Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2022 Rumours, Leaks, Information And Discussion

As I simply cannot wait to have the bank set in my hands, I took a small comparison of the 'SWAT' truck. Quality is crappy but we can clearly see, how things could look like vs. how things evolved  :)

ME5SLSZ_o.jpg

Edited by fo4saken

1 hour ago, fo4saken said:

As I simply cannot wait to have the bank set in my hands, I took a small comparison of the 'SWAT' truck. Quality is crappy but we can clearly see, how things could look like vs. how things evolved  :)

Interesting! It hadn't really occurred to me that this one was so similar to that cancelled one. The more rectangular wheel arches fit the beefy "armored truck" look better than the gentler curves of the wheel arches on the previous version, and they even added doors. The running boards are also a good improvement both aesthetically and practically — it'd be hard to even imagine a minifigure climbing in and out of a vehicle so high off the ground without them!

The smaller bumper on the front dials back the aggressive look ever so slightly, feeling more genuinely like it's meant to protect against impact damage rather than allow the vehicle to plow through anything or anyone in its path with reckless abandon. The larger headlights/taillights and the clips so it can carry traffic barricades also feel like nice details from a public safety standpoint.

Overall, I'm not keen on SWAT vans and other militaristic sort of police vehicles for various reasons. Also, I sort of feel like a big off-roader and a fairly large helicopter seem sort of like overkill for responding to a bank robbery — whereas heavy-duty tactical vehicles like that might've made at least a LITTLE more sense in the context of a painstakingly planned, high-stakes raid on the crooks' actual hideout.

That said, I guess when you combine them with the various "story starter" details in the set (breakable walls, hinged skylight, security camera, alarm bell, mischievous squirrel, getaway van, drone, etc), they do a good job at elevating this beyond the previous bank robbery sets into something that makes more sense as the flagship product for this wave of police sets.

I liked the Sky Police armored truck, it fit well with the Cobra looking helicopter and Fighter Jet of that "semi-military" subtheme, but this version from the Bank set looks great as well.

The fact that 60210 was called Air Base further expanded the semi-military nudge to that theme.

LEGO also made a YF-23 lookalike stunt jet for 2021

The original helicopter from that "bomb factory" might've looked similar to some design features of a Kamov KA-52 or Sikorsky S-69 (experimental) military helicopter's design, with the co-axial double rotors and long tail section, as co-axial helicopters aren't that common.

Anyway, LEGO basicly made a completely new helicopter instead because the 2022 design helicopter looks very different , 1 rotor, landing skids and a rear cargo door and a new cockpit/nose part.

Instead of bombs, Daisy Kaboom wearing a beard disguise uses a garbage truck this time to ram a part of a prison wall in the 2022 police station, the 2017 and 2020 prisons have a tnt feature, maybe after the cancelation of the bomb factory set, they wanted to stay away from TNT escapes at the moment.

Also shooting ice cream or eggs is a nice comical approach to some of the 2022 sets.

So far, however, I don't think set design has crossed a line in terms of military/police, what you mostly see now are cops running/riding after people with handcuffs or net shooters.

853570: Police Accessory Set from 2016 is the only set I know remotely close to a gun/nightstick lookalike police weapon Part No: 60849  Name: Minifigure, Utensil Hose Nozzle Elaborate

Other themes and weapons, that's an entirely different discussion.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

I really liked the coaxial rotor design. Maybe it ultimately proved too complex for an actual set?

Or it was too dangerous for the children fingers if you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, fo4saken said:

Or it was too dangerous for the children fingers if you know what I mean.

Or just is planned to be reused in another set entirely. Lord knows that City subthemes have no shortage of opportunities to include helicopters. A design that feels slightly too militaristic in the context of police sets might be deemed just fine to be reused in the next Coast Guard or exploration-based subtheme, for instance.

60243: Police Helicopter Chase is like the only 2020 Police set not retiring, surprisingly , means the magnet pieces are still in production as well. 

I wonder if that piece will ever be re-used for other things, like a harbor/crane type of subtheme, the Sardine Factory set does have container with the new double doors.

The rumored $180 set being a train is still more likely however. (the last trains were $160 and $230 in dollars) but there also have been $200 set like Main Square.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

60243: Police Helicopter Chase is like the only 2020 Police set not retiring, surprisingly , means the magnet pieces are still in production as well. 

I wonder if that piece will ever be re-used for other things, like a harbor/crane type of subtheme, the Sardine Factory set does have container with the new double doors.

The rumored $180 set being a train is still more likely however. (the last trains were $160 and $230 in dollars) but there also have been $200 set like Main Square.

A container crane wouldn't be totally out of place in a railyard/cargo train set, either!

Edited by Lyichir

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

A container crane wouldn't be totally out of place in a railyard/cargo train set, either!

True, I didn't even think of that, a (magnet) container crane could work for a cargo train for sure.

The 2018 Cargo train did have it's own crane wagon with smaller containers , the 2014 and 2010 had overhead cargo cranes, and the 2019 space launch crane has retired in 2022.

Cargo as a subtheme could be interesting if they combine things like train, ship and maybe mail/package delivery in the same wave. 

2008 had mail and air cargo, 2013 had air and road cargo, 2017 had a road cargo terminal, so a 5 year gap would even fit in the timeline, and a post office/cargo transfer area could fit with the road plates design.

The new bank set does have a mailbox ,and the yellow bike in the picnic set might make people nostalgic for the 1998 yellow bike mail set.

Monkie kid kind of also does cargo with the mooncake set , packing cakes in boxes, then packing boxes into a vehicle (rocket).

Edited by TeriXeri

53 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Kind of makes me think, City Cops raid Friends, lol.

LOL! Yeah cuz the ice cream truck definitely looks like a Friends thing. 

I love the colors of that set, and the criminal figures look good. 

City figs of some years ago had many stereotype "angry" criminal faces, and this change is nice. 

8 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

LOL! Yeah cuz the ice cream truck definitely looks like a Friends thing. 

To be honest it looks more City to me. The colors are a little Friends-ish (I mean, it's an ice cream truck) but the design language (boxy, angular, slightly aggressive) is pure City.

12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

To be honest it looks more City to me. The colors are a little Friends-ish (I mean, it's an ice cream truck) but the design language (boxy, angular, slightly aggressive) is pure City.

Each to their own

Edited by Poodabricks

Amazing set. I only don't like the blue color difference on the helicopter's side sticker. Grhhh... Maybe I won't apply them on my set as they are not so much important imo.

Edited by fo4saken

9 hours ago, fo4saken said:

I only don't like the blue color difference on the helicopter's side sticker.

I don't even know what the point of that sticker is? Just some detailing?

20 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Yeah, agreed. I would never expect to see specific details like the silver "hot rod" style V8 motor with air scoop or rugged black grille guard on a Friends ice cream truck, even if they might make sense on other Friends vehicles. And they're in sharp contrast with the rounded features and chunky proportions of the LEGO Friends ice cream van from 41430 Summer Fun Water Park.

On a side note, https://twitter.com/friendshapedcar is a very enjoyable Twitter feed to browse through for examples of real-life cars with "friendly" proportions, whether as a source of creative inspiration or just for fun! Of course, A number of those designs could be just as viable as City vehicles as Friends ones. After all, some City vehicles like 30369 Beach Buggy are every bit as cutesy and charming as you'd expect a Friends counterpart to be, while some Friends vehicles like the moving van from 41704 Main Street Building have pretty much the same sturdy, utilitarian look you'd expect from a City equivalent.

That city ice cream truck could very well be a bank/valuables/prison transport van with some color/window swaps and roof without cone, its generic enough. 

The 2014 LEGO Movie ice cream truck had the same colors so I assume LEGO wanted to reuse them here or at least used it as inspiration. 

Overall I like that the 2022 police sets use very generic vehicles for the criminals, ice cream truck, garbage truck, cleaner truck and mini tractor are useful in City outside of a cops vs robber scenario. 

The black/teal car in the chase set also is nice, fits well with the other car on the 2021 car transporter.

Best of all not all those vehicles used by the criminals are bright red, gives me hope If lego does something like a bulldozer break in again that the vehicle could be yellow for example. 

Edited by TeriXeri

58 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

I don't even know what the point of that sticker is? Just some detailing?

LEGO typically uses such stickers for continuation of a stripe onto some prefab cockpit/tail section of a train/airplane/helicopter. 

In this case however with no stripe, the blue color mismatch just makes it worse. 

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

LEGO typically uses such stickers for continuation of a stripe onto some prefab cockpit/tail section of a train/airplane/helicopter. 

In this case however with no stripe, the blue color mismatch just makes it worse. 

Yes, it's strange because there is a neon yellow stripe that the sticker could have continued and made a less abrupt end.