NoOneOfImportance

Ongoing Transformers Rumors and Discussion

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I suppose launching with half a toa team and an enemy figure would work better than "hey here's the main 6 toa, 6 villagers, and your only enemy that's more than 6 parts is a static model of a spider. Shut up and enjoy the lack of lore and marketing.", but I doubt it's the plan. Every whisper about a return of the theme has said 2025, and I think if bionicle was returning this year, we'd know something by now.

Maybe the story starts with the Toa scattered? That would be a good way to ease people back into the theme. 

5 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think transformers one would be an AWFUL idea for sets.

I agree - What would they even be, then? 

13 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Maybe the story starts with the Toa scattered? That would be a good way to ease people back into the theme. 

Which is how the theme originally started- the only toa we see in the first issue or two of the comic were Kopaka and then Pohatu. Assumably they'd want Tahu front and center as well, since fire is always their main guy, but it would totally fit. Although I also think we'll see a new team- if nothing else, I think they'd want at least two female toa, and I also don't think they'd want to make a big change like that to one of the core six.

13 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I agree - What would they even be, then? 

SCCBS figs like the Core ninjago mechs or marvel figs.

Spoiler

Not even a 2-in-1, they just literally wouldn't be able to have alt modes.

With no battle-in-a-box or even in the wave, a max of two recognizable characters (Prime and Bee- megatron does not look like megatron here, and while I love Elita she's really only ever had a starring role in the WRC trilogy), designs adults don't seem to be a fan of, and a basis in a new animated film instead of something like G1 (Or even Bay. The movies might have been a descending staircase to cinema hell, but the 07 designs are old enough to have nostalgia hit and could do well), the sets would probably bomb.

Luckily, I don't think this is the case. Lego is very cautious with movie tie-ins nowadays, and I can't see them deciding to make four sets for transformers, especially with the above, but not more than one for most new marvel movies. I could see orange being Sonic 3, to be honest.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

SCCBS figs like the Core ninjago mechs or marvel figs.

Reveal hidden contents

Not even a 2-in-1, they just literally wouldn't be able to have alt modes.

I meant that 

non-transforming Transformers is a stupid concept, IMO. I can see doing a story where one of the characters cannot transform, but stripping out the central conceit of the IP makes no sense.

I could see orange being Sonic 3, to be honest.

We already have a Sonic line, so I am not sure why Sonic 3 sets would need a codename. 

Although I also think we'll see a new team- if nothing else, I think they'd want at least two female toa, and I also don't think they'd want to make a big change like that to one of the core six.

I absolutely think that if Bionicle comes back, we will get a new core team; bringing back the original six for G2 was an odd choice that made the theme start off feeling like a rehash. 

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I meant that 

Reveal hidden contents

non-transforming Transformers is a stupid concept, IMO. I can see doing a story where one of the characters cannot transform, but stripping out the central conceit of the IP makes no sense.

Oh yeah, even just as a story feature it sounds awful, not to mention the sets. It's also at odds with basically every other continuity. They've done what you mention before, most notably-

Spoiler

starscream in Transformers Prime has his T-cog ripped out by humans trying to replicate a transformer. He hobbles around flightless for a bit, including an episode that's got some hilarious shots of him using the cybertronian equivalent of a motor scooter, before eventually getting repaired after taking a T-cog off the corpse of another transformer. 

- but yeah, what's being described for the film sounds like a terrible idea for a transformers property.

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

We already have a Sonic line, so I am not sure why Sonic 3 sets would need a codename.

I was thinking about how the TLBM line was seperate from the superheroes line, but this is more similar to MCU sets and comic marvel sets, which share the same line. You're right, they wouldn't make a separate one.

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I absolutely think that if Bionicle comes back, we will get a new core team; bringing back the original six for G2 was an odd choice that made the theme start off feeling like a rehash. 

It was the star wars sequel strategy- put in things that are similar on a surface level but lack the actual soul of the property. Except in this case instead of different character themes and arcs, there just... wasn't anything. It had the surface similarities like the names, but not the personalities, and none of the depth of story fans knew. Combine that with the fact they made almost no effort to market to kids, and it was over before it began.

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2023 at 11:24 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

What if “Orange” is Bionicle G3? Four sets seems odd since both prior iterations had base teams of six, but maybe LEGO is trying something new? We did get new ratchet joint and armour shell pieces in the new Ninjago mechs. 🤔

'Orange' could frankly be anything, but I think the most realistic options are Zelda or Transformers:One as we know we are getting Zelda and something Transformers related in 2024. It's likely a licensed theme they don't want to spoil the reveal of, hence the codename.

If Bionicle does come back, I'd imagine 2025, probably late 2025, going into the 25th anniversary in 2026. The longer downtime it has, the more chance for new joints, armour shell pieces and other aspects to be introduced that Lego could recycle for later. I was only considering it's return here if 'Orange' is Transformers: One as Transformers: One would allow for the introduction of even more shell pieces and potentially a new body piece that would fit with Bionicle given its potential appearance with the T-Cog being in a similar position to where the Toa Mata had the gears.

On 12/31/2023 at 3:42 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

Aw, man. You might be right, unfortunately.  The designs match, the set count matches, everything you've said fits. That said, I think transformers one would be an AWFUL idea for sets.

We'll see how it happens, but regardless we're definitely getting something Transformers related. I just think if they intended to do more Transformers figures then the most logical option after doing a brick-built Optimus Prime would be to go the younger direction and probably tie it in with the upcoming film. After all, if Transformers: One ends up being a Spider-verse level success then it could end up launching a long lasting Transformers theme with Lego - Buildable figures for playability while detailed transforming mechs for display.

On 12/31/2023 at 3:42 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't know how kids would feel about having essentially no enemies in the sets unless they market megs as a villain, which it seems like they won't.

Optimus and Bumblebee are probably recognisable enough and popular enough for people to buy them. Megatron similarly is popular and I imagine he'll end up becoming an antagonist eventually in the films, though there's been a few younger focused shows where Megatron is more of an ally to the Autobots. Elita-1 is a bit more debatable, but being the only female Transformer may tap into additional markets and widen the buildable figure range which at the moment has been only male characters.

On 12/31/2023 at 10:44 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

- but yeah, what's being described for the film sounds like a terrible idea for a transformers property.

Spoiler

I'd imagine every Transformers has a T-Cog already in their body, but its powered by a specific item - kinda like connecting to Wifi needs a router. This item was deactivated by the Cybertronian Elite and has been kept away from the public for so long that the concept of Transformation is just a legend. Megatron and Optimus still believe in the legends and end up going on a mission to find it, and once activating it, it enables every Transformer to Transform.

Edited by Scarilian

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

We'll see how it happens, but regardless we're definitely getting something Transformers related. I just think if they intended to do more Transformers figures then the most logical option after doing a brick-built Optimus Prime would be to go the younger direction and probably tie it in with the upcoming film. After all, if Transformers: One ends up being a Spider-verse level success then it could end up launching a long lasting Transformers theme with Lego - Buildable figures for playability while detailed transforming mechs for display.

Optimus and Bumblebee are probably recognisable enough and popular enough for people to buy them. Megatron similarly is popular and I imagine he'll end up becoming an antagonist eventually in the films, though there's been a few younger focused shows where Megatron is more of an ally to the Autobots. Elita-1 is a bit more debatable, but being the only female Transformer may tap into additional markets and widen the buildable figure range which at the moment has been only male characters.

Reveal hidden contents

I'd imagine every Transformers has a T-Cog already in their body, but its powered by a specific item - kinda like connecting to Wifi needs a router. This item was deactivated by the Cybertronian Elite and has been kept away from the public for so long that the concept of Transformation is just a legend. Megatron and Optimus still believe in the legends and end up going on a mission to find it, and once activating it, it enables every Transformer to Transform.

I'm not sure transformers: one has a chance at being a spider-man level success. Putting aside some of the stranger things we've heard about the film (again, they can't transform), the live action movies haven't been doing well at the box office.

I agree Optimus and bee are recognizable enough and I'm sure they'll sell fine. The issue is that there's essentially no villains if D-16 is meant to be a hero in this part of the timeline. (Also, Elita as the only female transformer? She's one of the more popular female transformers, but Arcee is by far the most well-known. And there are countless others like Chromia, Moonracer, Windblade, etc)

Spoiler

my issue with that is that if the cybertronian elite literally stopped transformers from transforming, it'd be kind of hard to make Megatron the villain for wanting to destroy them. I suppose you could make it so they didn't take it away, and simply dismissed it's existence as ancient legend, but I still don't like the base idea of "a transformers movie where they don't transform until the very end". 

2 hours ago, Scarilian said:

'Orange' could frankly be anything, but I think the most realistic options are Zelda or Transformers:One as we know we are getting Zelda and something Transformers related in 2024. It's likely a licensed theme they don't want to spoil the reveal of, hence the codename.

Dreamzzz was codenamed “Titan”, so “Orange” could be in-house; that said, I am not sure that LEGO would add a fourth major in-house theme to their lineup (if so, pleasebespacepleasebespacepleasebespace). Good point about Zelda, though. 👍

2 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Elita-1 is a bit more debatable, but being the only female Transformer 

The only female Transformer in the movie/hypothetical LEGO line, you mean? There are definitely more female Transformers! 

57 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

(Also, Elita as the only female transformer? She's one of the more popular female transformers, but Arcee is by far the most well-known. And there are countless others like Chromia, Moonracer, Windblade, etc) 

Yep! 👍

9 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Elita as the only female transformer?

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The only female Transformer in the movie/hypothetical LEGO line, you mean?

Yeah, I meant in the context of a hypothetical line-up of four sets for TF:One, having a female transformer in the mix adds a bit of variance to the sets and may attract a wider audience to get interested in the buildable figures. It also helps make the fourth figure in the list stand out more when compared to the likes of Optimus, Bumblebee and Megatron.

9 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Dreamzzz was codenamed “Titan”, so “Orange” could be in-house; that said, I am not sure that LEGO would add a fourth major in-house theme to their lineup (if so, pleasebespacepleasebespacepleasebespace). Good point about Zelda, though. 👍

The four “orange” sets immediately follow last year’s Avatar sets, so they kinda have to be licensed as well. Licensed and in-house set numbers usually don’t mix :laugh: Also, only four sets to kick off a new in-house theme? No way.

Transformers One is certainly an option I hadn’t thought of before! After all, we still need to find out what this year’s rumoured movie tie-in themes are gonna be, and this could be a candidate! :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Sadly 'Orange' ended up being Despicable Me 4

I don't actually think this is a sad thing for transformers fans. The transformers rumors didn't start with orange, TandNbricks- a leaker on instragram- made some sort of teaser post- alongside things we know are coming (Barad-Dur, Batman The Animated Series sets, etc), and things that have been heavily rumored (lego fortnite sets, sonic 3 sets), with a clip of a lego optimus prime (Not the official set, it's a render of someone's MOC aiming ion blasters at the screen)

This just makes it more likely the next transformer will be another icons set (Again, likely Bee, Megatron, or Soundwave) as opposed to four non-transforming SCCBS figs.

Honestly I’m glad they don’t make more Transformers sets, just saving my wallet. But at the same time, it’s a real shame 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Honestly I’m glad they don’t make more Transformers sets, just saving my wallet. But at the same time, it’s a real shame 

Luckily (but unluckily for your- and my- wallet), there is more lego transformers coming. Like I said, a fairly reliable source hinted pretty heavily at it. No leaks ever pointed to the set(s) being the ones codenamed orange, that was purely speculation from this thread. It's just likely going to be an icons set and not some weird non-transforming stuff based on transformers one. 

Edited by Mandalorianknight

On 1/5/2024 at 2:08 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Luckily (but unluckily for your- and my- wallet), there is more lego transformers coming. Like I said, a fairly reliable source hinted pretty heavily at it. No leaks ever pointed to the set(s) being the ones codenamed orange, that was purely speculation from this thread. It's just likely going to be an icons set and not some weird non-transforming stuff based on transformers one. 

Really??? I hope it'll be Beast Wars!

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

Really??? I hope it'll be Beast Wars!

Yup! More transformers is coming!

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see any beast wars stuff for some time. For one thing, the best time to do that would have been last year for Rise of the Beasts. But in general, it suffers from two major roadblocks- the relevance of the characters and the complexity of the transformation. The G1 characters are far and away more popular than beast wars, so I think we'd see most of the original G1 cast before Primal or Dinobot. Not just because they're more iconic, but because the G1 characters are blocky and have simpler transformations- which is exactly what lego needs. It's a lot easier for lego to make a geometric robot that transforms into a truck or car or plane than it is a much more rounded one that turns into a velociraptor or gorilla.

20 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yup! More transformers is coming!

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see any beast wars stuff for some time. For one thing, the best time to do that would have been last year for Rise of the Beasts. But in general, it suffers from two major roadblocks- the relevance of the characters and the complexity of the transformation. The G1 characters are far and away more popular than beast wars, so I think we'd see most of the original G1 cast before Primal or Dinobot. Not just because they're more iconic, but because the G1 characters are blocky and have simpler transformations- which is exactly what lego needs. It's a lot easier for lego to make a geometric robot that transforms into a truck or car or plane than it is a much more rounded one that turns into a velociraptor or gorilla.

Excellent, yeeeeeesssssssss!!

whos the source on more sets? would love a bumblebee to go with my prime at a cheaper pricepoint, but I could also see them maybe doing megatron next

15 minutes ago, Surge said:

whos the source on more sets? would love a bumblebee to go with my prime at a cheaper pricepoint, but I could also see them maybe doing megatron next

TandNbricks- a leaker on instragram who seems to be somewhat reputable. 

4 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Excellent, yeeeeeesssssssss!!

Now that's just Prime.

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

TandNbricks- a leaker on instragram who seems to be somewhat reputable. 

I'm familiar with that user, and I look forward to seeing info on more LEGO Transformers sets!

Since it's worth waiting for Transformers, when can we expect new sets?

How about Optimus Prime's trailer, since they forgot to do that last time? :laugh:

It needs to be iconic (or it won't sell enough to warrant more), so that means the likes of Bumblebee, Megatron, Soundwave. Megatron is obviously an issue, since TLG will not make a pistol, sniper rifle or tank. (The tank is not really iconic either.) A Megatron release would be strange with something other than the iconic G1 mode. But I wonder if a Galvatron plasma cannon mode would work for him? TLG have no problem with ancient or futuristic weapons, it's only present-era stuff they won't do. Getting a Megatron robot to fold into a Galvatron cannon might be a challenge... :look: :grin: Bumblebee would work as a VW Beetle or something from the movies, they're recognisable enough. They can't just pump out Autobots though, so if there's a Bumblebee there needs to be a Decepticon at some point. Soundwave is probably the go, or *shudder* Starscream. Devastator would be so cool!

On 1/5/2024 at 2:08 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Darn it, my wallet. Won’t forgive me for getting more Transformer sets.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:08 AM, Artanis I said:

How about Optimus Prime's trailer, since they forgot to do that last time? :laugh:

Convoy%201.png

I'd be a little annoyed TBH, since that one's pretty easy to MOC. Actually, for that matter (in spoiler for space):

Spoiler

Black%20Convoy.png

Nova%20Prime.png

Nova%20Prime%202.png

Any sort of optimus variant would be easy to do. I want Megs, Bee, Soundwave, Starscream, etc.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:03 AM, oxy220 said:

Since it's worth waiting for Transformers, when can we expect new sets?

TandNbricks didn't hint at any sort of date besides just general 2024, so sometime this year.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:28 AM, Lion King said:

Darn it, my wallet. Won’t forgive me for getting more Transformer sets.

Same here- if they're scaled with optimus, anything more than Ravage or Laserbeaks's gonna hit our wallets hard and fast.

I'm guessing one of these new codenames may be for Transformers. So we should keep an eye on them just to be safe.

Bright:

Bright has four figures which would fit for Orion (Optimus), D-16 (Megatron), Elita and Bumblebee.

Buffalo:

Buffalo has two figures, which would could also work if they only intended to adapt Orion (Optimus) and D-16 (Megatron) due to them presumably being the focus of the movie.

Edited by Scarilian

4 hours ago, Scarilian said:

I'm guessing one of these new codenames may be for Transformers. So we should keep an eye on them just to be safe.

Unfortunately, from what I've heard, while these are both licensed, they're also both aimed at girls, and one is a netflix property. I know Elita's actually been getting some focus over the past 5 years or so, but I still can't see anyone at lego marketing transformers as a theme aimed at girls.

I still think we're getting Icons Megatron/Bumblebee/Soundwave, but we'll see. I'd be happy to be wrong about it continuing under the Icons theme- if it becomes it's own theme, that would imply much more is on the way- but I do truly hope it's not transformers one focused, both for my personal preference and because I think Transformers's best bet is G1 sets. (Most iconic designs, translate easiest to lego form, actually transform, and the designs show up in plenty of newer media, like the WFC trilogy or Skybound comic)

Edited by Mandalorianknight