Sign in to follow this  
Good old Lego builder

Order parts for a MOC or set via bricklink

I have a question: i would like to build a formula 1 car one day.

Specifically: a Ferrari tipo 640.

https://www.roscopc.it/portfolio/ferrari-640/

A lot of the parts I would need to order via Bricklink. But how do you guys do that?

My experience is that I would need to shop at a lot of different sellers. Are there ways around that?

Any tips for big sets like that?

Edited by Good old Lego builder

If you have the partslist you can let Bricklink automatically find the best combination of stores for you. You can even indicate that you only want stores from a specific country or continent.

It is a bit unclear though which algorithm is used to determine what the best combination is.

Rebrickable has a similar service.

To easiest way is to go to the model on Rebrickable and then export the missing parts to a wanted list on Bricklink an let Bricklink find the best combination of stores as described above.

Please let me now if you need a more detailed description of the steps.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-51448/RoscoPC/ferrari-640-f1-89-scale-127/#details

From what I remember Rosco’s F1 cars with a file you can upload into a wish list in your brick link account. From there you can use as people have said bricklinks own tools to find the optimum stores for you.

I have 2 of his F1 cars and a few other large MOCs from other sellers and anyone of good standard should provide a file you can load into brick link or easily edit to make it compatible.

Edited by Seasider

6 minutes ago, Good old Lego builder said:

Thank you Seasider.

How did you like his F1 cars?

I bought the MP4/4 and FW14B (my era of F1). I like both models, they’re big and look great to display but at the moment are away in trays. They’re not easy to build and worth reading a few stages in advance just in case you need to do something clever with the assembly you’re on.

Start with purchasing the rare parts first. It might be that in your country rare parts are not available and have to be bought abroad.
Create multiple carts en see what else the shop has that is in the Ferrari 640 to keep shipping/handling costs as low as possible.
Compare prices between shops and put the cheapest in the cart that you already have for the rare parts.
Also don't forget to check prices on LEGO Bricks & Pieces for the parts that are available there.
It is a lot of work or alternatively just start buying without comparing prices.

I have 14 of the RoscoPC cars, (13 visible here)

13 Historic F1 RoscoPC models, 7 IKEA Detolf

Edited by Berthil

Damn, that's a beautiful collection, Berthil. Did you do the display cases custom?

@Good old Lego builder I just recently ordered a lot of parts from Bricklink. The best thing, in my opinion, is to first narrow the list of stores to just your country (I am in the U.S. so I never ship from Europe, it's too expensive). After this, look up each part and see where it is cheapest. Do your best to limit the number of stores you order from, but sometimes it just isn't possible. Good luck!

10 hours ago, Berthil said:

I have 14 of the RoscoPC cars, (13 visible here)

Wow, that's an amazing collection! :pir-love:

10 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Did you do the display cases custom

These are IKEA Detolf 'displays' with added custom LEDs in LEGO of course :)

For the vertical stands I created free instructions and info cards for the models I have, all for free on Rebrickable.
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-26302/BrickPolis/vertical-stand-roscopc-historical-formula-1-models/

At the moment I am also building the Ferrari 640 but will not be adding a display and just replace one model (without disassembling).