Clone OPatra

Jurassic World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

16 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

What are the best dinosaurs we get so far since 2015?

For me, it’s Quetalcoatlus, Indrominus Rex (from 2020), Gallimimus (from 2020), Pyroraptor.

I think the Ankylosaurus was the best herbivore comeback since 2012

2 hours ago, StegoLover said:

Yeah I like it, the colours look nice on it, the only weird part about it would probably be the hollow head lol

I only own one set - Quetalcoatlus and plane. I modded the plane into a bigger, proper "Boxcar" airplane. Dino is great.

I also think the Ankylosaurus looked really great from reviews. The flexible tail and rubber spikes make it look much more alive.

I even apprechiated the build! It looked quite substantial and useful for many settings. Almost got the set when I found it on sale but then I saw the big grey Dino had no hand articulation anymore (the first, white version did have) - and when I dislike one thing from TLG, it is this kind of downgrading.

Otherwise I feel like I'm pretty alone in liking the thew spring green T-Rex. If I ever find the set on sale for no more then 30€, I will get it just for the T-Rex. I think it has a very unique colour scheme and considering Dinos probably looked completely different from what we think (much more fat and "hairy") at least this one looks more like a colour scheme you'd find in nature.

1 hour ago, AxolotlPlays said:

Yeah I like it, the colours look nice on it, the only weird part about it would probably be the hollow head lol

Yeah true, I hope that if the theme continues they make an adult Anky of Bumpy next year and modificate it a bit so he has a broken horn and the head could be a seperate piece from the body

38 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Otherwise I feel like I'm pretty alone in liking the thew spring green T-Rex. If I ever find the set on sale for no more then 30€, I will get it just for the T-Rex. I think it has a very unique colour scheme and considering Dinos probably looked completely different from what we think (much more fat and "hairy") at least this one looks more like a colour scheme you'd find in nature.

I'm not a big fan of the colors from that T. Rex, because the colors look a bit unnatural and too bright on him, but that's after all just my personal opinion, I'd buy this set only for the figs.

Edited by StegoLover

8 minutes ago, StegoLover said:

Yeah true, I hope that if the theme continues they make an adult Anky of Bumpy next year and modificate it a bit so he has a broken horn and the head could be a seperate piece from the body

I'm not a big fan of the colors from that T. Rex, because the colors look a bit unnatural and too bright on him, but that's after all just my personal opinion, I'd buy this set only for the figs.

Spring green is a quite natural colour for reptiles and birds!

One issue is how "clean" bright colours look in plastic. In reality colours are less clean and consistent. Every Lego hairpiece between blond and brown (brunet, dark/dirty blond and brown as well as orangish) is not capturing the essence of what the hair actually looks like for many people. Therefore we have debates about the choice of Thors, Iron Mans, Obi Wans or Anakins hair colours.

Another issue is wrong representation in media: from what we think to know tan, dark tan, brown and greenish colours are colours that would have made sense in dinos. Tan and brown mix with reptiles and birds but it's less likely green and brown/carmine were mixing due to what we know of colours within birds and reptiles.

...meaning the "Dino" theme using the molds we still use today had some popular colour schemes that likely are impossible according to our knowledge of color theory and observation of modern animals :sweet:

.....all to say; for me the spring green T-Rex and the 2 more recent tan/dark tan/brown T-Rex look more authentic though of course we really don't know much..

15 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Spring green is a quite natural colour for reptiles and birds!

One issue is how "clean" bright colours look in plastic. In reality colours are less clean and consistent.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say in that direction, but the colors should have been a bit more 'faded out' to my taste, just like the Baryonyx from last year

17 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Another issue is wrong representation in media: from what we think to know tan, dark tan, brown and greenish colours are colours that would have made sense in dinos.

And grey was also one of most common colors among dinosaurs.

10 hours ago, AxolotlPlays said:

Umm, i dont know. By best do you mean accurate to its film appearance? And also 'since 2015', so can we list reprints from the lego dino line? And also by best would you include posability?

I would probably say same for all but swap maybe indominus for atrociraptor

Sure…accurate, reprint, recolored, possibility, new mold, whatever you can think - I really don’t care. It’s just your favorite dinosaurs.

Ah yes, I think Atociraptors are aweome!

5 hours ago, StegoLover said:

Agreed - I know we have Triceratops from 2019 and 2022 but Ankylosaurus is definitley the best herbivore - its colors, it’s swinging tail.

“Unatural”? How come? Quetzalcoatlus’ colors are unatural and bright too. 

! just don’t care about “unatural” colorrs - it’s really cool to have dinosaurs in a wide range of colors, in my opinion. 

We have no idea what dinosaurs’ “true” colors look like 65 mya.

19 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

They definitely weren't Zombie green. It looks like a glow-in-the-dark bracelet.

Honestly, unless there is recent data, that I don't know about, we absolutely have no clue about colors, skin texture and many other things are totally unknown and very well could have been zombie green, lol. Not even really sure what they looked like at all, only reasonable approximations.

However I do find this years offerings, color wise, to be some of the best to date, I think for the most part they look pretty good. Love the Quetzalcoatlus but not very happy with the Triceratops, print colors suffer greatly from bleed through of background colors. The rest are decent enough.

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Sure…accurate, reprint, recolored, possibility, new mold, whatever you can think - I really don’t care. It’s just your favorite dinosaurs.

Ah yes, I think Atociraptors are aweome!

Agreed - I know we have Triceratops from 2019 and 2022 but Ankylosaurus is definitley the best herbivore - its colors, it’s swinging tail.

“Unatural”? How come? Quetzalcoatlus’ colors are unatural and bright too. 

! just don’t care about “unatural” colorrs - it’s really cool to have dinosaurs in a wide range of colors, in my opinion. 

Yes and no. We don't know but the task of science is anyway to try to understand better. For example to analyze fossils with all kinds of instruments and methods, observe modern animals closer related to dinosaurs, understand the general nature of colours and so on. As said there are some colours very unlikely to appear in combination in nature and to related animals. Some of those colour combinations appeared with very prominent Dinos though, because Hollywood thought "that's how a Dino (toy) should look". Looking at several reptiles and birds in person instead of through the filter of movies enables us to say at least: spring green belly and olive green top would make more sense then many iterations so far! Which doesn't say white-brown would make less sense.

Of course this depends on HOW we perceive colour: Ironically some Hollywood dinos are more colourful by design/concept art but appear dark (brownish-greyish) through the dark filter (to look more realistic and hide issues with animation). With real animals it's the opposite way around: Technically related animals would appear MORE green, red or orange than they are. Having spent a lot of time in nature I prefer the depictions to be more colourful, as they are looking colourful in nature as well. This is a thing of perception and preference of course. After all the proportions are fictional anyway - but who what kids want fat dinos?

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Honestly, unless there is recent data, that I don't know about, we absolutely have no clue about colors, skin texture and many other things are totally unknown and very well could have been zombie green, lol. Not even really sure what they looked like at all, only reasonable approximations.

However I do find this years offerings, color wise, to be some of the best to date, I think for the most part they look pretty good. Love the Quetzalcoatlus but not very happy with the Triceratops, print colors suffer greatly from bleed through of background colors. The rest are decent enough.

100% agree

5 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

They definitely weren't Zombie green. It looks like a glow-in-the-dark bracelet.

Literally this. It makes him kinda look like a bootleg

16 hours ago, StegoLover said:

Bumpy the Ankylosaurus had an asymmetrical horn, but honestly, I doubt they would change the entire mold to have a tiny little detail most people wouldn't even notice, just look at the baby Bumpy they made in the Camp Cretaceous wave last year, its the exact same mold as the one that came in 2020.

Nature is extremely colourful, its very surreal, but its reality.

13 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I believe we have some skin impressions discovered, but yes, as far as what they actually looked like, we have no idea haha. Which sucks because I would love to know more about prehistory, though I guess what's not preserved fuels the mystery of palaeontology

8 hours ago, AxolotlPlays said:

Bumpy the Ankylosaurus had an asymmetrical horn, but honestly, I doubt they would change the entire mold to have a tiny little detail most people wouldn't even notice, just look at the baby B

Nature is extremely colourful, its very surreal, but its reality.

I believe we have some skin impressions discovered, but yes, as far as what they actually looked like, we have no idea haha. Which sucks because I would love to know more about prehistory, though I guess what's not preserved fuels the mystery of palaeontology

Exactly about nature being so colorful.

Yeah, I did hear about skin impressions, including feathers. you kinda have a pun - you said “what’s not preserved fuels” - fossil fuels. 

19 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Exactly about nature being so colorful.

Yeah, I did hear about skin impressions, including feathers. you kinda have a pun - you said “what’s not preserved fuels” - fossil fuels. 

It is beautiful

I hadn't realised that lol

Poor little Archaeopteryx, yeah, they look like feather impressions to me lol

Archaeopteryx in London | Dinosaurs | The Guardian

Picked up 76948 and 76945 yesterday, as they go together. Something I find odd and rather short sighted to be honest, is the fact that you get the exact same mini-figures in 76948 that are in 76945, Owen and Rainn. At least they could have used a different variant. My Owen Grady collection is starting to rival my batman collection, some other characters would be most welcome.

23 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Picked up 76948 and 76945 yesterday, as they go together. Something I find odd and rather short sighted to be honest, is the fact that you get the exact same mini-figures in 76948 that are in 76945, Owen and Rainn. At least they could have used a different variant. My Owen Grady collection is starting to rival my batman collection, some other characters would be most welcome.

Yeah, they should've at least put a minifig in the smaller set that wasn't in the big one. Atleast Owen isn't included in all of the sets, apart from the last 3 years :hmpf:

Also, you could add the new polybag to those two sets so it kinda looks like a 'market-place'.

Edited by StegoLover

One of those sets should have swapped one of the Owens or Rainns for Barry, in the trailer he is standing among the Atrociraptors 

6 hours ago, StegoLover said:

Also, you could add the new polybag to those two sets so it kinda looks like a 'market-place'.

Yes, exactly what I did, a dinosaur market actually, lol. It is cool, the skeleton on the bench, in set 76948, can only be completed by purchasing 76945, which has the skull portion.

9 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Yes, exactly what I did, a dinosaur market actually, lol. It is cool, the skeleton on the bench, in set 76948, can only be completed by purchasing 76945, which has the skull portion.

You could also use the skull from 76949, though I'm not sure what species you would get lol

10 hours ago, AxolotlPlays said:

You could also use the skull from 76949, though I'm not sure what species you would get lol

A skull? Where did you see that?

8 hours ago, StegoLover said:

A skull? Where did you see that?

On the top floor, on the far right when looking at the back of the box's main image.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:54 AM, StegoLover said:

I 100% agree with this, it's the best new dino mold imo but Ankylosaurus is also my favorite dinosaur so I'm a bit biased.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:57 AM, AxolotlPlays said:

The hollow head is definitely the worst part about it, I feel like there could have been a better comrpomise.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:32 AM, StegoLover said:

I really, really want an adult Bumpy from this mold! Honestly I don't expect them to remold the whole piece just for the horn though, and realistically they probably won't. I'll just be happy with a remold in teal with new face printing.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:15 PM, AxolotlPlays said:

Bumpy the Ankylosaurus had an asymmetrical horn, but honestly, I doubt they would change the entire mold to have a tiny little detail most people wouldn't even notice, just look at the baby Bumpy they made in the Camp Cretaceous wave last year, its the exact same mold as the one that came in 2020.

Yeah I agree and honestly I'm totally fine with that. We know by now how LEGO likes to reuse dino molds whenever possible and this would certainly be the least egregious thing they could do. It would be a lot of expense and effort on their part just to create a new mold with one horn slightly smaller.

On 5/7/2022 at 5:55 AM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I also think the Ankylosaurus looked really great from reviews. The flexible tail and rubber spikes make it look much more alive.

I really love how they did the Ankylosaurus and the tail swinging feature is so simple yet so addicting! The rubbery-ness of the tail was a necessary safety feature but I definitely agree that it makes it feel more natural. The way the Anky was designed and built was really smart too, they could very easily use a similar setup for a future Stegosaurus.