Sign in to follow this  
Clone OPatra

[ALT BUILD] 71735 Bolobo's Hover-Raft

After reviewing 71735 Tournament of Elements, I decided to take it apart and build it into something else. Here's the result using nearly all of the pieces from the main structure:

50949577706_753b090bec_c.jpg

My main idea was using the red poles as a hovercraft base, and the rest grew out of fiddling around from there. Bolobo has a big control yoke inside to steer:

50948872283_94b63b00c6_z.jpg

There's a little engine on the back controlling the turbine made from scythes:

50948872128_ed356a6cc8_z.jpg

There's a ladder on one side...

50949577896_00f07b9fc1_z.jpg

...leading up to his little covered garden above.

50948871778_0706617fe6_z.jpg

Here are a couple of other overall shots. Let me know what you think!

50949675242_2b1a5508ac_z.jpg

50948871273_a3eed10127_z.jpg

Sweet! That's an original idea.

How many parts were left-overs?

Looks really nice, especially for an alternative build!

30 minutes ago, Nom Carver said:

No offence but... why is this featured in the front page?

It's an experiment. To see who's offended by it. You won :laugh:

5 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Looks really nice, especially for an alternative build!

Thanks! I was going for something as random as they used to put on the back of boxes / instructions when LEGO still did that. A lot of those builds were creative but objectively pretty bad.

4 hours ago, Nom Carver said:

What do you dislike about it in particular?

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Sweet! That's an original idea.

How many parts were left-overs?

Thanks! Only about five parts from the main structure left-over. I didn't use the parts that make up the action feature with the cyclone bit.

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

What do you dislike about it in particular?

Maybe because there are bigger and more complex builds posted on this forum? But I personally like it a lot.

I really thought it's a portable building, more than a hovercraft... but great efforts into making an alternate build. I have this set but I haven't opened it. Always fun to mess with some of the smaller NINJAGO sets

13 hours ago, makoy said:

I really thought it's a portable building, more than a hovercraft... but great efforts into making an alternate build.

Well, erm, in a certain sense it is a portable building :look::head_back: Thanks!

On 2/16/2021 at 7:50 AM, Nom Carver said:

I think it's important for the community to support good alt builds, since they represent a much more accessible way for most people to be creative with Lego than huge MOCs with hundreds of minifig hands as greebles. It's especially important for us to carry on the torch of alt builds since Lego no longer features them on box art! I don't particularly know why this was chosen for the frontpage, apart from it being a good MOC, but IMO Eurobricks is a more welcoming site when small MOCs and alt builds are featured.

In any case, it's a good creation. It looks good for play, with plenty of nice spaces to pose minifigs! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Man with beard

Bolobo is the nature guy right? The MOC is much better than anything I could do with using only pieces from one set and having that limitation. That said, It doesn't really feel like something Bolobo would have I think it would seem more like his kind of thing if it had more greenery which I can understand why it doesn't because the set it comes from only has a few pieces that would fit if I remember correctly. Also, it seems a little bit to modern for Bolobo to pilot I think it would seem more fitting to him if it was pulled by animals or plants or something like that from what I remember from the show he isn't very smart (I could be completely off with that) so it doesn't really fit that he has a hovercraft. But, there were no animals or tons of plant elements included in the set so I can understand why it doesn't have that. On the positive side of things, the building techniques used are very original and creative I especially like how you made the ladder to get up to the second floor and the turbine those are both great. Also, including the garden on top is great I think that is the one thing that really connects it to Bolobo and how you crammed so much greenery into that small space is impressive.

Overall using the Lego ideas system to review it I would give it:

5/5 for originality I would never have thought of Bolobo in a hovercraft.

5/5 again for building techniques it had some very clever piece usage. 

3/5 for details it had a lot of nice little details but that it doesn't have more greenery really takes away from it.

Overall 13/15 Good job with it I do like it and it is better than anything I could do but could be better at the same time.