Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Brick

[MOC] Neo Galaxy Explorer - Lego Ideas submission

Since I've recently picked up two large boxes from my parent's attic containing my old Classic Space sets, I've also started to design models in the spirit of the old Classic Space theme. I started with Classic Space / Star Wars mesh-ups (see here if you're curious), but then I wanted to do an homage to my favourite Classic Space set and here's the result:

640x512.png

Unfortunately, my vision contains parts that use colours that Lego doesn't currently have in its inventory. So I had two choices, either to compromise on my design in order to make a regular MOC or to shoot for the stars and enter it on the LEGO Ideas platform...as the title indicates, I opted for the latter:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2a57e5ea-cf61-4129-b4ac-b09fe3d15107

As you can see, I wanted to modernise the design with more curves, slopes and tiles while keeping the classic look & feel, the clean, sleek appearance and as many features as I could. Also, Classic Space sets usually had dope play features, so it was important for me to also include some kind of gimmick, which is the fully detachable shuttle in the back: Two ships in one!

Here are some more pictures:

400x320.png 400x320.png 400x320.png 400x320.png 400x320.png 400x320.png

So if you like it, I'd appreciate it if you followed this link and support the entry so that this set can be made into a reality.

Cheers.

400x320.png

This is kinda off-topic but care to share your method for rendering that light grid in the background? It looks great.

I created the backgrounds in a regular image editor. Personally, I'm using Pixelmator Pro, but any odd image editor will do. Photoshop is of course the best, but I don't plan on paying Adobe prices and for stuff like this it really doesn't make a difference. 

If you have any specific questions, I'm glad to help, but going through the entire process would probably be too much for now. The short version is: I created the grid by using geometrical shapes, and distorted them to give it the appearance of having depth. I did some more fine tuning (like blurring parts, etc.)

Edited by Tom_Brick

Wow - all those curves!  If feels like Neo-Retro-Classic Space to me, and definitely a fun interpretation of the good ol' CS stuff.

The way the wings of the auxiliary craft fit in with the main engines while docked is very nice and echoes the original while still being something new and interesting.  Great build!  :classic:

You certainly hit the nail on the head with the point of the older classic space sets having 'dope' play features, and I'd say yours is no exception! You certainly carried over the play function very nicely, but the aesthetics! It's not too greebly, but not plain at all. You've got the perfect amount. The shaping is exactly how I'd imagine a modern twist to it, while still keeping the old styling features-not just colouring. I dont support many project ideas, but just had to with this one! 

I wonder, the rectangular gap behind the cockpit on the 'mothership', the bricks behind that... Is there capability to make that removable and make some kind of storage space or small minifig seating area in it or something? ie, another play function. I kinda feel like as big as it is, it feels like it needs an extra play feature kinda thing... But that's the only minor criticism I have! 

Thank's to everybody for your encouraging words, I really do appreciate it.

@Fuppylodders:

You make a good point. I need the gap for the opening mechanism of the cockpit and I added some greeble underneath to give it more of a purposeful look, but it should be possible to make the slopes behind removable. It shouldn't really affect the structural integrity. The more play features the merrier. Only issue is that there probably won't be a lot of space underneath, but maybe I can design a tiny, foldable probe satellite or something along those lines...I don't know, I'll have a look. Thanks for the input.