Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

If the sales will drastically exceed the expectations then Lego might change their mind and fix it but not this year anymore I think

Just now, RandomSniper109 said:

I feel like these sets have potentially sold a lot better than lego was expecting, and if so I reckon there is a chance they would fix it and release it amongst another wave, not sure if that is plausible or not?

Nah. It takes at least a year for a set to be designed (i.e., from conceptualising to release), so they’re not able to change schedules so quickly. If there is more coming out in 2024 (which is highly unlikely), they would already have started designing the sets by now. 

The consequences of a wave suddenly selling better than expected could only be felt like 1.5-2 years later. The opposite however can happen VERY quickly (see Dots & Vidiyo) :laugh_hard:

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Nah. It takes at least a year for a set to be designed (i.e., from conceptualising to release), so they’re not able to change schedules so quickly. If there is more coming out in 2024 (which is highly unlikely), they would already have started designing the sets by now. 

The consequences of a wave suddenly selling better than expected could only be felt like 1.5-2 years later. The opposite however can happen VERY quickly (see Dots & Vidiyo) :laugh_hard:

Well hopefully we might get a new wave in 2025 then

4 minutes ago, RandomSniper109 said:

Well hopefully we might get a new wave in 2025 then

…seriously? :laugh_hard: Why would they randomly release Indy sets in 2025? Since they likely never had anything planned for DoD, you know, the reason any sane person would think was the reason for the“revival“, there is almost no chance for sets in 2024, let alone 2025. 

A theme this small never had a follow-up wave the year after, at least so far. It‘s best to simply enjoy the three sets we have and bury the notion of other sets. :shrug_oh_well:

32 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

…seriously? :laugh_hard: Why would they randomly release Indy sets in 2025? Since they likely never had anything planned for DoD, you know, the reason any sane person would think was the reason for the“revival“, there is almost no chance for sets in 2024, let alone 2025. 

A theme this small never had a follow-up wave the year after, at least so far. It‘s best to simply enjoy the three sets we have and bury the notion of other sets. :shrug_oh_well:

Because as this conversation was going, the current sales might have exceeded expectations and as you said it takes more than a year to design and release a brand new set from scratch 

57 minutes ago, GonzoTheGreat said:

Because as this conversation was going, the current sales might have exceeded expectations and as you said it takes more than a year to design and release a brand new set from scratch 

Show me another theme that had a gap like that without a new movie coming up to justify a return :tongue: This is a lethal dosis of hopium 

54 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Show me another theme that had a gap like that without a new movie coming up to justify a return :tongue: This is a lethal dosis of hopium 

Show me a licenced theme that was made (or came back) during time when sequel movie came and it didn’t include some sets based on the sequel movie :) Harry Potter, Pirates of Caribbean, LOTR all used the hype for the new movies to make at least few sets based on them yet we get only 3 OG Indy sets and that’s it…why did they even bother bringing back that theme?

Edited by Textorix

10 minutes ago, Textorix said:

why did they even bother bringing back that theme?

My guess is that they wanted to have tie-in sets to cash in on Indy, but didn‘t have confidence in sets based on DoD, so they focussed on remaking the bestsellers from the original run :shrug_oh_well:

I was about to say that I hope this doesn‘t wouldn‘t become a new trend, until I realised there are barely any movie-licensed themes left that could realistically return like that :laugh:

32 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

You’re literally the one who said this? 
The consequences of a wave suddenly selling better than expected could only be felt like 1.5-2 years later. The opposite however can happen VERY quickly” then someone said they were hopeful that new sets could come in 2025 and now you are losing your mind.

I don’t understand the notion that it would be unusual to have another wave in 2024. The original line had more sets in 2009 when there was no new movie, and we see it with other licenses all the time. Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, and Back to the Future got sets when there was “no cultural relevance” from a new film, so why can’t Indiana Jones?

Also I guess it could be possible that we’re not getting DoD sets to avoid spoilers and only original trilogy sets so they at least have something out for people who want sets after seeing the movie. We haven’t seen any DoD specific merchandise elsewhere yet either. 

10 minutes ago, EdWebhead said:

I don’t understand the notion that it would be unusual to have another wave in 2024. The original line had more sets in 2009 when there was no new movie, and we see it with other licenses all the time. Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, and Back to the Future got sets when there was “no cultural relevance” from a new film, so why can’t Indiana Jones?

Also I guess it could be possible that we’re not getting DoD sets to avoid spoilers and only original trilogy sets so they at least have something out for people who want sets after seeing the movie. We haven’t seen any DoD specific merchandise elsewhere yet either. 

I don’t get it either. If these pilot sets are gonna be mega successful there is no reason to not make more of them either next year or in 2025. Just because some leakers, LAN members, redditors and whoever else say there are currently no plans for more sets doesn’t mean there won’t be any in the future. I remember how we heard this about Gringotts set from the designers themselves like 2 years ago and look what we are getting now.

59 minutes ago, EdWebhead said:

me neither 

I know that a few certain members will think that me pointing this out is ridiculous, but just because we're not getting more sets this year doesn't mean it's dead in the water. For the first three years of its revival, Harry Potter only had waves in the summer (granted, the first wave had 7 sets) and speed champions still only has a single spring release every year.(yes, the 2 movie sets came out in August, but that was an exception, not the norm) It's not impossible that we get more sets around this time next year, although I wouldn't expect them to be based on DoD.

Edited by The_Fiery_Rooster

I can’t pretend to know what goes on with the LEGO design teams behind the scenes, and it seems like licensed themes are all handled uniquely.

So, this is just speaking from a background in another industry’s design, but I would be surprised if LEGO didn’t have a small team coming up with at least preliminary designs in a potential second wave of sets for 2024. Even if it’s just digital designs or sketches or something. I feel like LEGO would want to be prepared in case they’re surprised by success, but not investing so heavily that they’re wasting money if it’s not worth continuing.

That said, the Indy revival has been so strange that all bets are off, I think. And I’m just happy we got what we did as someone who missed the original line-up entirely.

I mean, the temple set alone is amazing, and I would’ve been happy with just that set releasing.

Edited by nicknack116

Even if the sets sell well (and it seems they are), we'll probably never get anything more — because why would we?

Indiana Jones is done after this year, quite possibly forever. If the rumours are true, Lucasfilm wants to pursue only Star Wars from now on.

These three sets might be LEGO Indiana Jones' swan song.

22 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Even if the sets sell well (and it seems they are), we'll probably never get anything more — because why would we?

Why are we getting more and more Harry Potter sets despite there being no more movies (and both latest FB movies flopping hard)? Because they sell well. Why this can't be the same case with Indy theme?

Edited by Textorix

10 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Why are we getting more and more Harry Potter sets despite there being no more movies (and both latest FB movies flopping hard)? Because they sell well. Why this can't be the same case with Indy theme?

Because Indiana Jones is a niche franchise with little followers compared to Harry Potter and doesn't even compare to the grossing of Wizarding World related stuff. Harry Potter doesn't need active movies/shows to be relevant while Indiana Jones does and still can't come close to the popularity of HP. 

3 hours ago, GonzoTheGreat said:

You’re literally the one who said this? 
The consequences of a wave suddenly selling better than expected could only be felt like 1.5-2 years later. The opposite however can happen VERY quickly” then someone said they were hopeful that new sets could come in 2025 and now you are losing your mind.

I was talking about evergreen themes. You know, like when they finally released a 501st Clonetrooper Battlepack after realising that such a set would be in high demand. Or producing a lot more Mandalorian sets after realising how big of a phenomenon the show became.

Indy however is not an evergreen theme and never will be. I‘ve never EVER seen a theme continue after receiving a wave comprised of merely three sets. Most themes start with a wave of at least twice as many sets and even they don‘t usually get extended.

As I‘ve pointed out many times before, they haven‘t done any follow-up waves for non-evergreen licensed in ages.

And again: why would they release only 3 sets in a year with a new movie and more in a year without one? Even evergreen themes crank up the volume in those years, e.g., last year‘s Jurassic World wave, which was much larger than those of other years.

I think it's possible that we could get some one-off D2Cs in the future, but assuming nothing else is indeed coming system-wise, I agree that this is probably it.  

Like, I feel like Indy isn't as popular as Harry Potter or Star Wars, but I do feel it's popular enough to warrant some future quote sets.  I could see a Grail temple diorama in a similar size as the Idol Temple (Indy + Henry + Elsa + Donovan + Grail Knight), or maybe the bridge duel from ToD (naturally the quote being "Oh, sh!t" :laugh:).  That's just purely my speculation, but I do legitimately think it wouldn't be completely off the table.  I mean, we got the D2C DeLorean like eight years after the original came out, with the only BTTF stuff in between that being two Dimensions packs (which doesn't really count, because they basically had every single possible license ever outside of Disney in those).  I didn't follow PoTC that much, but didn't we also get a one-off D2C a few years after that theme retired?  Anyway, point being, I think future dioramas would be possible, but I completely agree that whatever we get as far as system sets this year will be the end of it.

Edited by Kit Figsto

4 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I didn't follow PoTC that much, but didn't we also get a one-off D2C a few years after that theme retired? 

Yeah, but only because a new movie came out :tongue:

As you suggest, the only way I could see this theme continue is the same way as LOTR, with a small handful of D2C sets. But even that is pretty unlikely. If TLG had ANY faith in this, they would have released a DoD wave at the very least. 

Regardless if we get any more (and I wish that would make more) these sets are selling well. Sold out on Lego.com in less than a day and out of stock at BaN. This theme does have a wider appeal than most of you think. I’m thankful for what we got and if Lego decides to make additional sets in the future, they would again be a big hit. Who knows, Lego could surprise us. Until then, enjoy what we have been given. 

Even if the sets sell well, that‘s no guarantee. The sales would have to be high enough to not only warrant an extension of the license, but also a complete change of strategy. Licensed sets without movie/show support just don‘t happen anymore outside of evergreen themes and Icons :shrug_oh_well:

In addition, it is nothing unusual and nothing that rarely happens that LEGO stocks are quickly empty after the start of sales.
Either because LEGO can never correctly assess popularity, or plays it safe, or calculates a deliberate shortage to make the item look more popular than it is.
The delivery dates changed several times on the same day.
It is not surprising that a theme that has a certain reach among fans when it is relaunched after 15 years is initially very popular.
But that alone doesn't have to be a reason to immediately call the designers to a crisis meeting to design a new wave as quickly as possible.
After all, the hype could then no longer be so gigantic.
LEGO could also say "thank goodness it went well" checked, done, next topic.

Edited by DrHenryJonesJr

3 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

But that alone doesn't have to be reason to immediately call the designers to a crisis meeting to design a new wave as quickly as possible.
After all, the hype could then no longer be so gigantic.

Exactly. Even if the sets sell very well, they might simply attribute that to the hype surrounding the movie. 

If you want to believe in additional waves in the coming years, feel free to do so. I don’t. Doing so will in all likelihood only end in disappointment.

Man, it's amazing how much my enthusiasm for Indy LEGO has dropped between seeing the Promobricks article last fall to today.

The three sets we're getting are great. I'm genuinely thankful for these.

But, might have been easier not to drop these three than to release them and then nothing else. We could still have more, but I guess I'll take these three as the only ones we'll ever get again and be content. 

FWIW, my local LEGO store and local Target were completely sold out early Saturday for the release, in addition to being back-ordered online. So, people WANT these sets, that much is clear. Or... LEGO just sucks at stocking sets for releases lol.

Edited by mirkwoodspiders