Sign in to follow this  
SeaKing61

MOC: Mk1 BCK Chocolate & Cream

Just wanted to share my latest project, a mk1 BCK (brake composite corridor) coach in GWR/BR chocolate and cream livery. This follows on from the techniques I developed for my Mk1 Inspection Coach. I wanted to develop a more general coach and make use of the 5 tan train windows from the Emerald Night coach.

51736743157_293ff01a50_c.jpgNon-Corridor/Toilet Side View by Laurie Bennett, on Flickr

The compartment side of the coach which has 2 extra windows for the toilets.

51737563296_f7fd111d5a_c.jpgCorridor Side View by Laurie Bennett, on Flickr

Corridor Side. Yellow stripe indicates mk1 compartments

51738454980_2e0a1e9d63_c.jpgCommonwealth Bogie by Laurie Bennett, on Flickr

Commonwealth bogie I developed for this model.

51737563246_6c0e65257b_c.jpgCompartment Details by Laurie Bennett, on Flickr

Compartments. Tables aren't entirely prototypical but they cover some of the structural detail. Blue moquette for first class and red for standard. There is no interior on the toilets or guard section due to the need for structural strength.

Thanks for looking

Laurie

Very nice! It really shows that with newer parts more realistic models can be designed / created.

3 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Very nice! Love the use of dark brown chairs to get that roundness of body. 

Thank you, it took a lot of experimenting to get the top of the chair to line up with the 8-wide window section.

49670669158_8a1d42e508_c.jpgLego DB999508 by Laurie Bennett, on Flickr

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

Very nice! It really shows that with newer parts more realistic models can be designed / created.

Thanks. I was aiming for a slightly larger scale but as realistic as possible. 

Thanks all

Laurie

Thank you. I need to get some more pictures of the end and gangways but it is tricky taking pictures of the all-black construction

Thanks

Laurie

Spot on. This is a well designed Mk1 carriage. All the details are here externally, and the inside is fairly function too from what I can tell. Kudos.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Spot on. This is a well designed Mk1 carriage. All the details are here externally, and the inside is fairly function too from what I can tell. Kudos.

Thank you. I was very pleased to be able to include the compartments inside

Laurie

Well done, Laurie. That's an excellent rendition of the ubiquitous Mk1 coach. The technique for the lower bodyside if very good and gives a nice gentle curve very reminiscent of the real thing.

If I had to nit-pick it would just be that the size of the LEGO train window is perhaps a wee bit small at this scale. A brick-and-plate alternative may look a bit rough and ready close up, but I wonder if it might be acceptable at normal viewing distances and yield better proportions.

Yes I agree about the windows. I find it looks okay alone but when compared to a picture of the real thing it is extremely obvious. 

I may try brick built windows in a future project. As with any model it is a compromise. Thank you for your kind words

Laurie