspension and I had those 17L links so I deisgned it around them.  

What's really the point of this? I would understand, that wheels are bigger, then You need it wider etc.

If the only point is 60 stud, then why not to go for 100, which also should be pretty easy.

;)

It feels like the point is a technical exercise to see what is possible but looking at the first picture gives me a mars lander feeling. I'd stick a third axle in the middle and build some bigger Lunokhod style wheels using connectors and axles. I don't know much about mindstorms and pybricks but are there enough outputs for a robot arm? It would be cool to have something you could drive into the kitchen to fetch snacks :classic:

57 minutes ago, ukbajadave said:

It feels like the point is a technical exercise to see what is possible but looking at the first picture gives me a mars lander feeling. I'd stick a third axle in the middle and build some bigger Lunokhod style wheels using connectors and axles. I don't know much about mindstorms and pybricks but are there enough outputs for a robot arm? It would be cool to have something you could drive into the kitchen to fetch snacks :classic:

The RI hub used here has 6 outputs, so it should be enough, assuming 4 wheels with independent motors each.

I have a second MS hub and they can be daisychained (though I don't believe this is supported in pybricks yet).  I do have have a separate project going for a 6 wheel rover with a rocker bogie differential but it's been in the works for a year and has consumed about 5 lb of Technic parts so far. Some day...

One day, I was building a small front suspension like this and thought, 'What if I extended it the knuckle to 7? Or 9? Or 15? And really the limiter to doing it simply is the length of Lego links for tie rods. I built some suspensions with 5L and 9L links and had some of these 17L long links and just kinda built it. I was more or less curious what the upper end limit might be with existing links. Curious if anyone has found ways to use things like bionicle joints? 

The point is...pointlessness. @astyanax gets it :head_back:

PmpbM7.th.jpg

13 hours ago, Jurss said:

If the only point is 60 stud, then why not to go for 100, which also should be pretty easy.

Or 250 :pir-wink: or even more!

What's the point of recreating all these vehicles with LEGO beams, bricks, and pieces, anyway? I'd say there is none, other than the fun of it.

So going larger may actually be fun. TLG does it all the time, look at the latest HP "train". Personally, anything at this scale would not be pretty easy for me - I believe there need to be some technical Technic bricks solutions. Or maybe not.

I like the just do it and have fun part.

Best,
Thorsten 

I suppose you could make pretty much indefinitely long steering links by chaining beams together with suspension arms attached to them.

It looks like an interesting model to design!