SteamSewnEmpire

Increasingly losing patience with Lego

47 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Can I get a "Amen" for this gentleman here?

Sure! Just press this button:

You are so right Davide, there is nothing more to add

I also truly believe in every word you said, Davide!

All the very best,
Thorsten

On 3/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, Phil B said:

The reason for all this has been highlighted many times before: just not enough market for a company that focuses on mass production for a broad audience.

They made attempts, several times even, but none of them brought in returns that justified the cost of creating the (often complex and expensive) parts. See the 12V system, the My Own Train line and anything containing non-plastic components.

LEGO even made that new ramp (?) piece that connects the floor to a rail in the Hidden Side train set and I remember the designers saying it will help with making more train sets in other themes as they don't need full sections of rails.

Yet we got nothing. It just doesn't sell. I just hope we get more Creator Expert trains because the market for them probably doesn't need to be as large.

36 minutes ago, Maple said:

LEGO even made that new ramp (?) piece that connects the floor to a rail in the Hidden Side train set and I remember the designers saying it will help with making more train sets in other themes as they don't need full sections of rails.

I think the goal was to make it more accessible/playable to kids that would otherwise get annoyed by the fact placing train on tracks is so hard.

If it didn't help, no wonders - for case of my kids who just don't play with trains (rarely if even) having such ramp didnt change the overall picture at all.

15 minutes ago, Bartosz said:

I think the goal was to make it more accessible/playable to kids that would otherwise get annoyed by the fact placing train on tracks is so hard.

If it didn't help, no wonders - for case of my kids who just don't play with trains (rarely if even) having such ramp didnt change the overall picture at all.

As a kid I had an awesome none LEGO train that came with a special piece just to get the trains on the track correctly and even when running if they were slightly off it would correct it. I loved that.

So what you are telling me is that kids today are terrible. I already knew that. :tongue:

However if LEGO is basing ANYTHING on the popularity of Hidden Side then they are really being ignorant. The theme was a failure and I believe it was all because the boxes were so ugly and confusing.

47 minutes ago, Maple said:

I believe it was all because the boxes were so ugly and confusing.

Most probably there other reasons as well but for me that was the case. I usually buy sets for parts - and that rather randomly and almost always in a store, so I can touch the boxes, turn them around, see what else may catch my attention. I am really enjoying doing this. None of the Hidden Side sets did that to me - I had a hard time in figuring out, what really is inside. And then I swiftly lose interest. I never purchased one, even when they were on sale. Yes: Confusion was is for me.

But then: This was made for kids wanting to have fun not for (old) AFOLs browsing (randomly with no plan at all) for pieces ...

Best
Thorsten 

I agree the Hidden Side boxes weren't the easiest to understand what parts were included. I often checked on BrickSet while at the store when they were on sale. I did pick up the train, mainly for the railing ramp, but also to check out the new axle design. I wasn't sold on the new axles, but the train did have some parts to use.