Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

Here are my thoughts on the figures so far:

-Doctor Strange himself will likely be identical to the one from the Gargantos set which I just built last night actually. (Phenomenal set in my opinion.) The figure itself is great, I just don’t like how Lego has changed the hairpiece from the one used in the IW Sanctum. That was a perfect hairpiece for Doctor Strange but for the NWH/MoM figures, they’ve changed it again to a very overused hairpiece, especially for licensed male characters.

-Meanwhile Sinister Strange actually does that Series 16 Dog Show Winner’s hairpiece. I think the figure looks pretty good, no complaints here.

-I think that new Wong figure is a massive step down compared to the Bricktober figure. I agree that that face doesn’t really look like Wong and it’s being used in like three sets now. I don’t agree with making his IW figure bald as he was only really bald in the first Doctor Strange film. He should just have short hair here.

-I feel the same way about Ebony Maw. I think the skin color is a tad more accurate than the 2018 one but overall, it’s a far worse figure.

-Despite not being super accurate to the film, I do like the Zombie Strange figure. It’s a solid design with good detailing and the face details are consistent with Zombie Cap from What If? 

-Somehow the updated Stark Suit Spidey seems to be the standout figure in a Doctor Strange set, so far anyway. The previous Stark Suit Spidey was already a phenomenal figure but this one improves on the detailing and the blue used here is far superior. It bugged me that the previous Stark Suit and the 2018 Iron Spider suit use the same shade of blue when the latter suit should look darker than the other one. I feel like Lego keeps outdoing themselves with their Spider-Man figures and this is another amazing one. (Pun intended.)

Overall, the figures seem like a mixed bag so far. Hopefully Scarlet Witch looks really good at least. A little disappointing for a set of this size, and also because we likely won’t get any other MoM sets for a while, but I still have high hopes for the set itself.

After looking up photos of Defender Strange, it actually does look like his costume in the film is blue

defender-strange.jpg?auto=webp&width=125

Though other merchandise (Legends, Funko) definitely give it as black, but are all based on the below design, which is clearly different from the film's final version

actor-benedict-cumberbatch-363555_large.

15 hours ago, SEmrys said:

Looking at the zombie Strange I think I might have actually preferred his regular, Defender Strange look. 

I agree. Ignoring the whole 'zombie' element, Defender's costume is certainly more vibrant and interesting than Sinister's. Would've been cool to have the option to swap parts to make Zombie Strange, or even two separate figures with a feature atop the Sanctum to bury Defender's body, then have the Zombie rise

10 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Same with the white streaks.

Still cool we're getting another zombie figure alongside Zombie Cap, even if the former isn't from that universe.

Might just be me, but I kind of wish it was the same head colour as Cap

9 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Has anyone ever tried the newer Falcon hair piece on Wong, or seen pictures of it? The photos of the actor someone put up here showed that even the hairpiece that is used for him is too long really

3 examples from Instagram herehere, and here.

I feel like the bald look might be best unless they find another solution somehow.

4 hours ago, Quicksilver838 said:

I agree. Ignoring the whole 'zombie' element, Defender's costume is certainly more vibrant and interesting than Sinister's. Would've been cool to have the option to swap parts to make Zombie Strange, or even two separate figures with a feature atop the Sanctum to bury Defender's body, then have the Zombie rise

Ah yes, my favorite lego play feature, burying and reanimating a corpse.

Actually, that may be why zombie strange looks off. It might be that even in a D2C, lego feels they can't do a "realistic" zombie.

57 minutes ago, Legocity2713 said:

3 examples from Instagram herehere, and here.

I feel like the bald look might be best unless they find another solution somehow.

I don't know. I think at least having his head be covered in black would be better than completely bald. Maybe they could do what they used to do with some sports guys and paint the top of the head black for hair?

Like this guy: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3626bpb0165&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

After looking at some pictures of Zombie Strange, it looks like a lot of toy companies made him grey

dead-strange_marvel_gallery_629914b9b2b8

Okay, so this is supposed to be shown at Lego Con.

Meaning it will probably leak earlier, can't wait :devil:

I’m really doubting the existence of the Hulkbuster at this point. It’s been rumored for far longer and was supposedly coming this summer, and yet the Sanctum, an August release, is getting revealed first.

We also have the $500 set supposed to be coming out this fall. Which for that set, I find it weird that they’ll be releasing two Marvel D2Cs within three months of each other (let alone three if the Hulkbuster is coming), though stranger things have happened. I think Star Wars released three D2Cs last year and they were all about three months apart so I guess there is a precedence.

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

I’m really doubting the existence of the Hulkbuster at this point. It’s been rumored for far longer and was supposedly coming this summer, and yet the Sanctum, an August release, is getting revealed first.

We also have the $500 set supposed to be coming out this fall. Which for that set, I find it weird that they’ll be releasing two Marvel D2Cs within three months of each other (let alone three if the Hulkbuster is coming), though stranger things have happened. I think Star Wars released three D2Cs last year and they were all about three months apart so I guess there is a precedence.

The circumstances around the D2Cs this year have certainly been very strange. I still think they're probably all real, but if I were to doubt any of them it would be the $500; it just seems a little hard to believe when we haven't heard about it in months, and have absolutely no idea what it is.

Love that Stark suit Spidey. Even though the original version was great, this is just miles above and looks so much better. Still a little disappointed that it's not an updated MCU Iron Spider (which is desperately needed), but maybe that will come at a later date.

Zombie Strange is okay. I feel like the skin tone should have been a shade of tan, something like the taxi driver ghost from the GB Firehouse. Has there been any word on whether he will have the black demon arms? If not, I'll have to make some myself.

Honestly I'm a little disappointed that there's no Ancient One. The 2016 minifig never seemed quite right to me, and the Sanctum is really the only place that would make sense to redo her.

2 hours ago, The Stud said:

Same. We've beard a single rumour seven months ago, and then nothing.

They wouldn't release three Marvel D2Cs in a span of five months.

The Hulkbuster could have switched years like the back to the future set which was supposed to come out last year but I’m still very positive the Hulkbuster will come at some point 

Edited by Falconfan1414

6 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

They wouldn't release three Marvel D2Cs in a span of five months.

Is the Sanctum even a D2C set? I thought it wasn’t because the general release date is August 1st. If it was, it’d be available at retailers in November at the earliest, wouldn’t it? :shrug_oh_well:

14 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Okay, so this is supposed to be shown at Lego Con.

Meaning it will probably leak earlier, can't wait :devil:

Have to agree, no way this makes it to the 18th without an early pic leaking!

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Is the Sanctum even a D2C set? I thought it wasn’t because the general release date is August 1st. If it was, it’d be available at retailers in November at the earliest, wouldn’t it? :shrug_oh_well:

I can't recall a single instance of a $199.99 USD or above set not being a D2C, regardless of release date (It's possible there's a technic one, as I really don't follow technic, but I can't think of a single system one). It's possible this will be the first, I suppose.

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Good point. I always think of 200€+ sets as D2Cs, but it might actually not be one with a wider availability.

5 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Good point. I always think of 200€+ sets as D2Cs, but it might actually not be one with a wider availability.

Unless that retailer got the wrong date in the first place :shrug_oh_well: Not sure how likely that is though.

Also, shouldn’t we soon hear about the remaining sets scheduled for August? Unless they’re all based on upcoming DC films and thus got delayed :laugh_hard:

From my understanding/resources the Sanctum is a regular release and not D2C. Although everything is a mess right now with setnumbers and releasedates so it could have changed. I know for certain that it was intended as a regular release in the first place. We will find out in a few weeks either way. 

54 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Unless that retailer got the wrong date in the first place :shrug_oh_well: Not sure how likely that is though.

Also, shouldn’t we soon hear about the remaining sets scheduled for August? Unless they’re all based on upcoming DC films and thus got delayed :laugh_hard:

There's just one set left for August tho, the 4+ one (76220).

Then there's three September ones (76225, 76226, 76230), and two set numbers without release dates (76222, 76224).

Those are the only remaining 2022 sets we know nothing about.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Those are the only remaining 2022 sets we know nothing about.

I think they’re even the only entirely unknown 2022 sets for any theme :laugh: For almost everything else we have vague rumours (UCS Razor Crest, GOTG AC), detailed descriptions (Sanctum, Avatar, Atari, Star Wars), or leaked pictures now (Minecraft).

Those sets are the only remaining mystery this year

Regarding the Sanctum's D2C status, that probably doesn't change anything aside from the release date, right? From Lego's perspective, it's still a $250 set that could be competing with other large Marvel releases this year if they come out to close to each other. To me at least, the D2C moniker seems sort of arbitrary, and not really indicative of anything other than where and when a set will be sold.

10 minutes ago, Meadius said:

Regarding the Sanctum's D2C status, that probably doesn't change anything aside from the release date, right? From Lego's perspective, it's still a $250 set that could be competing with other large Marvel releases this year if they come out to close to each other. To me at least, the D2C moniker seems sort of arbitrary, and not really indicative of anything other than where and when a set will be sold.

Regular sets are usually 20% off on the release date on almost any retailer here in the EU. If you can wait a few months then you can even get a better deal. For D2C sets (non-car builds as those seem to be always on discount) it's always hoping to get some discount after some time.