Megbricks

Lego colors - coming and going

Hey! I just noticed a rumour that points to a new solid color on the way for 2022. I was wondering what you guys thought about it. I am very excited about it. 

i also remember reading in a comment somewhere that the “new” coral color could be going away in 2022.. anyone remembers seeing this too? I think it was on IG

finally I just want to say that I really like all the opalescent variants of current colors. The blue one from the small Disney castle is amazing. 

What would you think about if new colors beeing introduced would last only for a few years? I remember reading a rule about how it was often : one color coming, one going with lego. It’s very understandable given all the space a new color takes in the warehouses. 

i am all for new colors staying available only a few years or on rotation but please Lego. At least make available to the general public the 2x4 in each color:) I am still waiting for the coral 2x4:) I’ve seen in store in the llama (vidiyo) mega figure but we need to be able to get it too!!! Especially if it exists. :)

please

please:)

Phew - not my business ... I just see bubbles:

VZVO24m.png

So what ever they figure out as new color: Red, yellow, green, blue, black, grey and white it is for me ;))

Best regards,
Thorsten

7 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Phew - not my business ... I just see bubbles:

So what ever they figure out as new color: Red, yellow, green, blue, black, grey and white it is for me ;))

Best regards,
Thorsten

so you are deuteranope then? One of the classes I teach is color perception. Well if you are deuteranope I think that you definitely wouldn’t really notice the subtlety of this new shade. 

it seems interesting. Maybe the difference between the rumoured new color and the existing ones will be greater in person. We’ll see:)

Edited by Megbricks

I read some rumours of transparent neon orange going out of production ,  Monkie Kid doesn't use it in 2021 sets while it was heavily used in the 2020 sets (and Nexo Knights mainly from 2016-2018).

I believe the last transparent neon orange part was this ice star in Story of Nian.

6334135.jpg

I do think a new solid neon yellow, has potential, for example City emergency vehicles, or nice contrast color.

As for Coral, I hope it stays, as it's lovely and bright, almost like an inbetween to a neon orange and pink, but not many other solid colors are quite as bright in daylight

Edited by TeriXeri

10 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I read some rumours of transparent neon orange going out of production ,  Monkie Kid doesn't use it in 2021 sets while it was heavily used in the 2020 sets (and Nexo Knights mainly from 2016-2018).

I believe the last transparent neon orange part was this ice star in Story of Nian.

I do think a new solid neon yellow, has potential, for example City emergency vehicles, or nice contrast color.

As for Coral, I hope it stays, as it's lovely and bright, almost like an inbetween to a neon orange and pink, but not many other solid colors are quite as bright in daylight

Oh! I still need some of these pieces. I better hurry then just in case

On 11/4/2021 at 11:39 PM, Megbricks said:

I am still waiting for the coral 2x4

Huh? https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3020&in=S&colorID=220&ov=Y I bought three from the sets listed there and have a whopping 10 such plates.

i also remember reading in a comment somewhere that the “new” coral color could be going away in 2022.

Why would they do that? They just announced the leaf element (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32607#T=C) in Coral in one of the "Encanto" book sets. And of course it's likely that they'll keep using it as "Day Glo Orange" for rescue vehicles in Friends, City and so on. Such rumors make zero sense.

What would you think about if new colors being introduced would last only for a few years?

Again, makes zero sense. Sure, LEGO went overboard with this in the 1990s and early 2000s and got burned, but these days one would have to assume that whenever they introduce a new color, they have a long-term plan. That's most definitely true for Dark Turquoise, which is now being used regularly (almost too much again already) and it certainly applies to Coral as well. Therefore if they decide to introduce yet another color, it's definitely going to stick around. And you have to see it from a practical standpoint as well: Why would they navigate themselves into a corner by not producing sufficient quantities of elements in a given color or being unable to do re-issues of sets a few years later? They're certainly not going to invest two years or whatever into researching a new color - from how it would integrate with other colors to how people like it to its chemical properties and production prerequisites - to phase it out after only a few product cycles. Similarly, the logistics with their suppliers would be affected. Sure, they can easily buy 50 tons of pigment X on the market, use up every bit and forget about it, but where is that even logical?

I remember reading a rule about how it was often : one color coming, one going with lego. It’s very understandable given all the space a new color takes in the warehouses.

Not really. Coatings like Metallic Gold, Metallic Silver, your beloved pearlescent effect, Glow-in-the-Dark White, glitter inlays and so on would technically constitute new colors, anyway. They have their own item numbers and SKUs as well as their own shelves in whatever warehouses. It's not like they are pulling out a "plain" Trans Medium Blue piece and throw it into the tumbler when they need a fake waterfall for a Friends set. This is stock produced in mass production runs. And in the year 2021 with computers managing all this, anyway, who cares? If you run out of space, just build another warehouse with fancy automatic/ robotic storage units.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:24 AM, TeriXeri said:

I read some rumours of transparent neon orange going out of production

Possible, but if it does than most likely not for the reasons alluded to by the OP such as one color needing to go in favor of another. I consider it more likely that they're having issues with the fluorescent pigments or something like that.

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium
Fixed typos

1 hour ago, Mylenium said:

Huhhttps://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3020&in=S&colorID=220&ov=Y I bought three from the sets listed there and have a whopping 10 such plates.

19 hours ago, Megbricks said:

I meant 2x4 brick:) 

1 hour ago, Mylenium said:

And in the year 2021 with computers managing all this, anyway, who cares? If you run out of space, just build another warehouse with fancy automatic/ robotic storage units.

17 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

True

In my humble opinion, I think that LEGO has far too many colours on its palette. Worse, they make not all the parts in the colour in question. Not even the basic bricks, so it will never be possible to build a MOC in pink, for instance, or another ‘exotic’ colour.

More annoying is the short period that they produce certain parts in the “normal” colours like red, tan, grey and the like.

For example, the 2339 Arch 1 x 5 x 4 - Continuous Bow Red, and the 3684a and Slope 75 2 x 2 x 3 - Hollow Studs Tan, are hard to come by because LEGO doesn’t produce them anymore.

And I need lots of them.

Or I can’t finish my last MOC. Not a disaster, of course, but annoying it is..

5 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Yeah, I figured that later in the day. ;-)

Mylenium

:)

a new (I believe) opalescent white/clear will be used as the ice in the new Chinese New Year sets!! I need to star buying new color bins:)

2 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

In my humble opinion, I think that LEGO has far too many colours on its palette. Worse, they make not all the parts in the colour in question. Not even the basic bricks, so it will never be possible to build a MOC in pink, for instance, or another ‘exotic’ colour.

More annoying is the short period that they produce certain parts in the “normal” colours like red, tan, grey and the like.

I understand your point of view and share parts of it. I would looove to get even more new colors. But I do think that we would need to have a set a basic (and not so basic) bricks in each color. 

everytime I fill out a survey from lego about products, I make the comment that color part packs would be great. Even if they don’t offer them forever. If they’ve been done, they can be found later. 

lots of colors of 2x4 bricks are made for large models for example. It would be nice for us to have access to these through bricks and pieces for example. 

It would be nice to get some sort of commitment to more architectural colours. Very light grey (limestone, marble, etc) and sand red (brick and darker sandstone) would be really helpful and also filling out gaps in sand green (copper, great for statues and roofs). Any others? These colours have been in the built environment for centuries and are not going away any time soon.

6 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

It would be nice to get some sort of commitment to more architectural colours. Very light grey (limestone, marble, etc) and sand red (brick and darker sandstone) would be really helpful and also filling out gaps in sand green (copper, great for statues and roofs). Any others? These colours have been in the built environment for centuries and are not going away any time soon.

These would be really nice. I’d love a return of the warmer grays…

I'd like to see the Classic theme do some larger boxes with color themes, instead of the constant rainbow with only a few part of a color, for example a more earthy color scheme themed box.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I'd like to see the Classic theme do some larger boxes with color themes, instead of the constant rainbow with only a few part of a color, for example a more earthy color scheme themed box.

I had hope last year with transparent bricks box but it ended up with just a few smaller pieces of transparent colors. Your idea is great. There was a pastel theme a few years ago. We need a box of blues browns, reds, all separate. 

22 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

In my humble opinion, I think that LEGO has far too many colours on its palette.

Not really. I often find that there are at least five other ones missing that I would like to see. And it's not like other manufacturers in that field have less colors, even the ones not aping LEGO's color palette. COBI has just as many, with the only real difference being that most of them are different shades of greens, browns and greys for their military models.

22 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Worse, they make not all the parts in the colour in question.

That's perhaps closer to the truth. Regardless on which side you are, the problem is not how many colors there are, but the availability of elements in those colors. Personally I'm not even concerned so much about every brick being available in every color, but more mundane stuff like flower and leaf elements for instance. Really eludes me why LEGO just can't produce a bunch of them and sell "Seasonal Plant Decoration" packs or something like that.

17 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

Absolutely! Bringing back Sand Red and a lighter grey would be very useful. Personally I'd also love to see some real natural greens and perhaps one more shade of brown.

Mylenium

I also like it when the sand red etc., returns. But then all the basic bricks and the less basic bricks such as arches, slopes, etc. And that also counts for the other ‘natural’ colours.

It is not that I don’t want more colours. On the contrary.  But as it is too difficult for TLG to make all the parts in all the colours, then I prefer to choose for lesser colours but a complete set of parts

11 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Really eludes me why LEGO just can't produce a bunch of them and sell "Seasonal Plant Decoration" packs or something like that.

That would be amazing!!!

11 hours ago, Mylenium said:

And it's not like other manufacturers in that field have less colors, even the ones not aping LEGO's color palette. COBI has just as many, with the only real difference being that most of them are different shades of greens, browns and greys for their military models.

I guess I can say that I am a purist BUT I did buy exclusive colors tubes from another brand just to compare with what is available. I am sure if lego did that they would sell plenty. Maybe under the lego classic range…or a new name since there wouldn’t be classic. Maybe the Xtra theme? Anyways hopefully these ideas come to life one day. 

in the meantime let’s appreciate the new colors that are coming out. 

Yep, coloured Classic sets would be really great. If single colour in a box is too much to ask, then how about just a few colours which complement each other nicely, like "monochrome box" with black/white/grays, "water garden box" with various blues and greens, "desert box" with tan, dark tan and various sand-colours and so on.

As for the colours more generally, I think there are too many. Most colours will never be very useful as the parts palette is severely lacking while building with those colours with nice selection of parts gets repetitive quickly. They should choose a certain core colours (maybe two dozen or so) which get a great selection of parts and stick to those, with the rest of the colours being random accents here and there with no intention of having them used more widely. Few things are more frustrating than finding the perfect part to solve your problem and then finding out that it doesn't exist in correct colour (or is very rare and expensive).

On 11/4/2021 at 4:39 PM, Megbricks said:

i also remember reading in a comment somewhere that the “new” coral color could be going away in 2022.. anyone remembers seeing this too? I think it was on IG

What?

Why?

I sure hope it stays.... love that color

And yeah, as others said in this thread, sand red/mauve needs to come back.

Personally, I'd like more shades of purple

image.png.0cf3d8eb620f0f56d4bf84f634ac7fdc.png

5 hours ago, howitzer said:

Yep, coloured Classic sets would be really great. If single colour in a box is too much to ask, then how about just a few colours which complement each other nicely, like "monochrome box" with black/white/grays, "water garden box" with various blues and greens, "desert box" with tan, dark tan and various sand-colours and so on.

Yes please, I would love a box of darks, all are useful colours with frustrating gaps. Dark green and dark brown particularly welcome.

Edited by Tube Map Central
I didn't want my posts merged

5 hours ago, howitzer said:

like "monochrome box" with black/white/grays,

That's my favorite! It could also be the "box for the colorly handicapped (BoCoHa's)" - so white, yellow, red, green, blue, black + light grey + dark gray. They wouldn't even have to care about the "bluish" bit.

:pir-laugh:

Best
Thorsten   

I did a quick study of colour availability via bricklink. Nothing fancy, just the basic parts:

Brick 1x1 1x2 1x3 1x4 1x6 2x2-corner 2x2 2x3 2x4

Plate 1x1 1x2 1x3 1x4 1x6 (didn't think to check the 2x plates, too late now)

Tile 1x1 1x2 1x3 1x4 1x6 

These are the parts I need to build a strong interlocked structure without thinking about it, or with an easy workaround so I don't have to think about it too hard. In other words, the least troublesome colours. Criterion was availability on bricklink, with an average market price not significantly more than 20 pence per unit. These colours passed, they are straightforward to use in a basic build:

Black

Blue

Dark bley

Light bley

Orange

Red

Reddish brown

Tan

White

Yellow

These colours almost passed, at most two basic parts missing or hard to get

Bright light orange - brick 2x3

Dark red - brick 2x3

Green(!) - tile 1x6 

Lime - 2x2 corner

Medium lavender - brick 2x3, plate 1x3

And for the rest of the colours, good luck! Of course, this is even before we get to complexities such as slopes, side studs and clips ...

Edited by Tube Map Central
Typo

27 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

I did a quick study of colour availability via bricklink. Nothing fancy, just the basic parts:

<snip>

And for the rest of the colours, good luck! Of course, this is even before we get to complexities such as slopes, side studs and clips ...

And the story is completely different for Technic, where very few colours have good parts availability. I didn't do any sort of database search, but going by gut feeling these are: black, blue, lime, orange, red, white and yellow. Even most of those have some notable gaps.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:31 AM, Megbricks said:

I had hope last year with transparent bricks box but it ended up with just a few smaller pieces of transparent colors.

Not heard of that one so I took a look ...

What a crazy assortment, shouted at me "we have excess of certain bricks in the warehouse, how can we get rid of them?"

On 11/8/2021 at 1:26 AM, Robert8 said:

What?

Why?

I sure hope it stays.... love that color

And yeah, as others said in this thread, sand red/mauve needs to come back.

Personally, I'd like more shades of purple

Yessss more purple!!! For the coral color, I remember reading somewhere (can’t remember where) someone saying like: according to my contacts coral will be going a au in 2022. 

i can’t recall who it is. It was months ago so I just wanted to know if anyone else read that. It could be on my IG account but I have so many posts hahaha

23 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

Not heard of that one so I took a look ...

What a crazy assortment, shouted at me "we have excess of certain bricks in the warehouse, how can we get rid of them?"

When they announced it I was excepting lots 2x3,2x4,2x2 and 2x1 in transparent colors. That didn’t happen. I would have bought so many boxes.