Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Some better pictures of the prelims surfaced. I just saw great hall and the Fluffy set. I wouldnt buy Harry Potter sets anyway anymore (money..) but I think they really dont look good. Im ok with the idea. But Lockhart looks bad, Riddle looks bad, and both Basilisk and Fluffy are not good builds. I even like the head use and everything for the Basilisk - but the middle body section looks really bad..

25 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Minifigures in prelims are always bad because they are either reuse or just prototypes so if you want to rate their quality wait for official pictures. Otherwise I agree with you that sets look bad (I mean COS and Forbidden Coridor) but I will rather not go into details because I get bashed for criticizing june sets again.... and yeah that middle section of Basilisk could be better but the mould is still great.

Yeah one thing with the Basilisk and Fluffy builds is that at least they're not like the Jurassic World dinos and you can actually alter parts of their construction if you like. The same thing happened with the Horntail a couple of years back where there were a few edits people made on it that imo helped it look much more impressive. There was even one I used which was very simple with taking one of the tail joints and using it for the Horntail's neck, helping it look more snake-like and less like a bird. 

For me personally as long as the Fluffy heads and Basilisk head and tail are good moulds and have nice printing then I'll be happy, everything brick-built in-between can always be changed. I think in the preliminerary pictures the moulded pieces didn't even look printed so they should end up looking even better and more accurate (imagine seeing preliminary pics of the Jurassic dinos plain without printing!)  

I’m not referring to those secret leaked catalog photos. But why can't we post photos of the golden and new Hooch minifigures here?

4 minutes ago, ZeLuiz08 said:

I’m not referring to those secret leaked catalog photos. But why can't we post photos of the golden and new Hooch minifigures here?

Because the only leaks that are allowed to be posted on Eurobricks are textual ones. Images of leaked sets or figures can be discussed but not posted. 

It's all about Eurobricks' relationship with LEGO.

We were talking about Angelina Johnson a little while back. So I made a version of her potential figures in LDD, these are the parts and colours I would wish LEGO uses:

Lego Angelina Johnson concept made in LDD

Hopeful she makes an appearance in a Common Room or future castle set :)

7 hours ago, Seaber said:

Why only four years? 2018 was the release of the second Fantastic Beasts film and there were at that time plans for three more films in the series to be released which would take us well past the four year deadline you've described. 

True, but Lego didn't know how successful the theme would be. They did two films per year early on, which would see them get through the series in four years. Maybe they would have done tie in sets with the new films when they came out, but not perhaps a full on Harry Potter theme. 

2 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

True, but Lego didn't know how successful the theme would be.

They also made the Bricktober pack with Umbridge and Slughorn, in case the theme didn't get as far as the later movies, so we would get figures of most of the key characters. Making a theme based on 10 to 20 year old films was a gamble, but one I'm so glad has paid off.

So now that they have to string the HP theme out for the foreseeable future I’m imagining this bs with Gringotts is going to happen more often. We’re going to have to wait needless years to get the sets we want so they can string it out like Star Wars

5 hours ago, Juve said:

I wouldnt agree for people that have been kids when the original theme started it would be great to celebrate. Also print and recolor budget shouldnt really concern us its not like they have limits they can do whatever they want a multimilion dollar company

i was a kid when it started.

They absolutely do have limits. And the gold figures are taking away budget that would otherwise go to normal prints/figures.

Certainly they will want to spin it as if you get something extra. but that's not really the case.

11 minutes ago, deskp said:

And the gold figures are taking away budget that would otherwise go to normal prints/figures.

That would only be a valid point under the assumption that the budget remained constant. What if TLG increased the budget for the theme just for the anniversary? As long as we don't know that (am I wager we'll never find out), this is a moot point :tongue:

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

That would only be a valid point under the assumption that the budget remained constant. What if TLG increased the budget for the theme just for the anniversary? As long as we don't know that (am I wager we'll never find out), this is a moot point :tongue:

An increase or decrease of budget is completely irrelevant to wether or not someone sees these golden anniversary figures as a waste of budget though. 

14 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

An increase or decrease of budget is completely irrelevant to wether or not someone sees these golden anniversary figures as a waste of budget though. 

Waste, would rather had some extra owls :tongue:

7 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's only a waste if that budget theoretically could have gone to something else instead. My point is, if the budget was increased specifically so they could go all out on these golden figures, there's nothing to complain about really :laugh: Besides, are there really any glaring omissions in these two waves they could've spent that part of the budget on anyway?

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

It's only a waste if that budget theoretically could have gone to something else instead. My point is, if the budget was increased specifically so they could go all out on these golden figures, there's nothing to complain about really :laugh: Besides, are there really any glaring omissions in these two waves they could've spent that part of the budget on anyway?

A decent body for Fluffy.  That brick built one if that's what we are getting is absolutely atricious.  It looks like the body of a rhinoceros to me.

2 minutes ago, karrit said:

A decent body for Fluffy.  That brick built one if that's what we are getting is absolutely atricious.  It looks like the body of a rhinoceros to me.

To be fair, Fluffy looks atrocious in the film, so Lego never had a chance! :pir_laugh2:

The "moulded vs brick-built creatures" discussion is always funny to me :laugh_hard:

*TLG release moulded dinosaurs* "That looks like Playmobil, give us brick-built stuff!"

*TLG release brick-built dragons* "That looks blocky and rubbish, give us unique moulds!"

*TLG release hybrids* "Thanks, I hate it."

Edited by Lego-Freak

11 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Besides, are there really any glaring omissions in these two waves they could've spent that part of the budget on anyway?

Exactly. Love or hate the builds, it's undeniable that the selection of new figures and molds in these sets easily trump what we've been getting before. We're getting entirely new printsets for existing characters like Hooch, extremely minor characters like the Flumes and Sinistra, new creature molds for Fluffy, Cat Hermione, and the Basilisk... Just compare that to how poor most of the figures have been in 2019 and 2020, and even in some of the 2018 sets, where we couldn't get new prints for characters like Krum, Lavender, Molly, Ginny (CoS or HBP), Bellatrix, etc. Even excluding the golden figs, this is still shaping up to be easily the best wave (excluding CMFs) for Harry Potter minifigs ever, and I for one am very excited.

According to mini_legogo, the CoS will include a new variant of Tom Riddle, with the badge on his torso and a grey base color for the legs.

27 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

According to mini_legogo, the CoS will include a new variant of Tom Riddle, with the badge on his torso and a grey base color for the legs.

Glad they're updating the torso to have the badge, not too sure about changing the leg coloring though.

10 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Glad they're updating the torso to have the badge, not too sure about changing the leg coloring though.

Definitely good news that Tom Riddle's Hogwarts uniform will be much more recognisable! I'm not too worried about the leg colour as the COS Grindelwald minifigure had the same and look ok and even if it isn't that great hopefully his torso could match up to the black leg printed robes they've used for loads of characters in the last few years. 

Now if we could just find out if the Student minifigures of this wave will have black printed robes too...:grin:

4 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Definitely good news that Tom Riddle's Hogwarts uniform will be much more recognisable! I'm not too worried about the leg colour as the COS Grindelwald minifigure had the same and look ok and even if it isn't that great hopefully his torso could match up to the black leg printed robes they've used for loads of characters in the last few years. 

Now if we could just find out if the Student minifigures of this wave will have black printed robes too...:grin:

It definitely won't look awful but I do think black legs would look better, still not a huge loss as I'm sure he'll look fantastic regardless! 

And I second your last sentence as knowing what torso's the students will be getting in these sets pretty much determines wether or not I'll be buying the Hogwarts sets. 

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

The "moulded vs brick-built creatures" discussion is always funny to me :laugh_hard:

*TLG release moulded dinosaurs* "That looks like Playmobil, give us brick-built stuff!"

*TLG release brick-built dragons* "That looks blocky and rubbish, give us unique moulds!"

*TLG release hybrids* "Thanks, I hate it."

Lmao, thanks, I didn't laugh so much for a long time 😂

Thinking about it, if Tom's pants will be grey, does that mean his (printed) jumper will also be grey? I doubt they'd make the legs a lighter color than the jumper, that'd look really off.

1 minute ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Thinking about it, if Tom's pants will be grey, does that mean his (printed) jumper will also be grey? I doubt they'd make the legs a lighter color than the jumper, that'd look really off.

I'm pretty sure the legs will be dark grey with printing on like Grindelwalds: 

43570000361_7bfd02f090.jpg

His pants are made to match his blazer, not his sweater.

463bd5f5fe093f80fe4d7526654e8eb7.png

Edited by deskp

It looks to me like grey legs is the way to go for Tom Riddle, if the name of the game is 'screen-accuracy'. It's a good way to make the distinction between Riddle-era Hogwarts uniform and the Potter-era uniform, which a quick Google tells me had black trousers.